Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2017, 04:12 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,441,687 times

Advertisements

IT'S FRIDAY AFTERNOON WHY AREN'T ALL THOSE PEOPLE AT WORK?????

Because we all know only white, Christian, Republican, Pro-lifers have jobs and pay taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 04:18 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 253valerie View Post
I was just pointing out that adoption is not the ideal solution a lot of people make it out to be. Because most people who don't personally know an adoptee, only see this rosy image of a new happy family.

My husband had an open adoption, I know his birth-family, and a number of them even came to our wedding. But still, he's not sure how he feels about advocating adoption. Some adoptees are perfectly fine, others really struggle.
I understand. But I'm just wondering whether he'd rather have been aborted.

Not trying to be snarky but that's a legit question.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:31 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

But it's not really a legit question is it? The legitimate question is to ask an embryo, do you want to continue gestating? Because that's what we are talking about. Not a fully grown, sentient man, with a years of consciousness, memories, emotional attachments, will and desires who, of course, would answer in the affirmative.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:32 PM

305 posts, read 180,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

He has uncontrolled epilepsy, which if you don't know can cause severe depression. I've heard him say multiple times that he wished he had been aborted. I have no idea how much he meant it. I know he said it a lot when he was a teenager - but there's a lot to that story that's not mine to tell.

I know that most days he's happy to have the life he has, and he'd probably tell you, that of course he doesn't wish he was aborted, but I know he'd also explain that his personal feelings are more complicated than that.

Like I said, it's a real struggle. I looked into it not long after his epilepsy started and suicide rates are significantly higher among adoptees. There's a lot of reasons for that, medical background, the trauma simply involved with adoption, lack of identity, etc. - but it's hardly isolated cases. That struggle exists for a lot of adoptees.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:34 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,313,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Got to love the women who believe they don't deserve theirs rights or choice
I am a woman but I don't have the right to take someone else's life because they happen to inconvenience me or get in the way of my plans. Using that logic, I guess I have the right to kill my neighbor if his dog defecates on my lawn and causes me the inconvenience of picking it up. Me, ME, ME!!!!

I wonder if all of you "pro-choice" (misnomer, considering the child gets zero choice but why muddy things with facts?) people out there have even ever met a true pro-life woman. All of the women I know who are proud mothers and wives are pro-life. It's kind of hard not to be when you know that the unborn children that are slaughtered in abortion mills like Planned Parenthood have faces, hair on their heads, beating hearts, and tiny hands and feet.

I wonder how many baby girls have been killed in the name of "choice" since Roe v. Wade that might have grown into women if given a natural chance, and actually been there to bolster the numbers of those who marched on Washington last week for the right to kill them?

The irony is truly sickening.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:37 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,313,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
But it's not really a legit question is it? The legitimate question is to ask an embryo, do you want to continue gestating? Because that's what we are talking about. Not a fully grown, sentient man, with a years of consciousness, memories, emotional attachments, will and desires who, of course, would answer in the affirmative.
But the whole point is, that embryo cannot speak for himself but left alone would grow into a viable human being just like you and me. Since he can't speak for himself, why does someone else get to decide to deny him life? You were once an embryo. Assuming that you are fairly happy with life and would like to continue living it, would you have wanted to be denied the right to live by someone else because you couldn't speak for yourself yet or would have wanted to be protected by someone who realized that you would grow into you, a viable, valuable human being and that taking your life at any stage would have been murder?

Old 01-27-2017, 04:42 PM

305 posts, read 180,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
But the whole point is, that embryo cannot speak for himself but left alone would grow into a viable human being just like you and me. Since he can't speak for himself, why does someone else get to decide to deny him life? You were once an embryo. Assuming that you are fairly happy with life and would like to continue living it, would you have wanted to be denied the right to live by someone else because you couldn't speak for yourself yet?
To play devil's advocate, we as a society kill sentient beings all the time who have no voice to defend themselves. Whose to say that those beings couldn't go on to do greater good for the world, and so someone should advocate for their protection?

Old 01-27-2017, 04:47 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
I am a woman but I don't have the right to take someone else's life because they happen to inconvenience me or get in the way of my plans. Using that logic, I guess I have the right to kill my neighbor if his dog defecates on my lawn and causes me the inconvenience of picking it up. Me, ME, ME!!!!

I wonder if all of you "pro-choice" (misnomer, considering the child gets zero choice but why muddy things with facts?) people out there have even ever met a true pro-life woman. All of the women I know who are proud mothers and wives are pro-life. It's kind of hard not to be when you know that the unborn children that are slaughtered in abortion mills like Planned Parenthood have faces, hair on their heads, beating hearts, and tiny hands and feet.

I wonder how many baby girls have been killed in the name of "choice" since Roe v. Wade that might have grown into women if given a natural chance, and actually been there to bolster the numbers of those who marched on Washington last week for the right to kill them?

I'm a proud mother and wife, yet I'm pro choice. I don't feel it's my place to make any decision for another woman regarding her life or her medical decisions.
Maybe I just think that women are perfectly capable of making decisions for themselves.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:49 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:

I think is truly sickening that anyone believes the government has the right to tell me what I can do with my body.

I think it is truly sickening that 400,000+ children are in foster care and that thousands of them turn 18 every year with no family to celebrate their successes, sympathize with their setbacks.

I think it is truly sickening that thousands of children around the world are hungry and cold and scared tonight and the self-righouteous are demanding that more be born.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 01-27-2017 at 05:02 PM..

Old 01-27-2017, 04:57 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,982 times
So much to mine here...

Quote:
Using that logic, I guess I have the right to kill my neighbor if his dog defecates on my lawn and causes me the inconvenience of picking it up.
Comparing picking up dog crap to the multi-decade responsibility of raising a mentally and emotionally sound human being into adulthood at the cost of approx $250,000, at last estimate?

Come now... you can make a better argument than that. Don't be afraid to dazzle me.

Quote:
All of the women I know who are proud mothers and wives are pro-life.
Well today's your lucky day. I'm a proud mother and wife and I'm pro-choice. Now you know another good woman with opposing view points. Feels good, don't it?

Quote:
It's kind of hard not to be when you know that the unborn children that are slaughtered in abortion mills like Planned Parenthood have faces, hair on their heads, beating hearts, and tiny hands and feet.
Did you fall for that video, too? Yeah, it happens. Hard to vet the truth these days.

Quote:
I think it's 57 million according to the March for Life site (aren't you proud? I'm educating myself).

But chances are some of those girls would have been killed in infancy, slammed against walls, shaken to death, others would have been neglected and died from a preventable accident. Others may have grown older and sexually abused or housed in cage for years. Others sold off to pimps or pimped out by their mothers. Others would have run away and killed on the streets, or gotten hooked on some drug or the other. Probably others raped and maybe impregnated. And then a whole other set may have been born into poverty, pregnant at young age and in need of government help to be be then shamed by conservatives for being a taker and an irresponsible ****.

My mother used see children in the emergency pediatric unit during her residency. She told me once of a few of her worsts cases caused by the parents. I think her words were "something are worse than death".

Anyway! I'm sure others who have been loved, cherished, educated, fed, clothed and would have gone on to be pink-haired, raging feminists pissing on the corner of Trump Tower in NYC. Who's to say.

But I do now that the 57 million women who did have those abortions, were able to do so safely and legally. And I will fight, everyday, so that my daughter has that option if that day ever comes for her.

And finally, because I'm a proud and damn good mother, I'm going log off and enjoy my kids. I think it's salmon and kale night. Organic, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies