Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 01:27 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Again, what are you crying about? You've been calling 90-95% of Black voters plantation-loving slaves for years! I'll care about your hurt feelings when I hear some backpedaling on that...

And I bet that this is the last I hear about you needing some safe space.
I will give you a personal take on this. There have been a few people who have approached me with that "plantation" thing. I tried to explain to one person why I wouldn't vote for Trump, after he got me into a political conversation. I cited things that Donald Trump had said. He basically said "don't take it personal. He's from New York and that's how they talk up there". The more I talked to this guy, the more I understood he wasn't concerned about what happened to me or my future. He just wanted me to vote for Trump. He was more concerned about who I voted for rather than how I would benefit from it.

That is how I see alot of people who claim Blacks are "on the Democratic Plantation" aren't interested in helping Black people. They just know that there are very few Black votes in favor of Republicans. What they want are votes in favor of Republicans.

Okay, Democrats cannot expect to get alot of votes with the "deplorables" comment. On that same token, Republicans cannot expect Blacks to vote for them if we keep getting compared to "plantation slaves".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 01:27 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanMadden View Post
Do you even understand what that statement means??? Of all the things to take issue with, that's your deal? Really?
Conservatives have spent DECADES calling 90-95% Black voters idiots and slaves. You really expect me to believe that you're honestly upset about one comment that you'd have to self-identify with for it to apply to you? Suck it up. You don't like being called a deplorable, if you fit the qualifiers? Then don't vote for her/Democrats/whoever. Black people have been doing it. Take a page from us.

Stop acting like this is uncharted territory, for politicians and their ilk to label voters of the opposition w/ certain names, when REPUBLICANS HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR OVER 20 YEARS!

I'll believe that you're seriously offended by this and not just throwing a schoolgirl hissy fit when you come out and say that Republicans have been throwing Black voters the grimiest invectives and yall should apologize and rethink how you talk about Black voters...

But we know you won't b/c you're not honest enough to do that kind of introspection.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
-The POW comment was directed at John McCain, and I support it. Judging by the way McCain conducts himself as a Republican I can only surmise that he spent so much time as a POW because it took a while to give the enemy all they needed to know.

-He wasn't trying to get the black president to get black folks to behave. He was trying to get the president to LEAD. Unfortunately I don't have an example, because if whites DO riot in this country it usually lasts no longer than an hour after a sporting event.

-His national spokesperson is an African American. You might hear condescension, but what it really is could be construed as someone trying not to offend the currently easily offended. Especially by Republicans. Not to be snarky, but you're kind of making that point with this post.

-To understand why Trump would say "Look at my African American over here", you would have to have been born and raised in NYC or LI. It's vernacular, and that's it.

Trump is probably the last of the TRUE meritists. He doesn't care who you are. He only cares that you're good at it. Definitely not a racist. He's a capitalist.
Defying orders, I'm not thrilled about it. However, when the time called, John McCain served. That is more than I can say about Donald Trump, who got several deferments to keep himself out of Vietnam. His POW comment was uncalled for, period. I don't support that comment. Saying "I like soldiers who weren't captured" is a slap in the face to POWs.

I don't think Trump's comment was about President Obama leading. I think he was saying "he is the reason Blacks act so bad", at least in the case of the Baltimore riot. And I really don't care how long "white riots" last. Have you been to a sporting event riot? Do you know for a fact how long they last? If you do not, then do not speak on that. A riot is a riot. End result is alot of destruction. Why Blacks were being singled out, well, I do not care why. I look out for #1 at the end of the day.

I don't care who his national spokesperson is. There are Black people who will speaking condescendingly about Black Americans. You don't talk condescending to others that you want votes from, period. This is why I didn't choose Clinton either. You don't go pointing "there's my African-American". It reeks of condescension, and you know it. I don't care where Donald Trump is from. You have a whole nation to speak to. Like I said before. Want votes? Watch what you say.

And the Neo-Nazi retweet, I notice you don't discuss that.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:41 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
DeclanMadden,

I think you need to drop the persecution complex.

It's amazing what 8 years of a black presidency can do to some people.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:45 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Not according to liberals when they're slicing up the identity pie for division.

Seems the some of the right doesn't like that part- it goes against all that vision of how they want the country to be-the facts: the country is a piece of land- and people come and go- as they are born and die- you can't really control what evolves as people accept different cultures- and children are raised side by side with different peoples-it will never be the same, that ship has sailed!
When the white greedy owners killed off the indigenous people- and brought the Chinese -Africans to work - that seed was planted- Columbus did a lot of harm- and the Europeans will have to face karma though their children's children. Lots of baby boomers out there- what will be left when my lot dies off?

Old 01-03-2017, 02:04 PM

Words do matter. Whatever you say might determine who votes for you. The "deplorables" comments hasn't been helpful for Democrats. Neither has the right's comment about Blacks being "on the plantation" and "being brainwashed".

Old 01-03-2017, 02:08 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I will give you a personal take on this. There have been a few people who have approached me with that "plantation" thing. I tried to explain to one person why I wouldn't vote for Trump, after he got me into a political conversation. I cited things that Donald Trump had said. He basically said "don't take it personal. He's from New York and that's how they talk up there". The more I talked to this guy, the more I understood he wasn't concerned about what happened to me or my future. He just wanted me to vote for Trump. He was more concerned about who I voted for rather than how I would benefit from it.

That is how I see alot of people who claim Blacks are "on the Democratic Plantation" aren't interested in helping Black people. They just know that there are very few Black votes in favor of Republicans. What they want are votes in favor of Republicans.

Okay, Democrats cannot expect to get alot of votes with the "deplorables" comment. On that same token, Republicans cannot expect Blacks to vote for them if we keep getting compared to "plantation slaves".
That's par for the course. Tell Blacks & Browns they need to stop crying about X, turn around and cry about X. The more we see the Right expose themselves, the more I think they're one of their objections to Democrats and their policies is that it benefits too many minorities.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
That's par for the course. Tell Blacks & Browns they need to stop crying about X, turn around and cry about X. The more we see the Right expose themselves, the more I think they're one of their objections to Democrats and their policies is that it benefits too many minorities.
Hypocrisy goes both ways. It can be found on both sides. That what you are exposing is hypocrisy. It would be better for said persons on all sides to just come out and say what their intentions are.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:12 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
... need to drop the persecution complex.
Less deserving people cut in front of me in line and this is not fair.

That's what I keep reading from the this-is-why-Democrats-lost-and-will-keep-losing folks.

When you grow up believing that you will have a good job at the factory (mine, etc) just like your dad, uncles, etc. yet you find yourself destined to spend your life stocking at Walmart, who do you blame?

Certainly not yourself for not getting a decent education and/or learning a valuable trade with employment opportunities.

So you blame Democrats who made trade deals that gave foreigners a leg up, who made it illegal to discriminate against blacks, women, etc.

And you rally around the guy who says he's going to turn back the clock.

Because of cognitive dissonance (difficult to hold two opposing thoughts at once) you ignore how he and his billionaire buddies (who will now be running the country and are unlikely to make decisions with your best interests in mind) are the ones that imported the Chinese steel and neckties, who hired illegal immigrants in their slaughter houses, chicken factories, restaurants..., who nurture the divisiveness among workers because they damn sure don't want the worker serfs to join together and insist the robber barons treat them fairly.

This struggle has been going on since Robin Hood and the Magna Carta.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:13 PM

5,994 posts, read 3,734,817 times
Quote:
Believe me, when the GOP takes the majority in 2018 Democrats won't win another presidency for decades.
The GOP won't be taking anything but the backseat in 2018. After we all get a good look at how the GOP is going to try and f*** the average citizen in this country, you won't be able to get another Republican anywhere near the White House any time in the foreseeable future. I suggest you enjoy the two years you have. It'll be gone before you know it.

I know I know, you're going to tell me I have no clue, liberal bias, fake news, etc. etc. The reigning mems of the GOP these days. But, just wait and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies