Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 03:30 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,505,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I actually 'help' make our flu vaccine. So I am hoping that nothing changes. This possible appointment of the anti-vaxxer is not written in stone. Many of Trumps appointees are smart people and they are holding up relatively good in the confirmation hearings. Somebody that is too far out of the norm might have problems and it looks like Trump tried to avoid most problems.
No, it's not written in stone and I don't think it's happening. My posts are directed at Trump's Tweets (every time I type those words...Trump's Tweets, Trump Tweeting, Tweet, Tweeting...I feel old and silly).

Old 01-12-2017, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
You're right. Older people have had less vaccinations overall.

I don't think people understand vaccines correctly. They're not required for your body to fight the given disease IF one has a healthy immune system already. A person with a healthy immune system can build immunity against the same diseases.

My wife (Chinese, no vaccines) became an American citizen a few months ago, and part of the process included either getting vaccinated, or taking an antibody test. She opted for the test and it turns out she already had antibodies for all major diseases.

The concern about vaccines is not only based on it's link with autism, but the ingredients (preservatives) used in the mixture which some view as dangerous (mercury) and/or unethical (human tissue). Furthermore, vaccines are not 100% effective as evidenced from the odd outbreak that spreads amongst vaccinated individuals.

In my opinion, it's only a big issue if you're from a poor country with very poor nutrition/hygiene.
Do you mean titer tests? If she tests positive for the antibodies to various diseases (which "major" diseases?) then she was either exposed to them naturally or through vaccination. If she's never been exposed (either way) then she will not be immune. Just ask the Native Americans exposed to smallpox. Example, my husband will test "positive" for TB because he was vaccinated for it in his home country as a small child. We don't vaccinate for TB in the USA. There's also a good chance that she was vaccinated for some of the usuals (MMR, for example) and has no records or memory of it.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:13 AM

26,513 posts, read 15,092,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Transcript:

Video:

What Barack Obama said about autism and vaccines in 2008 | PolitiFact

Also, those comments were made two years before the milestone research by Andrew Wakefield was disputed and retracted by Lancet, a British medical journal. Wakefield's research and paper was so profoundly flawed that he lost his medical license for his nonsense.

So yes, please try to compare what Obama said - based on what was then reputable scientific research - with Trump - who continues to ignore that the autism/vaccination link has been thoroughly debunked.
From your link:

""I think that the data were pretty firm as of 2004," McCormick said. "The rigorous studies were consistent in showing no association, and those showing associations were deemed deeply *methodologically flawed."
Other scientists we contacted agreed with McCormick’s take."

You are hypersensitive for Obama.

I in fact said it wasn't the same as Obama didn't appoint a vaxxer (like Trump might) to such a high office, Obama merely encouraged vaxxers when the science said otherwise and Trump might institutionalize it.

The honest truth is, you are falling for an Obama Administration lie (I am guessing not the first time) where they tried to twist and explain away Obama's previous anti-science remarks as being due to new studies. The Washington Post, which endorsed Obama twice gave his explanation 2 Pinocchios.

Quote:
Although Earnest suggests Obama’s change of heart was triggered by the 2010 retraction of a paper that had been published in the Lancet, a British science journal, Dobbs had documented in 2008 that virtually all scientists at the time had concluded that research was discredited; he noted that at least five major studies had already debunked the link. That’s why he awarded Obama Two Pinocchios at the time; in light of Earnest’s remarks, we reaffirm those Pinocchios again.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8c256ccee19e

Old 01-12-2017, 04:13 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,506,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Do you mean titer tests? If she tests positive for the antibodies to various diseases (which "major" diseases?) then she was either exposed to them naturally or through vaccination. If she's never been exposed (either way) then she will not be immune. Just ask the Native Americans exposed to smallpox. Example, my husband will test "positive" for TB because he was vaccinated for it in his home country as a small child. We don't vaccinate for TB in the USA. There's also a good chance that she was vaccinated for some of the usuals (MMR, for example) and has no records or memory of it.
That's my point. She was not vaccinated as was the case with most of the people in her small village, yet her body mounted an immune response Because it was naturally able to defend itself against these diseases.

I wish there was more of a focus on giving our bodies the proper nutrition to prevent diseases in this country, rather than relying on pharmaceuticals (which all have undesirable side-effects).

By the way, our son is 15 months old, he's never even had nasal congestion much less an illness. We attribute this to a healthy diet (no dairy/sugar/gluten).

Old 01-12-2017, 04:17 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
From your link:

""I think that the data were pretty firm as of 2004," McCormick said. "The rigorous studies were consistent in showing no association, and those showing associations were deemed deeply *methodologically flawed."
Other scientists we contacted agreed with McCormick’s take."

You are hypersensitive for Obama.

I in fact said it wasn't the same as Obama didn't appoint a vaxxer (like Trump might) to such a high office, Obama merely encouraged vaxxers when the science said otherwise and Trump might institutionalize it.

The honest truth is, you are following for an Obama Administration lie (I am guessing not the first time) where they tried to twist and explain away Obama's previous anti-science remarks as being due to knew studies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8c256ccee19e
I'm not hypersensitive for Obama. I'm hypersensitive for the truth. I'm not falling for anything. What I posted is factual. Back at that time *I* thought there might be a link between these vaccines and autism but when it came out the research was total *******s, guess what I did? I changed my mind because that is what intelligent, mature people do when the facts change.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
That's my point. She was not vaccinated as was the case with most of the people in her small village, yet her body mounted an immune response Because it was naturally able to defend itself against these diseases.

I wish there was more of a focus on giving our bodies the proper nutrition to prevent diseases in this country, rather than relying on pharmaceuticals (which all have undesirable side-effects).

By the way, our son is 15 months old, he's never even had nasal congestion much less an illness. We attribute this to a healthy diet (no dairy/sugar/gluten).
The immune response had to come from somewhere, is my point. Let's just focus on one disease, measles. Just an example. That she is immune to measles means she was exposed to it at one point. Maybe she didn't get very sick, her symptoms were mild. That's great! But she did not get immunity out of thin air. Immunity either comes from being exposed to the disease or vaccination. Immunity, in and of itself, doesn't come from healthy living, avoiding dairy/sugar/gluten. Curious, do you give your kid fruit? Lots of sugar there, but also antioxidants.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:45 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,506,487 times
Quote:
The immune response had to come from somewhere, is my point. Let's just focus on one disease, measles. Just an example. That she is immune to measles means she was exposed to it at one point. Maybe she didn't get very sick, her symptoms were mild. That's great! But she did not get immunity out of thin air. Immunity either comes from being exposed to the disease or vaccination. Immunity, in and of itself, doesn't come from healthy living, avoiding dairy/sugar/gluten. Curious, do you give your kid fruit? Lots of sugar there, but also antioxidants.
No fruit. There are other sources of much higher antioxidants.

Yes, I agree with you. At some point she was exposed to the said illnesses, but her body overcame it. That's something that many people don't understand, is that our bodies can fight even some of the more worrisome illnesses... well it has the potential, but we actually weaken our bodies natural faculties by propping it up with superficial safeguards, or feeding it poor nutrition. You've heard of atrophy, right?

Old 01-12-2017, 05:21 AM

17,006 posts, read 12,602,310 times
Grrrr. &%$@&%@! anti vaxxers. Wife found their spew when my kids were very young. Had so many fights with her about this. On top of 2 jobs, I had to take them for their shots even though she is a SAHM. Then got the cold shoulder for 3 days after for "ignoring her concerns"

Old 01-12-2017, 06:27 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
Quote:
Flu shots are recommended. Hep B and HPV are very different from Polio, DTaP, Hib, MMR (required). Hep A we did for us and our kid because we traveled a lot. My guess is Trump has received many more vaccines than you think. As have his kids and grandkids. Trump travels, as I used to. Probably has had a Yellow Fever (that was an owie, hated it!). I had to take anti-malarial for the Amazon (it was early 90s, I imagine they have improved). I think I had a typhoid vaccine for South America but can't quite remember. But as for the regulars, Polio (given Trump's age he probably had OPV rather than IPV, etc...he's probably had them, his kids and grandkids too.
I am 2 years younger than Trump, and also from NYC. We either had or were exposed to those diseases long before those vaccines came out. Teenagers. They did not give a kid a measles vax when they already had the disease. MMR is not required for our generation. Polio vaccination? Yes, they came around to give us that in school (think I was around 7), BUT we were still school age when that one came out too and had probably already been exposed to it, especially living in a big city. You do know that you can be asymptomatic to polio? A lot of people in my generation were probably exposed to polio before that vax was ever invented. We did have DPT but the last of that was given at around 4 years old. I found my old vaccination records. My last vaccination was in 1952. The list is very, very small. Again, I am Trump's age.

My daughters are in the 30's. Yes, they got MMR, DPT, Polio, but none of those others because they were not around. By the time the Varcella (spelling?) vax came out, they already had the disease. Why would their doctor give them that? How old are Trump's kids? Didn't they grow up in NYC too? They might have had that disease also. HIB came out when mine were teens. I declined that for them, and the school did not require a new vaccine for HS students. I also declined that for my job in public schools. Adults can decline that, no questions asked. OSHA Opt. Out form. K-12 Public School Staff are not required to have or show proof of vaccinations.

The only vaccine that was required for European travel back in the 60's was Small Pox. I have never been to those other countries so I cannot say what is required. Caribbean travel doesn't require anything today.

Maybe Trump has gotten more vaccines for travel, but he is on the record as saying he has never gotten a flu shot. Who knows if he is up to date on boosters or anything else "required" for his age? I might question that given what has been written about his personal physician. He has also said that he doesn't want the White House Doctor. Make you wonder?

Trump is certainly a character, to put it mildly. No, I did not vote for him.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:43 AM

57,321 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Who knew there was even a vaccine committee, why isn't this part of HHS.

Wrong person for job, another than doesn't believe in science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies