Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 06:06 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
The EC was created for a couple of reasons, but one of the reasons was that there was a general distrust for the voting public
I distrust the voting public.
Much of America is functionally illiterate and they vote based more on emotion rather than logic.

Should a person who abuses welfare and has never read a book have the right to vote? Personally, I would say no.

If I had it my way, only persons 21 and up who are paying more than $100 in federal income taxes each year should have the right to vote (this would automatically disqualify 45% of the population). Only people who are contributing to the system should be afforded the privilege of a vote. The only exception to this rule would be senior citizens.

Voting should not be a fundamental right, that's an incredibly stupid idea.
Considering how many idiots follow Kim Kardashian on twitter or think Katy Perry makes good music...can we trust these people to make wise voting choices? Good god no!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 06:07 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Much of America is functionally illiterate and they vote based more on emotion rather than logic.

Should a person who abuses welfare and has never read a book have the right to vote? Personally, I would say no.

If I had it my way, only persons 21 and up who are paying more than $100 in federal income taxes each year should have the right to vote (this would automatically disqualify 45% of the population). Only people who are contributing to the system should be afforded the privilege of a vote. The only exception to this rule would be senior citizens.

Considering how many idiots follow Kim Kardashian on twitter or think Katy Perry makes good music..can we trust these people to make wise voting choices? Good god no!
And this just left Seattle as a topic.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:10 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
This is about Seattle anti-Trump protests. The country is divided and Seattle takes comfort in its beauty and distance from the fray. If someone deliberately chooses to come to Seattle above all the other places in the world, they should not tell Seattle how to think or that they should move, seriously. There are protests all over the country and he only got 8% of the vote in Seattle, of course there would be protests here.
People have different views. Seattle is a wonderful city among many wonderful cities. Whether you have a litmus test of political ideology is short sighted and judgmental. How that fit's into your groovy town I don't know. We are moving to Seattle area because we enjoy the environment. You see choice is a right, so is the pursuit of happiness, and lest you forget the right to disagree. America is a wonderful country with millions of lovely and generous people. Don't worry it's more than you think.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
And this just left Seattle as a topic.
Anyways, I wonder how many of those anti-Trump protesters are unemployed?

Old 01-21-2017, 06:22 PM

735 posts, read 871,684 times
Seeing how many Trump supporters seemed to have come out of 4chan and he won uneducated voters, I wonder how many Trump voters are employed?

Seattle is a very blue city, it's also a very educated one with a well paid population. Blue states generally give more to the government then they take, it's red states that generally are welfare states.

Trump ran on a message that our country sucks and that is going to register with unemployed people.

Ugh, my typos are getting worse, so I am checking out for the night. In my defense, I majored in bio, hated English and every writer says that their first draft is terrible.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
People have different views. Seattle is a wonderful city among many wonderful cities. Whether you have a litmus test of political ideology is short sighted and judgmental. How that fit's into your groovy town I don't know. We are moving to Seattle area because we enjoy the environment. You see choice is a right, so is the pursuit of happiness, and lest you forget the right to disagree. America is a wonderful country with millions of lovely and generous people. Don't worry it's more than you think.
Judgmental like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Comments like yours cause me to shake my head.
Idaho has a similar environment and Boise probably didn't have any upsetting Trump protests like Seattle had today. It makes no sense to complain about a place that was blue before moving there.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:35 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Judgmental like this?

Idaho has a similar environment and Boise probably didn't have any upsetting Trump protests like Seattle had today. It makes no sense to complain about a place that was blue before moving there.
I think that you overestimate how important your viewpoints are to daily life. Just my opinion.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Seeing how many Trump supporters seemed to have come out of 4chan and he won uneducated voters, I wonder how many Trump voters are employed?
Welfare abusers would have more of an incentive to vote democrat.

Quote:
Seattle is a very blue city, it's also a very educated one with a well paid population. Blue states generally give more to the government then they take, it's red states that generally are welfare states.
Blue states tend to have higher population density which equates to more tax revenue.
Also the red southern states tend to have larger black and hispanic populations which use welfare at much higher rates compared to white families. (blacks and hispanics at more than 50% of households on welfare, whites at around 23% of households) according to 2012 data.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Welfare abusers would have more of an incentive to vote democrat.

Blue states tend to have higher population density which equates to more tax revenue.
Also the red southern states tend to have larger black and hispanic populations which use welfare at much higher rates compared to white families. (blacks and hispanics at more than 50% of households on welfare, whites at around 23% of households) according to 2012 data.
Welfare has been decreasing for years and disability has been replacing welfare for some time. States are paying third party companies to convert welfare recipients (state funds) to disability (federal funds) and the top five states on disability are West Virginia (almost 10%), Arkansas, Alabama, Mississippi and Kentucky. West Virginia is about 95% white.

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/

Seattle is liberal for many reasons but diversity probably has little to do with it, and they do not like Trump.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:32 PM

300 posts, read 414,197 times
Quote:

Considering how many idiots follow Kim Kardashian on twitter or think Katy Perry makes good music...can we trust these people to make wise voting choices? Good god no!
Yes!! agree! People, who do not pay tax, vote for tax increase and bond package in general because someone else pay for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies