Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 05:26 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Liberals, continue buying everything from China and hiring illegals to do all your hard work. We know you idolize 3rd worlders and loathe red blooded working class Americas.
Dude, you're typing your responses on a tablet, computer or phone that was produced using labor and materials from foreign countries - many of them third world countries at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Having lived in Nashville MTSA 17 years, we had several Main St style roads with other names. With a mix of big box and local stores, both doing quite well.

Our unemployment was amazingly low, as we welcomed both blue and white collar jobs. Had a ton of auto related manufacturing jobs, and , concurrently, Nashville now has moie UBS jobs than Stamford, Ct.

I don't know what your political persuasion is but your post reminded me of some things happening in my city.

So, we had two Democratic mayors over the past 15 years - back to back.

The first one revitalized our downtown. I mean, the guy did a fabulous job of courting new businesses, securing government grants and loans to refurbish the area, etc. We've seen a huge influx of people moving back into downtown, new businesses, etc.

The second, current, mayor is a DB of the highest order. Corruption and cronyism rises from city hall like the putrid scent wafting from cow dung. He is completely unavailable to his people, he gives jobs to his friends and donors, etc.

Within the past few months, our police department has had numerous issues with the newly appointed police chief. As I tell you what happened, please keep in mind the accepted myth that liberals hate all police officers and conservatives love them, okay?

So, new police chief is appointed by DB mayor. She was a donor to his campaign. The woman was never a beat cop, never part of a major investigation in any crimes in her nearly twenty years of service. She was a desk jockey. Many of the nearly 100 officers were shocked and dismayed by this appointment but what can they do? This happened last year. Since then, there have been numerous issues within the police department and by all accounts morale is at an all time low, officers are being picked on and targeted by the new police chief etc. The president of the PBA (Police Benevolent Association) approached city hall/Mayor DB several times behind closed doors to discuss these issues. Not only were they ignored, they weren't even given the time of day to present these issues face to face with the mayor. After MONTHS of trying to do things the "right" way, the president finally approached council publicly with a 102 page survey completed by 68 officers detailing numerous issues within the department.

Guess what the court of public opinion was on this matter? You guess it. Those who so ardently post about #bluelivesmatter and "support our men in blue" TRASHED this officer and others who spoke up for themselves. Many of these same people voted for Donald Trump. It has largely been liberals who've stepped up and supported an investigation into what is going on in the department.

My point with all of this is stop assuming you know what a liberal thinks or wants. Stop assuming that all liberals hate police, hard work, etc. Stop assuming that the stupid letter by someone's name means something because it doesn't. Stop with the black and white view of your world.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:43 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Why do liberals look down on oil, coal, construction, trucker and manufacturing workers but worship Facebook and Twitter
Same reason as you.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:48 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
I consider myself very liberal and I am not on Facebook or Twitter. I also respect any profession whether it be blue collar, white collar, entrepreneur that provides a living wage. What I DO look down on are communities or dependent people who blame the"elites", the government, and virtually everyone but themselves for not having a job that pays a living wage. People need to take responsibility for their own actions. Sometimes that means moving to where the jobs are, getting more skills or education ( even if they have to go in debt to obtain it) and putting down the bottle or the straw, pipe or needle. Those who choose to blame the government and elites for their lifestyle while defending their moral high ground of religion, close knit families, and independent spirit need to take a hard look in the mirror.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I consider myself very liberal and I am not on Facebook or Twitter. I also respect any profession whether it be blue collar, white collar, entrepreneur that provides a living wage. What I DO look down on are communities or dependent people who blame the"elites", the government, and virtually everyone but themselves for not having a job that pays a living wage. People need to take responsibility for their own actions. Sometimes that means moving to where the jobs are, getting more skills or education ( even if they have to go in debt to obtain it) and putting down the bottle or the straw, pipe or needle. Those who choose to blame the government and elites for their lifestyle while defending their moral high ground of religion, close knit families, and independent spirit need to take a hard look in the mirror.
IMO...

If we want to start saving the environment for ourselves and future generations, we need to pay to train workers in the fields for new jobs in new industries. We need to invest in cleaner energy and train workers to produce it.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:57 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
So you want to live in a country where the water is poisoned by unregulated factories? Where you can't breathe the air without risking cancer?

Really?

Yes, they do ! And they really don't give a damn what kind of world their kids are left with. I've told this story before, and it is a perfect example of how people put jobs above their own and their childrens health.

Many years ago I worked in a steel mill in Clairton Pennsylvania. It was a filthy, toxin spewing place, and when they dumped water on a carload of hot steel to cool it, steam with all these poisonous particles would travel up into the air and come back down on the town of Clairton. Grass would not grow, everything was black, and you could not drive a nice car to work because these toxins would eat the paint off of the body.

The EPA came in and tried to clean it up, and mothers were holding marches and protests saying the government was taking their paychecks away. Here are mothers, who should be protecting their children, not giving a damn about their health because of a paycheck !

If it were up to us humans, we would poison the world and kill off everyone on it. Someone has to step in and care, because we are not capable of doing it on our own. Just like so many people are denying climate change, when it is right in front of their faces.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:50 AM

1,008 posts, read 487,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Donnie makes his stuff in China.
So would I if I was a manufacturer. Whatever reduces my suffering under US government bureaucracy, taxation, and cost raising red tape.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:13 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Dude, you're typing your responses on a tablet, computer or phone that was produced using labor and materials from foreign countries - many of them third world countries at that.
You're right. Instead of making tables, computers and phones, America specializes in lawyers, making french fries and Walmart. These are not the ingredients to a greater America.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
You're right. Instead of making tables, computers and phones, America specializes in lawyers, making french fries and Walmart. These are not the ingredients to a greater America.
IMO, that is because we have been way too slow to embrace the technological shift our society has taken. Also, those third world jobs pay very, very little. Do you think Americans are going to work for a couple bucks a day? I doubt it.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:27 AM

1,378 posts, read 737,501 times
Oh yeah, because blue collar workers never look down on liberals, yeah right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies