Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2017, 06:49 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the hate crime thing, I don't see how this would be considered a hate crime. I guess they can find a way to make it one to appease you all who think that it should be....

But like middle age mom shared, I read some local news about this from Chicago and it is a confusing story. Regardless the victim should not have been treated in such a manner and the perps were ridiculously idiotic and horrible people for putting it on FB and for doing it in the first place.

I think that the victim was targeted due to his mental disability and not because of skin color. Like I mentioned earlier about blacks committing violence against other blacks, I have seen personally and heard about black people targeting disabled black teens/kids and doing similar things.

I also remember a story from I believe Idaho where a black mentally disabled teen was repeatedly abused and even raped with a broom/mop handle by a white kids. They also used racial slurs. I think in both cases if it was charged as a "hate" crime that it should be about the "hate" of those who are disabled and people knowingly victimizing them because of their disability. I doubt this would have happened to a white man who was not mentally disabled.
I do believe selecting a victim because they are mentally disabled is also considered a hate crime. If not, it sure as hell should be.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:50 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
I agree with the OP, the MSM won't touch it. If it had been the other way around, they would report it like nuclear war had started.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-05-2017 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: trolling

Old 01-05-2017, 06:54 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I agree with the OP, the MSM won't touch it. If it had been the other way around, they would report it like nuclear war had started.

on the bold. It was on CBS this morning and various other "MSM" outlets yesterday and today.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-05-2017 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 01-05-2017, 06:56 AM

73,035 posts, read 62,646,469 times
If those perps get off with a slap on the wrist, it won't surprise me. This has happened before. In Idaho, some football players raped a mentally disabled man. One got off. Ex-football player avoids jail time for assaulting disabled teen - NY Daily News

Old 01-05-2017, 07:00 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If those perps get off with a slap on the wrist, it won't surprise me. This has happened before. In Idaho, some football players raped a mentally disabled man. One got off. Ex-football player avoids jail time for assaulting disabled teen - NY Daily News

On this, it will be interesting to see how the case plays out in Chicago. I think they will get a tougher sentence, primarily because of the disparities in sentencing with black versus white victims of crimes. White victims of crimes, usually their assailants get a tougher punishment than black victims of crimes.

But this is the story I mentioned earlier. I also don't ever remember seeing it featured on "MSM" very prominently like it seems so many weirdo posters think isn't happening with this story about the white victim.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:11 AM

73,035 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On this, it will be interesting to see how the case plays out in Chicago. I think they will get a tougher sentence, primarily because of the disparities in sentencing with black versus white victims of crimes. White victims of crimes, usually their assailants get a tougher punishment than black victims of crimes.

But this is the story I mentioned earlier. I also don't ever remember seeing it featured on "MSM" very prominently like it seems so many weirdo posters think isn't happening with this story about the white victim.
In many cases, yes. The death penalty is a good example. However, I don't know how this will be handled with the new police chief. Last I checked, he isn't taking this too serious.

16,352 posts, read 8,101,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Not a "Trump supporter" and I think the "hate crime" thing is ridiculous as well. Is anyone really saying that we need to enhance the charges on things like murder,mayhem,kidnapping,torture or felony assault with something akin to "thought police"? Judges have the discretion to sentence very heavy in most cases and felonies generally run in the 10's of years.

Seriously now, the possible charges these young people face are SERIOUS enough to put them away for many,many years and as for Dillon Roof? He'll never see free daylight again "hate crime" or not.

"Hate Crime" legislation is/was just a feel good-knee jerk response to public outrage on some crimes...
Tend to agree. Let the punishment fit the crime no matter what the perp was allegedly thinking.

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I do believe selecting a victim because they are mentally disabled is also considered a hate crime. If not, it sure as hell should be.
Physical and mental disability are covered by the Ill. hate crime law. I haven't heard the video, so don't have any opinion on why the four did this to that particular guy.

Old 01-05-2017, 07:18 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=trum...=nws&tbs=qdr:d

Where is the national mainstream media on this story (aside from Fox)?!

As of now, it's in absentia.

Now imagine if the race of the victim and the race of the perpetrators were reversed.

The MSM will probably have to cover this story at some point, however. I don't think they'll be able to avoid it.
it took a while but they're on it now. or at least some are.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...385d9#comments

Four Teens Held in Connection With Kidnapping After 'Facebook Live' Torture Video Airs - NBC News

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/04/us...ideo.html?_r=0

4 People In Custody In Chicago Over Beating Live-Streamed On Facebook : The Two-Way : NPR

Old 01-05-2017, 07:20 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Based on FBI's definition

the FBI has defined a hate crime as a “criminal offense against a person or property motivated in whole or in part by an offender’s bias against a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, ethnicity, gender, or gender identity.” Hate itself is not a crime—and the FBI is mindful of protecting freedom of speech and other civil liberties.

https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/civi...ts/hate-crimes

Is torture, kidnap a violent crime? Yes It is.

Did they kidnap or torture this poor man simply because he is white or disabled? If so, then it fits the definition of a hate crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies