Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2017, 08:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Your precious daughter had you. Not everyone has a mother who has their back.

You have little idea what pro-choice women truly, truly believe or the options and struggles they face.

As long as there are children around the world who are hungry and scared and we refuse to take care of them, it is immoral to insist that more be born.

I agree with Sister Joan Chittister that we need a much broader conversation on what pro-life is.

"I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion, that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don't? Because you don't want any tax money to go there. That's not pro-life. That's pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is."
Thanks for the first line.

But I take issue with the second one - serious issue. I work with underprivileged women on a weekly basis, teaching life skills classes. Not only that, for about five years of my young adulthood, I was crushingly poor and lived "among the poor." In the projects, surrounded by extreme poverty and every form of dysfunction you can imagine.

So I DO have quite a clear idea what pro choice women truly truly believe or the options and struggles they face.

And as I have pointed out repeatedly, I am just about sick and tired of those who are pro life being accused of being less than caring about the subsequent lives of the children who are born in trying circumstances. Besides our tax dollars, which are used to fund social programs (and by the way, my husband and I and many people we know have consistently paid a higher percentage of our income in taxes than Obama OR Trump), many many many of us, like myself, are directly involved in and/or support monetarily many charities and organizations that provide assistance to those struggling with poverty and other challenges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
First, your manslaughter law values greatly from state to state, so that depends.

Second - that's entirely subjective. In my opinion, having full genetic material doesn't make you a person, if you aren't sentient. A sperm, an egg, an zygote, an embro, a fetus - are potential real people in various stages of development. But until they're born - they aren't their own persons yet.

Charging fetal homicide is really dependent on the context. If the future baby is wanted and the perpetrator has stolen something from the parents, then yes it is a crime.

And it shouldn't go any further than that.

Because otherwise, we have that dreadful slippery slope where women can be held criminally responsible for a miscarriage. And that would not be good at all. At all.
Good lord. And thanks for this insight into the mind of one pro choice person.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:54 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinette118 View Post
Reality check: The women marching on Friday already have their rights

They already made their choice. The choice is for "Life."
That's awesome. So what was the purpose of the march? You have correctly identified that the marchers have the right to not have an abortion.

If they are able to make their choice, then others should be allowed to make theirs.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Good lord. And thanks for this insight into the mind of one pro choice person.
Hey you're welcome. Anything else I can help you with?

Old 01-28-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Illegal abortion is the perfect excuse to CRIMINALIZE WOMEN

POOR, young, usually raped women (or girls) end up in PRISION for aborting in countries where its ilegal. I know cause my country is one. You AWFUL CRUEL people have no idea what girls or women go through in a country where abortion is ilegal. You either die, or go to prision. Or, yeah, raise a child from your rapist that you dont want, cant take care of; dont have the money to feed or care for.

So, yeah, let women die or go to prision, lets perpetuate poor, miserable families who would starve to death.

THATS WHAT YOU.PEOPLE WANT. YOU WANT WOMEN OR YOUNG GIRLS TO DIE. Dont even pretend to care for an "unborn child" when all you want is millons of women dying everyear for ilegal abortion malpractice, millons in prision, millon miserable.

Thats what YOU people want. No one is more inhuman and ignorant than you.
The vast, vast majority of pregnancies that end in abortion are not the result of rape. I've already given the link to info about abortion so I won't repeat myself by providing it again (and I doubt you'd read it anyway).

Also, not sure if you're aware of this, but many pro life proponents are willing to accept legalized abortion in the cases of rape, incest, or the mother's life being in danger. Some (like myself) would even take it further and be in favor of legal abortion in the case of a young girl under the age of 15 or so. I'm open to discussion on that.

In fact, prior to Roe vs Wade, abortion was legal in the case of rape, incest, danger to the mother's life, an abnormal fetus, and/or upon request in 20 states.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aborti...s_pre-1973.svg

I personally believe it should have been expanded for those conditions (minus just "upon request") to all fifty states, but hey, that's just me.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:03 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
It's quite simple. If one doesn't believe in abortion and believes in the right to life, then they can continue with their pregnancies, unwanted or not, accident or not, rape or incest or not, and live their lives as they choose. If another person does believe in abortion, they can have one. One's actions do not directly affect the other's, either way. If I hypothetically had an abortion, it would not affect any of you posters. If I thought abortions in all cases are horrible and never have one, it also would not affect any of you posters.

I don't like the idea that some people use abortion as birth control and some people wind up pregnant at inconvenient times and have an abortion. I don't think it's right. But it's not my problem. I'm allowed to think it's morally wrong but still be pro-choice. Why? Because there are women who are raped, have babies with fatal deformities or conditions, or who have medical problems themselves that, with a pregnancy, can be very dangerous or fatal. To end abortion would mean we deny the choice from all those women. And no, there would be no real way to distinguish and say, "well, abortions should only be allowed for rape victims," for example. Then we'd have a rash of people wanting abortions claiming they were raped when it's untrue, so they could get an abortion. It's just not possible.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I wish you guys would march for the kids in foster care who want homes. There are hundreds of thousands of them. Yet they are forgotten. You march for life but these kids go from foster home to foster home. They are the living here and now. So to me your cause is bogus. You want to make abortion illegal and go to back alley abortions. So I guess if it's illegal then you can be in peace and say you did your part with no regard what will happen to women. There has always been abortion and always will. Our country just choose to make it better for women. But making abortion illegal won't end abortion.

And every one of the kids in foster care were born after abortion for any reason was legalized. How have abortion laws helped them?

And once again, many many pro life proponents DO support charities which target all sorts of sociological issues, including foster care. What do you and others base this accusation on? How on earth do you actually reach the conclusion that pro life proponents are not donating time, effort, and/or money to various charities that reach out to the needs of children? Where are you getting your "facts?"

Actually, study after study shows that conservatives give more to charity than liberals.
Do Conservatives Really Give More to Charity Than Liberals? A Powerful Anecdote Fuels Debate.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Hey you're welcome. Anything else I can help you with?

Err, thanks but no thanks. I can research and reach conclusions without your input. Though it is occasionally perhaps more enlightening than you intend it to be.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:07 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
And every one of the kids in foster care were born after abortion for any reason was legalized. How have abortion laws helped them?
Their mothers made a choice. It's very possible that without abortion, there'd be even more kids in foster care or needing to be adopted. Our systems are already oversaturated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
The vast, vast majority of pregnancies that end in abortion are not the result of rape. I've already given the link to info about abortion so I won't repeat myself by providing it again (and I doubt you'd read it anyway).

Also, not sure if you're aware of this, but many pro life proponents are willing to accept legalized abortion in the cases of rape, incest, or the mother's life being in danger. Some (like myself) would even take it further and be in favor of legal abortion in the case of a young girl under the age of 15 or so. I'm open to discussion on that.

In fact, prior to Roe vs Wade, abortion was legal in the case of rape, incest, danger to the mother's life, an abnormal fetus, and/or upon request in 20 states.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aborti...s_pre-1973.svg

I personally believe it should have been expanded for those conditions (minus just "upon request") to all fifty states, but hey, that's just me.
Thars extremely inconsistent.

If your daughter's bundle of cells is a real person, per your argument, then so are those who are the result of rape, incest or any other circumstance.

You are now selectively deciding which fetus is a real person and which isn't.

They either are, or are not.

I believe any pregnant woman should be able to make that choice for themselves, within a reasonable time frame, without qualifying criteria.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies