Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2016, 09:05 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
He never released his tax returns so we truly have no idea if he shaved "$800 million" off of his net worth
It doesn't matter. People are allowed to lie about their net worth, its not illegal. As long as the government says he paid what he owed in taxes, i'm satisfied, i'm pretty sure they went over his businesses with a fine tooth comb, he's not 'getting away with' paying less than he owes, he's paying exactly what he owes, just like the rest of us do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 09:13 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Nearly 100,000 New Yorkers sign petition to get rid of Melania Trump | The Independent

Wow are libs pathetically or what? How does her living in the city affect them?
Are you that unaware of the expense it cost to provide security at Trump Tower. There should be every "thinking minded" citizen in New York and Across the country objecting to paying for her security to stay in New York.
Only a Republican would support that kind of waste of money.... Typical Republican Madness, they always want to turn a blind eye to their excessive waste.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:15 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
It doesn't matter. People are allowed to lie about their net worth, its not illegal. As long as the government says he paid what he owed in taxes, i'm satisfied, i'm pretty sure they went over his businesses with a fine tooth comb, he's not 'getting away with' paying less than he owes, he's paying exactly what he owes, just like the rest of us do.

I'm sure that "slippery as an eel" Trump has a LOT to hide in his taxes and his financial dealings

Old 12-04-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I'm sure that "slippery as an eel" Trump has a LOT to hide in his taxes and his financial dealings
Are you not trusting the governmental agency who's in charge of making sure people pay what they owe? Do you think they're letting him break the law? I mean, he's either paying his proper taxes or he's not, do you think he's not paying what he owes?

Old 12-04-2016, 09:29 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Why would Melania need protection? Her only enemies are liberals who are non-violent by definition.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Why would Melania need protection? Her only enemies are liberals who are non-violent by definition.
Love Trumps Hate.

That's their motto so yeah, you're right, if anything, the left will protect her, after all, they're lovers not haters.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:31 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Nobody currently lives in the Hyde Park house, and as I recall, the Obamas have used homes in Martha's Vineyard, Hawaii, and recently, California as alternate residences
Those are places they have stayed, but not the 'one private residence' (other than the White House) that the POTUS can designate for full protection.

Quote:
specifically because using the Hyde Park home causes major disruption for neighbors.
I know he doesn't go there very often, but I've never heard that that is the reason. Where did you hear this?

Quote:
What gives you the impression that the Hyde Park home has been under "full protection" for the past eight years?
Middle-aged mom gave a pretty good description (on another thread, IIRC)....as much as the public is likely allowed to be aware of. Full protection is the designation. Obviously full protection for a single family house, that isn't visited often, in a less dense area, isn't going to cost as much as protecting Trump Tower. But that is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if the Secret Service protection for the one designated private residence costs $1 per day or $1 million per day. It is what it is. The one private residence that each POTUS designates isn't going to have the same cost to the taxpayers for each POTUS. It isn't like the specific dollar allotment that all former Presidents get for office expenses each year. It is always going to be a unique amount.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:47 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
I agree that he is fully entitled to maintain Trump Tower as the family's alternate residence. I just think it's thoughtless to do so, both from the perspective of disruption to the community and the on-going cost to the taxpayer. First families cause an incredible amount of chaos wherever they go, which is something Trump needs to keep in mind now that he has been elected. I think it would be much better for Melania and Barron to move to the White House. It's the First Family's choice, however, as you pointed out, so if they want to stay, everybody will just have to suck it up and deal with it. As for the comment about the Obamas choosing not to return to Hyde Park because of the inconvenience it causes to their neighbors, it's something I read a long time ago when I grew curious about their previous life in Chicago. I cannot officially attribute it. If I run across it again, though, I'll update my post with a link.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:49 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times
REPUBLICAN seem to find a way to try and justify anything and everything about Trump.... but the rest of us know how much they spent the past 8yrs making issues out of anything and everything. Going forward, what Democrats have to do is learn to Ignore Republican Bickering .... the imbecilic nature of their manner and mode is never more obvious than it has shown itself to be since the campaign process began, as well as the stupid stuff they came up with over the past 8 yrs.

At no time in the Future shall the Democrats allow anything Republican have to say in their normal incessantly complaining mode, to influence the thoughts of any democratic minded person. We now see in their minds, if its a white man involved, their mind is that he can do no wrong, as long as he is white male and a republican.
That's the level of insidiousness that is being demonstrated.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:52 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You are very confused if you don't know how far NYC has come since that unprecedented attack. The NYPD now leads in terror prevention and security. Seriously, NYPD officers train those all over on security and policing and they are often deployed out to other disaster areas to help out since they have experience. NYPD is world class in security. Easily one of the best police forces in the world.
I was in NYC for about a month during this time in 2014. The coverage in Penn Station and all the interlocking tunnels/walkways was amazing. Probably 5 or 6 different agencies/entities including very alert personnel wearing Army Combat Uniforms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies