Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 09:41 AM

13,653 posts, read 20,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
But... stick with me here...

What if a person finds that they need to live elsewhere, outside the US, one day?

It isn't bad to know more than one language. That's pretty much all I have to say on the subject. I cannot see a single, solitary, negative thing about speaking multiple languages.

People from the US are just about the only people who travel abroad and get pissed off when nobody speaks English. How self-absorbed can many of us be?

I mean, I hope they speak English when I'm in a country where I don't speak the language or do not speak it well, but EXPECT it? Nope.

I cannot stick with you because you are throwing multiple, unrelated issues around. The article spoke of people losing their knowledge of Spanish as their generations progressed in America.

You are talking about language education, something wholly different and not the subject of the article and the OP.

You need to start another thread!

And btw- I myself speak another language and have lived abroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 09:45 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,357,106 times
I'm so glad I now live in a place where I never EVER hear Spanish spoken.

I grew up in Berks County, Pennsylvania. Where we used to have a unique Pennsylvania Dutch culture and hear Pennsylvania Dutch (a German dialect) spoken everywhere. You now hear nothing but Spanish (ESPECIALLY READING).

A couple of places I interviewed for jobs, when I lived in adjoining Lehigh County, I was asked if I was "bilingual". I answered, yes. I can speak and understand Pennsylvania Dutch (German) pretty well, because I grew up with it. Didn't count. Today, "bilingual" automatically and ONLY means can you speak Spanish.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:49 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
I know. Why is being fluent in more than one language EVER a negative???

Its not. The problem is monolingual Spanish speakers in a non Spanish speaking country.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:49 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I'm so glad I now live in a place where I never EVER hear Spanish spoken.

I grew up in Berks County, Pennsylvania. Where we used to have a unique Pennsylvania Dutch culture and hear Pennsylvania Dutch (a German dialect) spoken everywhere. You now hear nothing but Spanish (ESPECIALLY READING).

A couple of places I interviewed for jobs, when I lived in adjoining Lehigh County, I was asked if I was "bilingual". I answered, yes. I can speak and understand Pennsylvania Dutch (German) pretty well, because I grew up with it. Didn't count. Today, "bilingual" automatically and ONLY means can you speak Spanish.
I was told by a county government supervisor at an internship that had I not been in grad school, she would have hired me on the spot... IF I also spoke Spanish.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:50 AM

35,714 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington;46576733[B
]I'm so glad I now live in a place where I never EVER hear Spanish spoken.[/b]

You moved to Alaska? because from what I remember the area around Lancaster had many meat plants and there was a lot of Hispanic speakers living in there. Got to remember who hired them-- and will continue to do so-- I expect a good chunk of PA is Hispanic

Last edited by tinytrump; 12-21-2016 at 09:59 AM..

Old 12-21-2016, 09:57 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I cannot stick with you because you are throwing multiple, unrelated issues around. The article spoke of people losing their knowledge of Spanish as their generations progressed in America.

You are talking about language education, something wholly different and not the subject of the article and the OP.

You need to start another thread!

And btw- I myself speak another language and have lived abroad.

Did they print out your native language specifically just for you when you lived abroad?

Its not that I care really. I don't mind learning other languages and English does get the benefit of being an international language. I recently crapped out English in Central America, albeit with a little Spanish when they could not speak English. It kind of tough to keep up with Spanish when I have been busy with Russian and German.

However this is what people are talking about. I do expect the tourist industry and airports should be rather flexible for their own good. However this is the purview of the industry. Not sure why English speakers for example need to compete for jobs while being taxed to support Spanish speakers and then call it "el cheapo labor". Its cheap subsidized labor. That's the issue.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Its not. The problem is monolingual Spanish speakers in a non Spanish speaking country.

+ 1

Notice that Redzin defends Hispanics for the same thing he chides Americans for doing?

Old 12-21-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Did they print out your native language specifically just for you when you lived abroad?

Its not that I care really. I don't mind learning other languages and English does get the benefit of being an international language. I recently crapped out English in Central America, albeit with a little Spanish when they could not speak English. It kind of tough to keep up with Spanish when I have been busy with Russian and German.

However this is what people are talking about. I do expect the tourist industry and airports should be rather flexible for their own good. However this is the purview of the industry. Not sure why English speakers for example need to compete for jobs while being taxed to support Spanish speakers and then call it "el cheapo labor". Its cheap subsidized labor. That's the issue.

No, I studied in Germany and worked my tail off to learn the language. And I refused to speak English with the Germans no matter how hard they tried.

But again, this is not the subject of the OP and the attached link.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:41 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,475,707 times
Quote:
The irony in this post is delicious.
Lol

Old 12-21-2016, 10:53 AM

63,001 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
You have an unhealthy obsession with Hispanics. The "we spake Aynglish!" crowd earns me money by being bilingual.

That's because of continued illegal immigration from south of our border and too much legal immigration from the same group who expects to be catered to in Spanish even though they know English. You brag about being bi-lingual because it earns "you" money even though it's because of the above and mono-lingual English speakers get discriminated against in hiring practices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies