Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 04:34 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Obama denied that the science was settled on vaccines that at worst encouraged people already skeptical of vaccines.

However, Trump could do something 100 times worse if he puts an anti-vaccine person high up in position that could make policy changes.
Transcript:

Quote:
"We’ve seen just a skyrocketing autism rate. Nobody knows exactly why. There are some people who are suspicious that it’s connected to vaccines and triggers, but -- this person included. The science right now is inconclusive, but we have to research it. Part of the reason I think it's very important to research it is those vaccines are also preventing huge numbers of deaths among children and preventing debilitating illnesses like polio. And so we can't afford to junk our vaccine system. We've got to figure out why is it that this is happening so that we are starting to see a more normal, what was a normal, rate of autism. Because if we keep on seeing increases at the rate we're seeing we're never going to have enough money to provide all the special needs, special education funding that's going to be necessary."
Video:

What Barack Obama said about autism and vaccines in 2008 | PolitiFact

Also, those comments were made two years before the milestone research by Andrew Wakefield was disputed and retracted by Lancet, a British medical journal. Wakefield's research and paper was so profoundly flawed that he lost his medical license for his nonsense.

So yes, please try to compare what Obama said - based on what was then reputable scientific research - with Trump - who continues to ignore that the autism/vaccination link has been thoroughly debunked.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:19 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What most don't know is the person who came up with the "vaccines cause autism" allegation admitted later that it was a hoax that he manufactured. What happened is then Jenny McCarthy, the playmate, then tells everyone her kid got autism from vaccines. Then it starts to spread. Then the conspiracy/anti-establishment crowd run with it and now it's gotten to the point that people are afraid of vaccines. Unfortunately, that has been lost on the public and his hoax has spun out of control. There has been no evidence to support that vaccines are harmful.

However, what is scary is that a lot of idiots in this country avoid vaccines and actually put others at harm. There was a measles outbreak in Disney California. That's not surprising. Southern California has a large number of liberal/granola/hippy/naturopathic nut cases who don't vaccinate their kids. Not surprised it happened in their backyard. The so called herd immunity only exists if everyone else gets vaccinated. But as more people don't get vaccinated, that herd immunity goes and it increases the number of disease that should be erradicated.

This is all of because of idiots who want to believe that there is some conspiracy that vaccines are so harmful. I guarantee Trump made sure all of his kids and grandkids got vaccinated
As a 70 year old man, you could count on one hand the number of vaccinations Trump himself has ever received. He has publicly stated he has never gotten a flu shot in his life, along with about 60% of the general public.

His children in their 30's? Again, nothing in comparison to what is given today. Has Ivanka ever gotten a Hep. B vaccination? Has his grandkids gotten their HPV shots? Look up the charts over the decades of how many vaccines are required. Spread out over several office visits? Oh no, spread out over years, and a LIFETIME. You will never outgrow your "need" for vaccinations. Cradle to Grave Vaccinations as Big Pharms have said.

You can bet that more and more will be added to this schedule in the future. The number is way too much.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:42 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,505,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
As a 70 year old man, you could count on one hand the number of vaccinations Trump himself has ever received. He has publicly stated he has never gotten a flu shot in his life, along with about 60% of the general public.

His children in their 30's? Again, nothing in comparison to what is given today. Has Ivanka ever gotten a Hep. B vaccination? Has his grandkids gotten their HPV shots? Look up the charts over the decades of how many vaccines are required. Spread out over several office visits? Oh no, spread out over years, and a LIFETIME. You will never outgrow your "need" for vaccinations. Cradle to Grave Vaccinations as Big Pharms have said.

You can bet that more and more will be added to this schedule in the future. The number is way too much.
Flu shots are recommended. Hep B and HPV are very different from Polio, DTaP, Hib, MMR (required). Hep A we did for us and our kid because we traveled a lot. My guess is Trump has received many more vaccines than you think. As have his kids and grandkids. Trump travels, as I used to. Probably has had a Yellow Fever (that was an owie, hated it!). I had to take anti-malarial for the Amazon (it was early 90s, I imagine they have improved). I think I had a typhoid vaccine for South America but can't quite remember. But as for the regulars, Polio (given Trump's age he probably had OPV rather than IPV, etc...he's probably had them, his kids and grandkids too.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:06 AM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
That very article, when you ignore the very biased reporters viewpoint, doesn't say that Trump is against vaccines. Trump clearly states against giving children all the vaccines in one single massive dose. He thinks it's better to spread them out.

BTW, this is the way is used to be done. Childhood vaccines were spread out over several visits.
There is no evidence that there is any advantage in spreading out vaccines. It just means more office visits, more needle sticks, and more chances for missed doses, while leaving children vulnerable for a longer time to the diseases vaccines prevent. Even "Dr. Bob" Sears admits his "alternative" vaccine schedule is no better than the standard schedule.

Combinations of vaccines are studied, despite what the antivax folks want you to believe.

The people who developed the vaccine schedule know what they are doing.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:26 AM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
The number is way too much.
This is ludicrous. Why is protecting against more diseases a bad thing?

Old 01-12-2017, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
When has Trump ever said not to trust your doctor? Never.

i.e. You create a strawman argument, not based in reality or any fact, and then tell us that we must be scared of the strawman.

(I can tell you however who told us that if we like our doctor, we can keep our doctor. I'm certain that didn't bother you at all.)
Did you read the Tweets? I didn't make those up, he posted them. Like I said, he pandered to the anti-vax crowd (adding to the paranoia) without actually coming out against vaccines. One instance, "I'm not against vaccinations for your children, I'm against them in 1 massive dose.Spread them out over a period of time & autism will drop!" Idiotic. There is no "1 massive dose" of vaccines. Add to that he seems to have the answer to autism, "autism will drop!" For God's sake. The man is a moron.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:38 AM

2,956 posts, read 2,345,665 times
Because his "feels" data tells him that they are bad. Doesn't matter that deadly diseases have all been eradicated because of vaccinations. It is called cognitive dissonance and plenty of people suffer from it.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
This is ludicrous. Why is protecting against more diseases a bad thing?
I doubt any of us are posting here while immobilized in an iron lung. Right?

Old 01-12-2017, 03:11 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I doubt any of us are posting here while immobilized in an iron lung. Right?
I actually 'help' make our flu vaccine. So I am hoping that nothing changes. This possible appointment of the anti-vaxxer is not written in stone. Many of Trumps appointees are smart people and they are holding up relatively good in the confirmation hearings. Somebody that is too far out of the norm might have problems and it looks like Trump tried to avoid most problems.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:19 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,506,487 times
Quote:

You're right. Older people have had less vaccinations overall.

I don't think people understand vaccines correctly. They're not required for your body to fight the given disease IF one has a healthy immune system already. A person with a healthy immune system can build immunity against the same diseases.

My wife (Chinese, no vaccines) became an American citizen a few months ago, and part of the process included either getting vaccinated, or taking an antibody test. She opted for the test and it turns out she already had antibodies for all major diseases.

The concern about vaccines is not only based on it's link with autism, but the ingredients (preservatives) used in the mixture which some view as dangerous (mercury) and/or unethical (human tissue). Furthermore, vaccines are not 100% effective as evidenced from the odd outbreak that spreads amongst vaccinated individuals.

In my opinion, it's only a big issue if you're from a poor country with very poor nutrition/hygiene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies