Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 05:22 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
We are already in a bubble.

I would say this no matter who won.

The stock market is above 25 for the Shiller P/E, which is a sign it is coming back down.
A stock market correction is something the country can get past with a shrug. It is actually a part of its natural cycle. It does not even begin to compare to the housing bubble where people lost everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 05:22 AM

35,716 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Actually one GOP rep already said that a trillion dollar stimulus sounds like a good number. Trump wants to burn a trillion, and it seems like they'll be happy to do it. Should we spend on a massive emergency measure when there is no emergency?

They have to spend what they must- yes- but not even passed the budget yet-- agreeing to stuff does not mean they FUND IT!

Lawmakers are expected to release a short-term spending bill on Tuesday that would run through April 28.

GOP chairman: Spending bill expected to last through April | TheHill

Old 12-06-2016, 05:26 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txjl123 View Post
Trump isn't thinking about economy yet, he is working on "jobs". With that much incentives to save just 1000 Carrier jobs, there'd be thousands more companies threaten to move to Mexico. It does not seem so brilliant.
He really needs to broaden his view, and see the full picture. Someone also needs to talk to him about the overall consequences of imposing 35-45% tax on imports. Such large tax hike would be devastating. I am afraid we are about to witness why a businessman fails as a politician.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:35 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
I am guessing somewhere between year one and year two we should see things start going south. Followed by two more years of trying to dig deeper to stop the economy from crashing all while making things worse. I actually hope I am wrong on this, but only time will tell.
That's true, but Trump will be expanding both his brand and his own personal wealth during his first term, leaving the wreckage behind for either a Democrat or his primary opponent winner to fix.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:56 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,633,295 times
Well, chances are now that we have all Republicans in there they will find a way to do the things Obama go blocked on. Republicans have a habit of running the deficit up and then when the Democrat gets elected the blame falls on their shoulders. (Typical) If Trump insists on building a wall we will find that Mexico won't pony up for it. The wall alone will throw us into a deficit.
Republicans the ball is in your court now. Don't mess it up! No excuses either....

Old 12-06-2016, 06:05 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I think he's trying to pull a pump and dump. I think his infrastructure plan (if it comes to play) will boost the economy a little bit for a short while, and then it will all come crashing down. Trump is trying to pump this baby up long enough to win a second term before the inevitable destruction that supply-side economics brings.

In essence, I think Trump is going to ride the Obama's economic recovery for as long as he can (while claiming credit, of course), implement the infrastructure rebuild after the recovery loses steam, and hope the artificial boost it gives to the economy wins him another four years before the economy plummet.
Ride Obama's economic recovery?? don't take off those blinders liberals... Merry Christmas...

Old 12-06-2016, 06:08 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,765,643 times
Trump will do some amazingly good things to help make our country economically strong. There will be no 3rd-rate plans in his future..... Donald things BIG!

Have some confidence in him! ....Let's get on board the Trump Train and ride!

Old 12-06-2016, 06:13 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,929,260 times
I'm still looking for the recovery. For the past two years we've had a Federal Reserve itching to raise rates, but the lack of growth in the economy has shut down any discussions of an increase. Overnight, on election night, the Treasuries (rates) jumped and continue to climb just on the anticipation of a pro-growth administration. They will likely fall slightly on actual news, but they won't stall like they have for the past two to three years.

39,082 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
People will cherry pick some single economic indicator, ignoring all the others. Very predictable.

Another thing thats predictable? We will most likely have a recession within the next 4 years. And that was true no matter who won.
Agreed. Presidents really don't matter as much as voters like to think, though if Trump were to be successful with his trade restrictions he could do some real damage. Likewise, fixing some of the unintended consequences of the post-recession regulatory reforms could boost the economy. Economic prognostication is even harder than political. But, looking at indicators and historical trends, a recession is long overdue. I think we see weakness by the second quarter of next year. Maybe recession by 2018. The infrastructure spending will take some time to get passed and get moving. By the time it comes along, if it does, it will be more in the lines of stimulus to help with recovery than a shot in the arm to an already strong economy.

12,687 posts, read 6,740,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I think he's trying to pull a pump and dump. I think his infrastructure plan (if it comes to play) will boost the economy a little bit for a short while, and then it will all come crashing down. Trump is trying to pump this baby up long enough to win a second term before the inevitable destruction that supply-side economics brings.

In essence, I think Trump is going to ride the Obama's economic recovery for as long as he can (while claiming credit, of course), implement the infrastructure rebuild after the recovery loses steam, and hope the artificial boost it gives to the economy wins him another four years before the economy plummet.
There is no Obama economic recovery. Oh sure, the stock market is doing just great. But more people are out of work now than at anytime since the 70's -- and that was even long before the women were fully integrated into the workforce.

And before somebody starts spouting BS about "It's all just baby boomers retiring!" let's put that into context. The LFPR has not recovered to its pre-recession levels for any age demographic from 16 - 55 years old. Translation: If you are between the ages of 16 and 55, then you are less likely to have a job today than you were in 2004. The only groups whose LFPR went up was people over 55, many of whom had to come out of retirement for their own survival.

A recovery implies that things have gotten back to where they were beforehand. They certainly haven't.

That may not be all Obama's fault. The economy is a fickle thing and the President of the United States has very little control over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies