Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 07:18 AM

18,474 posts, read 15,266,337 times

Advertisements

I have been watching Saturday Night Live since my childhood, with the original cast, which I still think was the best cast, btw. I have always liked politics, but have always taken it pretty lightheartedly. And I have always enjoyed the political satire going back to Chevy Chase's portrayal of the clumsy Gerald Ford character.

And SNL has historically poked fun at both sides of the political spectrum. But lately, it seems they are very agenda driven. At first, I laughed at Alec Baldwin's Trump impersonation and the Kellyanne Conway impersonation, and the Putin impersonations, but it is starting to be too much. Last night I had to turn it off. I made it as far as the Kellyanne Conway musical sketch and I couldn't watch it anymore.

This stuff is great in small doses, but when every show is devoted to it, it changes from "poking fun" to a political agenda. I am starting to feel like I'm being told how I should think, which is an extremely repulsive force. They are going down the path of MSNBC, and we all know how poor their ratings are.

I guess if you hate our current president, you probably can't get enough of this stuff, but if you don't, this is a huge turn off to the show. A show that traditionally has enjoyed viewership from people of all political persuasions. Perhaps when they see their ratings drop, they will go back to doing what they do best, fantastic sketch comedy sprinkled with political satire here and there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 07:25 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,595,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I have been watching Saturday Night Live since my childhood, with the original cast, which I still think was the best cast, btw. I have always liked politics, but have always taken it pretty lightheartedly. And I have always enjoyed the political satire going back to Chevy Chase's portrayal of the clumsy Gerald Ford character.

And SNL has historically poked fun at both sides of the political spectrum. But lately, it seems they are very agenda driven. At first, I laughed at Alec Baldwin's Trump impersonation and the Kellyanne Conway impersonation, and the Putin impersonations, but it is starting to be too much. Last night I had to turn it off. I made it as far as the Kellyanne Conway musical sketch and I couldn't watch it anymore.

This stuff is great in small doses, but when every show is devoted to it, it changes from "poking fun" to a political agenda. I am starting to feel like I'm being told how I should think, which is an extremely repulsive force. They are going down the path of MSNBC, and we all know how poor their ratings are.

I guess if you hate our current president, you probably can't get enough of this stuff, but if you don't, this is a huge turn off to the show. A show that traditionally has enjoyed viewership from people of all political persuasions. Perhaps when they see their ratings drop, they will go back to doing what they do best, fantastic sketch comedy sprinkled with political satire here and there.
It's political satire. It's funny.

You apparently have lost your funny bone, now that you're a Trumper. You are offended by the humor this time because once you became a Trumper, you lost your objectivity. I've seen this happen to people before. It's funny...until it's their guy.

I voted for Obama. SNL raked him over the coals. Some liberals couldn't take it and denied he had the flaws that were made fun of, or denied he sucked at a particular debate. I didn't. I have a sense of humor, and I think I recognize the truth when I see it, without my love or hate of a person interfering. Obama did indeed really suck at one paticular debate. SNL portrayed him as standing there saying "duh" throughout it. That's exaggerated, but based on truth.

But then, I have a sense of humor. So do most national politicians. Trump has an ego mental issue, is very thin skinned, vain, demands idolatry, and is petty. He will never appreciate a joke about himself. As opposed to every other President that SNL has raked over the coals.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:29 AM

27,665 posts, read 16,156,388 times
It's been a repulsive one sided cringe fest for well over a decade. Mad tv was Way better.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It's political satire. It's funny.

You apparently have lost your funny bone, now that you're a Trumper. You are offended by the humor this time because once you became a Trumper, you lost your objectivity. I've seen this happen to people before. It's funny...until it's their guy.

I voted for Obama. SNL raked him over the coals. Some liberals couldn't take it and denied he had the flaws that were made fun of, or denied he sucked at a particular debate. I didn't. I have a sense of humor, and I think I recognize the truth when I see it, without my love or hate of a person interfering. Obama did indeed really suck at one paticular debate. SNL portrayed him as standing there saying "duh" throughout it. That's exaggerated, but based on truth.

But then, I have a sense of humor. So do most national politicians. Trump has an ego mental issue, is very thin skinned, vain, demands idolatry, and is petty. He will never appreciate a joke about himself. As opposed to every other President that SNL has raked over the coals.
This is what you got from my post???

Old 01-22-2017, 07:31 AM

45,241 posts, read 26,477,444 times
Well when govt is you religion and your saviour just got crucified

Old 01-22-2017, 07:34 AM

568 posts, read 962,830 times
Quote:
I think he nailed it exactly....

Old 01-22-2017, 07:37 AM

I also think part of it, is the same reason why comedy sequels (with a few exceptions) don't do very well. Part of what makes comedy funny, is its originality. When it is new, it is often jarring and shocking, but when you hear the same routine over and over again, it loses its comedic value.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:37 AM

39,082 posts, read 51,266,875 times
Quote:
I got that too.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterposh View Post
I think he nailed it exactly....
Then how come a few months ago, I found Alec Baldwin's Trump impression funny? I was still a Trump supporter back then.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:39 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,736,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
It's been a repulsive one sided cringe fest for well over a decade. Mad tv was Way better.
Remember this? I don't recall anything comparable about Barack Hussein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia1Nlq4Wg_4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies