Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2016, 01:49 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I never said she was better but if you have ever read the bible it states those things are a sin.
I was unaware that Christian churches were shunning members that are a few pounds overweight. Gluttony? Really? Do you have a scale by the front door to decide who is Christian enough to enter on Sundays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 01:57 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
LOL...now it's a secular nation? Jeepers.
So if we're not secular, what are we? What religion is law here? Are we a country with Sharia law or some other religious based equivalent?

People are much more useful on discussion forums when they actually contribute.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:01 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It seems that during election years evangelical really means "church going protestant".
Evangelical doesn't include all Protestants. Protestant also includes denominations like Methodist, Lutheran, and Episcopalean, all of which are more politically diverse.

Evangelical usually consists of the following denominations: Baptist, Pentecostal, Assemblies of God, Church of Christ, LDS, and conservative Non-Denominational megachurches (which are mostly just rebranded Baptist churches).

Old 12-15-2016, 02:13 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Evangelical doesn't include all Protestants. Protestant also includes denominations like Methodist, Lutheran, and Episcopalean, all of which are more politically diverse.

Evangelical usually consists of the following denominations: Baptist, Pentecostal, Assemblies of God, Church of Christ, LDS, and conservative Non-Denominational megachurches (which are mostly just rebranded Baptist churches).
Yes, I think that is fairly accurate, although I don't think LDS are evangelical, even according to themselves.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:15 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Let's be honest he goes against everything that the bible says is bad. Greed, Gluttony, etc.

I ask because one of my best friends is a Christian & they voted for them as did many others.

Anyone care to share some light on this?
I dont think you understand what being a Christian is. Or much about religion and the bible for that matter.
People that follow Christianity are as diverse in their following of doctrine and interpretation of scripture as any other religious or non religious person is their general beliefs. Being a Christian does not mean one is perfect, believe every word literally or are without sin themselves, to the contrary.

The Christians I know I'm sure voted for Trump for a variety of reasons but underlying is the belief/hope he will accomplish some changes that will improve our economy and the fact that they have been disappointed in the direction the democrats have led this country and they were terrified of where we would go had Hillary won.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:16 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, I think that is fairly accurate, although I don't think LDS are evangelical, even according to themselves.
True, but their voting patterns tend to be similar to evangelicals. Other Protestant denominations and Catholics are a lot more divided between liberal and conservative.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:22 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post

Ironically, when England formed it's own protestant church, splinter groups like Baptists were considered heretics.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:23 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Let's be honest he goes against everything that the bible says is bad. Greed, Gluttony, etc.

I ask because one of my best friends is a Christian & they voted for them as did many others.

The books of Samuel and the story of an adulterous and murderous King David were kept in the Christian canon for a reason. A Christian can vote for someone who says he will protect unborn children and against someone who will fight to her grave to make it easier to kill children literally a minute before they are born is easy

Old 12-15-2016, 02:27 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:

to be honest, he may go against everything you believe in, however, he doesn't apparently go against what Christians believe in.

I would attempt to say the majority of Christians who believe in the bible, are conservative, or conservatives who sit on the fence....people were sick and tired of being told how to think, feel and speak. They were really sick and tired of trying to talk with liberals about politics and if the liberals disagree, right away the name calling began. It only works for a while.

People want law and order in their own country....and our country is becoming one of lawlessness....Christians believe that laws, hence the 10 commandments were put in place to keep man in check. or harmony...and that is so true....when you start breaking laws for convenience, there is a ripple effect that affects the lives of so many in so many other ways....

For instance, leaving illegals in...a few in the beginning, when does it end and who provided for these people...? american's are sick and dog dead tired of working to take care of everyone else.

American's are also sick and tired of having these people come here and snub our laws, drive without licenses, insurance, registration even? PA is now passing a law, that no longer will we need those stickers on our license plates starting 2017, Yes, it will save money, but will surely encourage more lawlessness. A police officer won't know if the car is registered now, unless he stops someone.

Impound the cars, is what they used to do....and they still should do, but it's too easy a fix.

allow police officers to ask for ID, and if they are not legal, send them home, impound the car.

So many of those who are in power, use quick fixes...and whenever they don't like something that is happening, they create another law, but ignore others, important laws.

People were sick and tired of being called a racist b/c they disagreed with Obama's policies.

People were sick to death of law enforcement being blamed for shooting criminals.....

and so much more

Old 12-15-2016, 02:33 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
I don't think it's a religious issue. People who believe they are conservative still decisively outnumber people that consider themselves liberal. This Gallup poll was taken in 2013, before the advent of Trump.

Gallup: Conservatives Outnumber Liberals in 47 Out of 50 States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies