Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 03:45 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Well, since I had measles at 6 months old (not hospitalized), I supposed that is why I got all those other diseases before the age of 2, which I now have lifetime immunity to. No, the MAJORITY of our generation did not DIE or have lifetime disabilities from them.

There are millions of us boomers walking around you who were never vaccinated for these diseases. You never like to talk about this. Unvaccinated Natural Immunity.

If you were to tell my now 38 year old daughter about the horrors of chicken pox when she was 11, she would laugh at you today, as she would have at 11. She says it was "no big deal", and have said she will never vaccnate her future children for that. You see you cannot fool the people who have had these diseases. Yes, you can spread fear among those who do not know. This is precisely why you cannot put the fear into the public about "deadly" Influenza and increase flu shot rates. The majority of the general public has experienced it and knows better than the fear tactics.

As far as Trump who is my generation, I get the feeling that he more or less thinks the same having had all these diseases himself, and lived into old age to tell about them.
Just because the majority of your generation did not die or have lifetime disabilities from diseases doesn't mean they're not dangerous diseases, especially when compared to the vaccine. The vaccines are unquestionably safer than the diseases themselves. Why even take the risk at all? We KNOW that the diseases that REQUIRE vaccination in this country can be dangerous; again, especially when compared to the risk of the vaccines. We vaccinate against certain diseases for a reason. Mumps, for example, even if mild can lead to infertility in males. Not "dangerous" but a damn inconvenience for sufferers. A big price to pay for not getting vaccinated, a big risk to take. Some of these diseases can lead to other infections that result in death. To me, weighing the risks, it is obvious that vaccination is the better option.

Chickenpox is notoriously NOT that terrible for children, but much worse for adults. It can lead to shingles later in life - which completely sucks (I don't know from personal experience, but multiple family members do). Very painful. The chickenpox virus never leaves your body, but goes dormant, causing shingles in some patients later in life. You can even get it more than once. I'm fine with my vaccine for chickenpox.

As for Trump's generation - my great-uncle had polio as a child. Could never walk properly, and it got worse as he aged. When he died he was using a walker but should have been in a wheelchair (poor guy was way too stubborn for that). There was never a time after his illness when he didn't walk with some aid - crutches, walker. His feet were badly deformed. He couldn't join the Army like he wanted to when he was a young man.

Ever heard or seen a baby with whooping cough? Youtube can be your friend if you want to feel sad when you look it up. Babies under a certain age cannot be vaccinated for whooping cough and too many wind up dying when they contract it because it is so dangerous for their little bodies. There are lots of very sad stories out there.

You underestimate the severity of these diseases especially when compared with the risks associated with their vaccines. It's a no brainer.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:54 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,321,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I heard he supports vaccines, just that he wants to verify they're safe and get everybody informed about them. An open mind and transparency is such a foreign idea in government these days that its bound to be strange and frightening.

Can't say I get this appointment but often when you as the leader have someone on your team who disagrees with a position you often have them be in charge of selling your position. And since they want to succeed they give it their all and often go further than they have to to understand and articulate the issues supporting your position.

people just don't want to fail and if Kennedy reviews vaccines and is convinced they are safe, then that is a win win

Old 01-12-2017, 04:14 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You underestimate the severity of these diseases especially when compared with the risks associated with their vaccines. It's a no brainer.
For anybody that does not understand the severity of these terrible diseases; try Googling for images. Try: Pictures of Smallpox or Pictures of Chickenpox or Pictures of Mumps, or Pictures of Measles, or Pictures of Meningitis or Pictures of Polio - I hope you have a strong stomach. What you will see is terrible human suffering and the kind of suffering that you do not want for yourself or your loved ones.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:11 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Dying in one colossal cramp from tetanus is "natural", we have documented cases going back thousands of years. Getting a tetanus shot isn't.

Your pick, but don't expect me to respect your capacity for rational decision making if you decide to take your chances with Clostridium tetani.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...anus&FORM=IGRE

Old 01-12-2017, 05:13 PM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Just because the majority of your generation did not die or have lifetime disabilities from diseases doesn't mean they're not dangerous diseases, especially when compared to the vaccine. The vaccines are unquestionably safer than the diseases themselves. Why even take the risk at all? We KNOW that the diseases that REQUIRE vaccination in this country can be dangerous; again, especially when compared to the risk of the vaccines. We vaccinate against certain diseases for a reason. Mumps, for example, even if mild can lead to infertility in males. Not "dangerous" but a damn inconvenience for sufferers. A big price to pay for not getting vaccinated, a big risk to take. Some of these diseases can lead to other infections that result in death. To me, weighing the risks, it is obvious that vaccination is the better option.

Chickenpox is notoriously NOT that terrible for children, but much worse for adults. It can lead to shingles later in life - which completely sucks (I don't know from personal experience, but multiple family members do). Very painful. The chickenpox virus never leaves your body, but goes dormant, causing shingles in some patients later in life. You can even get it more than once. I'm fine with my vaccine for chickenpox.

As for Trump's generation - my great-uncle had polio as a child. Could never walk properly, and it got worse as he aged. When he died he was using a walker but should have been in a wheelchair (poor guy was way too stubborn for that). There was never a time after his illness when he didn't walk with some aid - crutches, walker. His feet were badly deformed. He couldn't join the Army like he wanted to when he was a young man.

Ever heard or seen a baby with whooping cough? Youtube can be your friend if you want to feel sad when you look it up. Babies under a certain age cannot be vaccinated for whooping cough and too many wind up dying when they contract it because it is so dangerous for their little bodies. There are lots of very sad stories out there.

Putting aside my and my generations's diseases, I have seen Shingles, both with my husband who HAD a Shingles vaccination and my 32 SIL who I DIAGNOSED having seen it with my husband. My SIL would not have been given that vaccination because he was TOO YOUNG. I suppose you think it should be required for everyone who has ever had chicken pox regardless of age? Both my husband and my SIL were in such "pain" that they both went to work for a work before ever going to a doctor. Does that sound what like your TV Ad's say? Frankly, in just my own circle, I have heard of far more YOUNG Adults getting Shingles than Seniors, vaccinations or not. Adults are not getting their Chicken Pox "boosters" from their own children and grandkids not getting Chicken Pox because of vaccination. Creating a disease from a vaccination requiring another vaccine.

I suppose Trump and I were rare and SO LUCKY to have escaped Polio in NYC by the time we were school age before that vaccine came out? Millions of us? As I said, we probably WERE exposed to it and never developed any symptoms. Not EVERYONE did, anymore than EVERYONE is going to die without a Flu Shot.

As for whooping cough, and mumps now it seems, that depends on Adults getting more and more boosters, which cannot be legislated. As I said about the flu, if someone doesn't have the disease, they cannot give it to anybody else. When you start demanding ADULT boosters, unlike children who you can keep out of school, you are going to run into big time problems. I have two grandkids ages 1 and almost 3. I do not have WHOOPING COUGH so how am I going to give it to them????? Every other disease, I had as a child and have LIFETIME IMMUNITY from those diseases, so I won't be giving them to anyone. My generation paid our "dues" with these diseases and now are reaping the BENEFITS (unlike questionable vaccines). Mumps outbreaks. Does 2 shots work or maybe we need 3 SHOTS? Big Pharms love this. More is better. Having Mumps itself gives LIFETIME IMMUNITY. If it hasn't been pulled in today's world, go watch an old Leave it Beaver when Beav got the Mumps and see what the reaction was to that. Or when Marsha got Chicken Pox. Their parents laughed about it, as did the general public. It would be similar today about someone getting the FLU, much to the chagrin of the vaccine pushers.

Last edited by Jo48; 01-12-2017 at 05:33 PM..

Old 01-12-2017, 05:18 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
"An investigation published by the British medical journal BMJ concludes the study's author, Dr. Andrew Wakefield, misrepresented or altered the medical histories of all 12 of the patients whose cases formed the basis of the 1998 study -- and that there was "no doubt" Wakefield was responsible.

According to BMJ, Wakefield received more than 435,000 pounds ($674,000) from the lawyers. Godlee said the study shows that of the 12 cases Wakefield examined in his paper, five showed developmental problems before receiving the MMR vaccine and three never had autism."

Wakefield has been unable to reproduce his results in the face of criticism, and other researchers have been unable to match them. Most of his co-authors withdrew their names from the study in 2004 after learning he had had been paid by a law firm that intended to sue vaccine manufacturers -- a serious conflict of interest he failed to disclose. After years on controversy, the Lancet, the prestigious journal that originally published the research, retracted Wakefield's paper last February."

Retracted autism study an 'elaborate fraud,' British journal finds - CNN.com

Old 01-12-2017, 10:11 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Putting aside my and my generations's diseases, I have seen Shingles, both with my husband who HAD a Shingles vaccination and my 32 SIL who I DIAGNOSED having seen it with my husband. My SIL would not have been given that vaccination because he was TOO YOUNG. I suppose you think it should be required for everyone who has ever had chicken pox regardless of age? Both my husband and my SIL were in such "pain" that they both went to work for a work before ever going to a doctor. Does that sound what like your TV Ad's say? Frankly, in just my own circle, I have heard of far more YOUNG Adults getting Shingles than Seniors, vaccinations or not. Adults are not getting their Chicken Pox "boosters" from their own children and grandkids not getting Chicken Pox because of vaccination. Creating a disease from a vaccination requiring another vaccine.

I suppose Trump and I were rare and SO LUCKY to have escaped Polio in NYC by the time we were school age before that vaccine came out? Millions of us? As I said, we probably WERE exposed to it and never developed any symptoms. Not EVERYONE did, anymore than EVERYONE is going to die without a Flu Shot.

As for whooping cough, and mumps now it seems, that depends on Adults getting more and more boosters, which cannot be legislated. As I said about the flu, if someone doesn't have the disease, they cannot give it to anybody else. When you start demanding ADULT boosters, unlike children who you can keep out of school, you are going to run into big time problems. I have two grandkids ages 1 and almost 3. I do not have WHOOPING COUGH so how am I going to give it to them????? Every other disease, I had as a child and have LIFETIME IMMUNITY from those diseases, so I won't be giving them to anyone. My generation paid our "dues" with these diseases and now are reaping the BENEFITS (unlike questionable vaccines). Mumps outbreaks. Does 2 shots work or maybe we need 3 SHOTS? Big Pharms love this. More is better. Having Mumps itself gives LIFETIME IMMUNITY. If it hasn't been pulled in today's world, go watch an old Leave it Beaver when Beav got the Mumps and see what the reaction was to that. Or when Marsha got Chicken Pox. Their parents laughed about it, as did the general public. It would be similar today about someone getting the FLU, much to the chagrin of the vaccine pushers.
We know. Since you know two people who had mild cases of shingles, that means shingles does not cause severe pain.

https://www.practicalpainmanagement....etic-neuralgia

"The duration of postherpetic neuralgia may be months to years and the pain may be mild to excruciating to the point of placing patients at risk for suicide. Postherpetic neuralgia is the most common cause of suicide in patients with chronic pain over the age of 70 in the United States and Western Europe."

No, everyone did not get symptomatic polio, but of those who did thousands died and many more thousands ended up with permanent disability. Polio has been eliminated in the US, by the vaccine. There were 39 cases of polio in the entire world in 2016, because of the vaccination effort.

Those diseases that you now are immune to? You had to get SICK to become immune. Those who take vaccines overwhelmingly do not get SICK. They are immune, too. The function of a vaccine is to keep people from ever getting SICK in the first place. The fewer people who get SICK, the less opportunity there is for other people to be exposed to the disease and get SICK, including people with medical contraindications to vaccination and infants who are too young.

Big Pharm would make much more money treating SICK people than it does with vaccines. Vaccines would not be used if they were not cost effective. The but ... but ... Big Pharm ... dog don't hunt when it comes to vaccines.

Sitcoms are written to get laughs. Author Roald Dahl was not laughing when his seven year old daughter Olivia died from measles encephalitis:

November 1962 - death of Roald Dahl's daughter Olivia

I suspect that men who are sterile due to mumps do not find it a laughing matter.

This Australian mom was not laughing when her newborn daughter had whooping cough and was struggling to breathe. The baby caught pertussis from her brother, who caught it at day care. Note that the video is hard to watch.

Whooping cough: Baby fights for life as mum urges parents to vaccinate kids

Another hard to watch video. This baby did not survive whooping cough:

Perth mother of Riley Hughes who died from whooping cough releases video | Daily Mail Online

These parents were not laughing when their formerly healthy one year old son died from chickenpox:

Layton Boys-Hope dies from chickenpox he caught from his brother | Daily Mail Online

This husband and father was not laughing when his wife miscarried while she had flu, then died herself.

29 year old Fort Smith woman told not to get flu shot dies from H1N1 after losing baby | KATV

Are you laughing at these families, Jo? Do you think it's funny, just like an ole sitcom, right? At the end of the show the Beav and Marsha were just fine. Unfortunately, not everyone who gets a vaccine preventable disease recovers and is just fine.

You probably will never give your grandchildren whooping cough, but it could happen. DH and I have had our boosters, just to reduce the small chance that it might.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Nobody is forced to get a flu shot. You are free to go without it. I skipped the vaccine myself this year and paid a hefty price for it. I will never miss it again. Guaranteed.
As a flu vaccine provider, I've heard this story many, many times. Get well!

Old 01-13-2017, 06:03 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times
Quote:
Well, since I had measles at 6 months old (not hospitalized), I supposed that is why I got all those other diseases before the age of 2, which I now have lifetime immunity to. No, the MAJORITY of our generation did not DIE or have lifetime disabilities from them.
I'll just throw out that my nextdoor neighbor is deaf as a result of childhood measles infection.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:52 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,836,240 times
Quote:
Putting aside my and my generations's diseases, I have...
You realize that the only reason there is such a thing as "your generation's diseases" ie diseases we rarely if ever see any more, is because of vaccines right? Those diseases did not magically disappear on their own. Kinda makes the rest of your post seem disengenuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies