Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 11:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,030,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is the way I read it also. Trump can't make it "gone" on his own. He can lead on how he wants it pursued though. Kinda like Obama with immigration.

Once again the arguments flip. It will now be good to not enforce our laws.
Just the same thing Obama did when he came into office in 2009 but I guess now it's bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Regulations come from the federal agencies, not Congress. As in, HHS created the legislation mandating that insurers cover contraception with no deductible or copays to their insured women, all of the regulations created by the EPA to stifle the coal industry and gain control of the countries waterways, myriad IRS regulations we all know and love.

So as I heard it this morning, President Trump sent a memo to government agencies not to create any more regulations, until he has had a chance to review them, and there is anticipation that many of these regulations will be overturned, thrown out, tossed out of existence, whatever it is that happens to old, warn out, repetitive or onerous regulations.

Trump White House tells agencies to halt regulations | TheHill
He also stopped any new regulations, even those signed by Obama from being entered into the federal register which means they are all kaput...

Old 01-21-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Get in line with 330 million other Americans who have no idea what health care might be in a few years.

It's a pretty safe bet that Medicare won't change much. The 65+ set votes and anyone 50+ is going to violently object to their deal being changed in any way. That's the political 3rd rail.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Medicaid will get crushed. Medicaid and CHIP kid Medicaid people don't vote. Even if the ACA expansion remains, what Medicaid covers is surely going to be gutted. I figure the Federal government will just give the states block grants and let the states figure out how to spend the money. When it's 50 cents on the dollar from 2016 funding levels, there is going to be some pretty tight rationing. The big one is that 31% of Medicaid pays for the elderly in nursing homes who have run out of money. It's tough to kick grandma out into the street so I don't see how that part can be cut very much. That makes for enormous cuts in services for anybody else. Forget about anything fancy for the expensive behavior-induced chronic things like diabetes, heart disease, and pulmonary disease. No expensive drugs like Solvaldi for treating Hep C, Abilify for bipolar/schizophrenia, or Truvada for HIV. No heroic operations. Take two aspirin.

I figure the "you can't turn away uninsured people at the Emergency Room" mandate is going to go away. If you're an illegal, you die. Anybody Medicaid or CHIP will only have limited access and be told they need to stop using the ER as a medical walk-in. That might actually make the ER cheaper for citizens paying cash. Right now, those people subsidize the illegals who don't pay and the Medicaid/CHIP people where the hospital loses money.

I don't have a clue what will happen with everybody else on paid individual private insurance. The Republicans don't want healthy people (through higher premiums) or wealthy people (through higher taxes) to subsidize unhealthy people. You can't do anything without addressing the cost side and that's largely labor costs in the medical cartel. That's 18% of GDP with the largest lobby on the planet standing in the way of any kind of cost cutting. The populist Trump message is very different from the Republican establishment message. Who knows? Somehow, I think doctors, nurses, and all the other labor that make up most of the cost are going to continue making similar money. If unhealthy people aren't subsidized and they have to pay market rate, most won't be able to afford it.

I've always had gold-plated corporate group health insurance. I doubt that will change at all. Poor people will get crushed. The middle class buying their own in the exchanges today is anyone's guess.
Well, given that the middle class (who pay for most everything) is currently getting crushed change could be a good thing.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:12 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
During campaign he repeats how all laws must be enforced, and the very 1st thing he does as president is to give an order to stop enforcing a law.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:13 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
It won't work and or last, so shouldn't get one's hopes up just yet.

If you don't require the healthy to sign up for insurance, you are left with what is plaguing ACA now; large consumers of healthcare services draining an insurance pool.

All insurance works the same; those who pay in but have few or no claims balance out those that draw heavily from the pool. If you remove the individual mandate, insurers are likely to demand (as they rightfully should) limits and or ability to refuse those with pre-existing conditions. This and or again back to placing monetary ceilings (lifetime, yearly or whatever).

Before anyone jumps up and down saying "good", remember this; only God knows our individual fates. Plenty of persons have been healthy in the morning and suffered a major health issue by noon or evening. If you already had health insurance then you were (probably) ok. OTOH if not, then often you were SOL; as unless state where you reside forces insurance companies to do otherwise you'd find yourself "uninsurable". This period could last for months, days, years or even lifetime.

It didn't have to be a serious illness/health event either to trigger such a response. Until ACA insurance companies routinely denied coverage under "pre-existing conditions" for everything from allergies to pregnancy.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:13 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,797,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This is the way I read it also. Trump can't make it "gone" on his own. He can lead on how he wants it pursued though. Kinda like Obama with immigration.

Once again the arguments flip. It will now be good to not enforce our laws.

You are comparing enforcing a bad law with enforcing a good law.

Nothing has flipped, except for common sense maybe.

Originally Posted by steven_h
ACA was just, for the most part, an expansion of Medicaid.

Where do people on Medicaid go for their healthcare? If you are on Medicaid and have the flu a doctor can see you in 6 weeks. so the ER.

They may not know how much it costs, but some in here don;t have clue how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Not so. What about those of us who buy insurance on the exchange:full price, no subsidies?
Medicaid? Not.
Congratulations, you earn enough to pay full price and help cover those that do not. The majority of people have been placed on Medicaid, that is a fact... even if you say "not so"

Old 01-21-2017, 12:15 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Just the same thing Obama did when he came into office in 2009 but I guess now it's bad?
Was it right? (I don't expect you to answer)

Old 01-21-2017, 12:16 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
During campaign he repeats how all laws must be enforced, and the very 1st thing he does as president is to give an order to stop enforcing a law.

Well people did warn Obama/democrats that the prior administration's use of "selective enforcement" would come back to bite them on the behind, and now it apparently has done so.

When Obama started going down the path of not enforcing "DOMA" because he didn't believe it was legally sound, it set a precedent. One that *all* future POTUS will now likely avail themselves of if it suits them in future.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:17 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You are comparing enforcing a bad law with enforcing a good law.
A law is the law. You are a hypocrite.

Quote:
Nothing has flipped, except for common sense maybe.
Indeed it has. This is everything that is wrong with our country.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:19 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,287,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
YIIIPPPPPEEEEEE! Free at last,free at last!!!!

Free from what exactly ? Having to be financially responsible for your own healthcare bills via insurance ? Did you have ins before Obamacare ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies