Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 07:26 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times

Advertisements

We owe it to our history to save Spanish from going the way of German, Italian and Polish.

Is America losing Español?: Column

I've been thinking about how the "Hispanic wave" in the US has peaked and, it's showing signs of dropping back and fast.

I'm guessing the multicultural kind are really scared about it. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 07:36 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
We owe it to our history to save Spanish from going the way of German, Italian and Polish.

Is America losing Español?: Column

I've been thinking about how the "Hispanic wave" in the US has peaked and, it's showing signs of dropping back and fast.

I'm guessing the multicultural kind are really scared about it. Oh well.

What's the reason for preserving Spanish above other foreign languages? We are an English speaking nation. Reading the article was laughable. The author used the typical pro-illegal demonizing words against law abiding citizens and Trump such as xenophobia and claims of him slurring all Mexicans. He also made jokes about the wall. It is obvious that this author has an agenda.

Last edited by Oldglory; 12-21-2016 at 07:47 AM..

Old 12-21-2016, 07:54 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Stupid article.

No descendants of any immigrant group are still speaking the (non-English) language of their ancestors unless they take it upon themselves. That is a human dynamic that is hardly unique to the USA.

American of all political stripes take leave of their senses when it comes to foreign languages.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:03 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
No descendants of any immigrant group are still speaking the (non-English) language of their ancestors unless they take it upon themselves. That is a human dynamic that is hardly unique to the USA.

American of all political stripes take leave of their senses when it comes to foreign languages.
Just taking my mother's side, both of my grandparents came over from Denmark. I don't remember my grandfather ever speaking a word of English, while my grandmother had about a third-grade education (but did speak some English). My mother earned a Master's degree in US History and later an MBA, and I have multiple degrees. I can just imagine how we all would have wound up had we tried to preserve our heritage and language instead of becoming Americans.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:05 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
You have an unhealthy obsession with Hispanics. The "we spake Aynglish!" crowd earns me money by being bilingual.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:07 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
You have an unhealthy obsession with Hispanics. The "we spake Aynglish!" crowd earns me money by being bilingual.
I know. Why is being fluent in more than one language EVER a negative???

Old 12-21-2016, 08:09 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Just taking my mother's side, both of my grandparents came over from Denmark. I don't remember my grandfather ever speaking a word of English, while my grandmother had about a third-grade education (but did speak some English). My mother earned a Master's degree in US History and later an MBA, and I have multiple degrees. I can just imagine how we all would have wound up had we tried to preserve our heritage and language instead of becoming Americans.
I think it's great when people don't give up their native language and still teach it to their kids. Babies are very good at picking up languages. Do it early and we'd have bilingual people all over the place.

Other countries embrace knowing more than one language. Why is this seen as a bad thing in the US?

We don't even have an official language here. I think that is a good thing, btw.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:11 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Starts out ..
"And yes, my question about saving Spanish may seem especially daft now, as America’s deranged politics pit hysterical Trumpian xenophobia, with its fear of being overrun by foreigners and their languages, against liberal triumphalism about growing diversity."

Ok Barf !
Enforcing our immigration laws is NOT xenophobic !
Trump has stated that immigration is good , LEGAL immigration . This author is either lying or is ignorant.

It's articles like this that are part of the problem . Too many people don't do their research and they just listen to soundbytes.

I live in Los Angeles in my neighborhood you hear Spanish spoken much more than English .

You go to Miami you can't even speak English . They know English but they act like they don't.
Of course in the very touristy areas it will be different .
Spanish disappearing is nonsense .

Popularity of languages change . In New York at one point Italian was spoken a lot more than it is now . Should there have been a conscious effort to "Save" the Italian language ?

Old 12-21-2016, 08:16 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Just taking my mother's side, both of my grandparents came over from Denmark. I don't remember my grandfather ever speaking a word of English, while my grandmother had about a third-grade education (but did speak some English). My mother earned a Master's degree in US History and later an MBA, and I have multiple degrees. I can just imagine how we all would have wound
up had we tried to preserve our heritage and language instead of becoming Americans.

Americans are not depicted by their language- and heritage? Sorry you lost yours- it's sad -
We are intelligent enough to be both- or even more than that- for instance- a marriage with an Italian and a Jewish person- or an African and a Hispanic or a Hindu all born here!!!

What is wrong with people today? this obtuse thinking-is sick-- I hope the next generation is smart and tolerant enough and wipes this one out-completely-

Old 12-21-2016, 08:21 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think it's great when people don't give up their native language and still teach it to their kids. Babies are very good at picking up languages. Do it early and we'd have bilingual people all over the place.

Other countries embrace knowing more than one language. Why is this seen as a bad thing in the US?

We don't even have an official language here. I think that is a good thing, btw.
No gripe with people speaking both to their children, but as the article correctly noted, that dynamic dies out by the third generation. Explains why the descendants of Chinese rail workers and Swedish farmers don't speak a lick of either.

Other countries embrace knowing more than one language either because the people already speak more than one (Canada, Switzerland, Spain) or because they are small countries near large ones and thus need to so as to survive (Netherlands, Denmark, Hungary).

We do not have an official language because English is the de facto language of the US and most people have little interest in balkanizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies