Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 07:02 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,621,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Sadly, I think their failures will be blamed on takers/poor/foreigners and they will draw up more culture wars to blame them in order to justify the need for more regressive tax cuts so the "job-creators" can access more cash to "jump-start" the economy...
Of course.

They'll do everything they can to try to shift the blame if things turn out badly. But that tactic only works with their hyperpartisan base. As you can readily see in this forum, there are still RWNJs who to this day insist that either the failed 2003 invasion of Iraq was a good decision or that it was Bill Cinton who did it.

But their opinion is more than a couple of standard deviations out from the norm. So, essentially, they just don't count. They can be dismissed as readily as those who deny the moon landings. In some cases, they're the same people.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 07:07 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,655,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I wasn't an enthusiastic Hillary supporter and I think she ran an obviously lousy campaign. But her loss goes much deeper than appearances.

This is an excellent article on how Hillary's "allies" actually did a lot of heavy lifting for Trump.

Uniquely Talented: Only the Democrats Could Have Lost to Trump | Fred On Everything

The author is a former Marine and Vietnam vet. I read his columns from time to time and enjoy his writing.

Maybe you will, too.
When I went out to vote, I did not vote against Hilary.

I did not wish that Pence or some other stiff Republican wearing a red tie was on the ballot.

I voted for Donald Trump!

Because this nation has been on a downward spiral for decades now and both parties are to blame. Also a lot of what he says needs to happen needs to happen if we want to continue to have a sovereign country founded upon the principles that it was founded on.

The Democrats wanted to throw it away for sure as they have been. The Republican party did no better.

A "progressive" movement toward the United Nations over the United States.

I couldn't be happier that Donald Trump (Not Mitt Romney, Pence, etc) won the election.

Drain the freaking swamp already! Time to take out the trash.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post

I did not wish that Pence or some other stiff Republican wearing a red tie was on the ballot.

Because this nation has been on a downward spiral for decades now and both parties are to blame. Also a lot of what he says needs to happen needs to happen if we want to continue to have a sovereign country founded upon the principles that it was founded on.

The Democrats wanted to throw it away for sure as they have been. The Republican party did no better.

I couldn't be happier that Donald Trump (Not Mitt Romney, Pence, etc) won the election.
Good for you.

Let's see how he governs for the country.

Quote:
He won't drain the swamp if he keeps adding reptiles.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:48 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,655,559 times
Quote:
Good for you.

Let's see how he governs for the country.

He won't drain the swamp if he keeps adding reptiles.

There reality is, to fix the foundational problems in this country there will be sacrifice. No one get's their rotten tooth pulled because it feels good, but if it doesn't get pulled you go septic and die.

The reality is, America has been living far above and beyond their means living off a credit card and monopoly fiat bills. America's wealth is tied to a digital number on a screen that can disappear in an instant.

Basically, we have no foundation to stand on. We're holding up the world standing on a mound of sand.

Any progress in strengthening the foundation is progress.

Old 12-12-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
There reality is, to fix the foundational problems in this country there will be sacrifice. No one get's their rotten tooth pulled because it feels good, but if it doesn't get pulled you go septic and die.

The reality is, America has been living far above and beyond their means living off a credit card and monopoly fiat bills. America's wealth is tied to a digital number on a screen that can disappear in an instant.

Basically, we have no foundation to stand on. We're holding up the world standing on a mound of sand.
So typical of the pessimistic right wing doom and gloom.

Quote:
Any progress in strengthening the foundation is progress.
So, you'll be disappointed when the policies from these globalists/Wall St parasites result in even more shifting of wealth to the top and fewer decent jobs for the rest of us. Putting the top execs of America's corporate owners directly into governmental policy-making positions won't result in any form of progress.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:21 AM

29,565 posts, read 9,799,775 times
Quote:
One factor that will be interesting to observe as it develops...

With this very fragile GOP victory, they nonetheless control both houses of congress and will soon have the supreme court back in their hands.

From January 20th onwards, whatever occurs, positive or negative, is 100% on them.

We should all hope for more positive. And that may very well be the case that the economy improves for the vast majority of the public and that long overdue infrastructure improvements finally get underway.

Of course, it could go the other way and result in silly privatization measures to degrade public service at no tax savings while rewarding insider cronies and economic gains continue to flow to those who least need them.

Stay tuned, folks.

Let's see how the Pubs govern.

Will it be a repeat of 2001-07?

Two questions come to mind...

How much credit either way can we give to any four years regardless of POTUS or what Congress does or does not do? Not to say the actions of our government don't make a difference, of course they do, but when it comes to all the other factors that affect our lives, our near 20 trillion dollar economy, our futures, I often think we give too much credit to government and/or have too high of hopes that our government can make that big a difference toward all our well being.

Q2, how true the next four years "are all on them" in light of what happened when Obama became POTUS and Congress was also more in the hands of Democrats? IOWs, doesn't take a majority to obstruct what the majority wants to do, and that doesn't even take into the account what other influences will have their way at local, state and federal levels, along with all that comes from the private sector either way.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Good point, will it be a repeat of 2008-10?

IMO this is why you see the general 8 year cycle between parties.

Exception of course is the Senate with the dems lose because they blame urban problems on guns (symptom) instead of the root causes.

IMO, if the dems give up on guns, they're going to start getting back the Senate. Look at the last presidential run....abortion? *crickets* The repubs have adjusted a bit, so we are likely to see some shifts with democrats next. (Then again, with the DNC in an apparent headlock from the very top elites....that could be slow to occur.)
You might be right, but abortion is a women's rights issue, and that's lots of people vs the Religious Right folks and their beliefs, not altogether as strong a force within the GOP as once upon a time.

The gun violence problem is another matter altogether in which most Americans (certainly again including most women yet again), don't own or have much of anything to do with guns other than to consider those nasty headlines and statistics related to deaths, injuries and crimes.

IOWs, the two issues affect different groups of people in profoundly different ways for very different reasons, so I find the comparison somewhat difficult.

I suspect we'll be getting more of the same when it comes to gun control, largely political and little that works from a practical matter. "Crickets" or more moments of silence and proposed "common sense" tokens of effort mostly depending on how these incidents and/or statistics go into the future.

Hey, but let's not let yet another thread get high-jacked by the gun crowd/issue...

Old 12-12-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Of course.

They'll do everything they can to try to shift the blame if things turn out badly. But that tactic only works with their hyperpartisan base. As you can readily see in this forum, there are still RWNJs who to this day insist that either the failed 2003 invasion of Iraq was a good decision or that it was Bill Cinton who did it.

But their opinion is more than a couple of standard deviations out from the norm. So, essentially, they just don't count. They can be dismissed as readily as those who deny the moon landings. In some cases, they're the same people.

After the election of Trump, I am hard pressed to dismiss what any group believes no matter how many standard deviations they may be from the norm...

Old 12-12-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Drain the swamp you say?

Sounds good of course, but is this what you really thought would happen if Trump were elected POTUS?

Have you been considering how Trump is filling the swamp with his picks now? I wish I could post the great cartoon I saw about this yesterday...

I did vote against Trump, against the prospect that he would do exactly what he is already doing. Unfortunately, I did not see Hillary as any great better prospect either, but better than this, yes, already.

Worst still, is that Trump is NOT doing as he promised his followers, and just like they were too invested in their imaginary versions of what Trump represents to see otherwise, now too they can't even see what he is doing very differently than they hoped. Though, I have noticed a thread or two about that disappointment among Trump believers if that is any sort of consolation -- not, too late now!

Old 12-12-2016, 11:23 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,341,616 times
Quote:
I wasn't an enthusiastic Hillary supporter and I think she ran an obviously lousy campaign. But her loss goes much deeper than appearances.

This is an excellent article on how Hillary's "allies" actually did a lot of heavy lifting for Trump.

Uniquely Talented: Only the Democrats Could Have Lost to Trump | Fred On Everything

The author is a former Marine and Vietnam vet. I read his columns from time to time and enjoy his writing.

Maybe you will, too.
Great piece. thanks for posting this. It does take a uniquely talented and a special kind of mediocrity to lose to donald trump, the democrats have become a really pathetic party. Of course, they certainly are learning their lesson from this latest ass kicking, they are talking about naming a black muslim Keith Eliison to head the DNC. lol The democrats just move farther and farther left
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies