Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 07:52 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,885,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Of course it's "PC." That particular "America, the Frontier, and the New West" course was offered by USC's "Department of American Studies and Ethnicity."
https://classes.usc.edu/term-20163/classes/amst/

Here's a link to a course syllabus from a few years ago when it was taught by John Carlos Rowe...
http://web-app.usc.edu/soc/syllabus/20123/10408.pdf

According to the "College Fix," Alicia Chavez assigned following books to her students:
  • Robert O. Self, American Babylon: Race and the Struggle for Postwar Oakland
  • Phoebe S. Kropp, California Vieja: Culture and Memory in a Modern American Place
  • Sherman Alexie, The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven
  • Linda Gordon, The Great Arizona Orphan Abduction
  • Judy Yung, Unbound Feet: A Social History of Chinese Women in San Francisco
  • Luis Alberto Urrea, The Devil’s Highway: A True Story
And, the final exam essay question was reported to be...
Historically, the North American West has been imagined as a geography of leisure, opportunity, entertainment, and wealth, and also as a place where people of color could live outside of the structures of inequality. However, by 1992, Los Angeles became associated with severe racial and class conflict. How would you characterize the nature of lived experience in the West by the late 19th through the early 21st century? Is it a region that has maintained long-held hierarchies of inequality that continue to circumscribe people’s lives? Is it a region that has opened new opportunities for persons or communities that could not find them in other places?
In terms of the final exam, it appears that the students might have had more to worry about than not using the term "illegal immigrant."
Good sleuthing. So the good professor is not just la raza like I suspected at first glance but a full blown cultural Marxist, or are the two really the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 07:52 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,138,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
This exchange is classic. Shabazz assumes a male teacher, then gets called on it like a liberal would, by the poster implying Shabazz is sexist. Rather than admitting such (which is obvious by their assumption), Shabazz admits they didn't even read the article, just gave an uniformed opinion.

These type of examples are typical of the knee-jerk reaction of liberals who base their opinions on feeling and emotion, not the actual facts.
Dude, stay on topic and stop derailing the thread...

Next...

Old 12-13-2016, 07:57 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,189,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Isn't that just a PC term to sugarcoat the issue that they're in the country illegally? I mean all these PC terms seem rather demeaning rather than trying to bring dignity.
Unless you are in this class, what is it to you. Do you really care about not demeaning people? Or, do you prefer to use whatever language you are comfortable with? Personally, I don't care what terms you use. It's a free country, right. Just know that words have consequences. Your choice. Good luck...

Old 12-13-2016, 08:10 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,480,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Unless you are in this class, what is it to you. Do you really care about not demeaning people? Or, do you prefer to use whatever language you are comfortable with? Personally, I don't care what terms you use. It's a free country, right. Just know that words have consequences. Your choice. Good luck...
I'm sure there were also some in Nazi Germany that said "Who cares if Jews are being killed..I'm not a Jew".

See how that can be dangerous?

Old 12-13-2016, 08:16 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,537,709 times
The act is illegal, the person that commits it is a criminal. And they are not immigrants, who by definition obey the law.

The proper term is criminal alien or criminal invader.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I'm sure there were also some in Nazi Germany that said "Who cares if Jews are being killed..I'm not a Jew".

See how that can be dangerous?
You're right and I should care that he NOT use dehumanizing language when describing other human beings. Hitler dehumanized the Jews and some of you on here dehumanize the undocumented by calling them illegal aliens, murderers, rapists, criminals, etc... It makes it easier to do bad things to them. Good point jm1982, the posters don't care cause they aren't undocumented. I shiver to think what is going to happen next year. Thanks!

Old 12-13-2016, 09:07 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,480,036 times
Quote:
You're right and I should care that he NOT use dehumanizing language when describing other human beings. Hitler dehumanized the Jews and some of you on here dehumanize the undocumented by calling them illegal aliens, murderers, rapists, criminals, etc... It makes it easier to do bad things to them. Good point jm1982, the posters don't care cause they aren't undocumented. I shiver to think what is going to happen next year. Thanks!
So what should they be called?

If they are simply called Immigrants that isn't honest .

I could see legal immigrants being upset about that because it's lumping them in with those that broke the law.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
So what should they be called?

If they are simply called Immigrants that isn't honest .

I could see legal immigrants being upset about that because it's lumping them in with those that broke the law.
I think it is perfectly acceptable to say 'undocumented immigrant’ or ‘unauthorized entry' like the Professor in the OP requests.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:07 PM

16,618 posts, read 8,632,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Dude, stay on topic and stop derailing the thread...

Next...
Apparently this is your way of deflecting from your mistake because you leaped before looking. How about read the article in the OP first, then offer a more informed opinion?

As to this assertion, I am on topic, but also pointing out the folly of some posters as well as hypocrisy.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:15 PM

1,850 posts, read 821,706 times
Quote:
You're right and I should care that he NOT use dehumanizing language when describing other human beings.
It's pretty odd how anything you don't like is "dehumanizing," almost like you're trying to control the language. LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies