Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 12:11 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
When someone says no restrictions on abortion, I'm curious whether they really mean it. You do, a 100% pro-choicer. No restrictions post viability.
I'm for not having to make this decision at all - by educating about birth control, self respect and mindfulness, or for situations beyond that - cheap, legal and easy access to abortion services for very early pregnancy. Preventative measures that would reduce the need for it to even exist.

The more that can be done to prevent abortions post viability the better - then the only reason it would be necessary is for those tragic medical conditions which can only be evaluated by a doctor and the patient. And I don't want any loose legislative interpretations to get involved in such a gut wrenching scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 12:19 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
I know a kid who just graduated HVAC school in Tacoma WA. He was 3 months premature and while he will never have cheap car insurance he is just like any other lead footed punk out there. All in all a good guy.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:22 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I know a kid who just graduated HVAC school in Tacoma WA. He was 3 months premature and while he will never have cheap car insurance he is just like any other lead footed punk out there. All in all a good guy.
I was 6 weeks premature, in 1965. I weighed 1lb 3oz.

I still support legal and safe abortion, no questions asked.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:57 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This is exactly the situation we had before 1973.

Legal abortions were available in certain states, and many crossed state lines to get them.

However, many were unable to do that and thousands of American women died dreadful deaths every year from kitchen table abortions.

Children were left motherless. It was horrible.
Yeah, its horrible. We still live it here.
Poor kids without mothers
Dead women
Dead girls
Criminalize women

This is what this cruel SELFISH heartless people want

Old 01-28-2017, 02:00 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I was 6 weeks premature, in 1965. I weighed 1lb 3oz.

I still support legal and safe abortion, no questions asked.
Im adopted and my birth mom was poor and already had 6 other kids, she couldnt feed me or take proper care of me. If abortion were legal, ill probably wouldnt exist today.

I STILL are 100% pro choice and find the people who are not to be extremely ignorant, selfish and hypocrites

Old 01-28-2017, 05:17 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
you have a link to support a premature baby born at 6 months lives and goes on to have a healthy life?
My daughter. Do we need to post a link?

Old 01-28-2017, 05:23 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
My daughter. Do we need to post a link?
she would be a miracle baby along with any other baby born premature at 6 months. most either die or have serious health issues.

women are not stupid, we know what a pregnancy is. not many folks would argue the life she carries isn't human.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
^^I'm not quite sure why we're talking about 26 week babies, but, here is a quote from one of the links I posted just a few posts above:

Link #1: 25 to 26 weeks

Nearly 4 out of 10 had problems at age 19, including problems with hearing, sight, intellectual disability, and having a job.6 This means that more than 6 out of 10 did not have these problems."

Link #2: "However, most babies born after about 26 weeks' gestation do survive to one year (about 80 percent of those born at 26 weeks and about 90 percent of those born at 27 weeks), although they may face an extended stay in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). Unfortunately, about 25 percent of these very premature babies develop serious lasting disabilities, and up to half may have milder problems, such as learning and behavioral problems."

My daughter's friend recently had 26 week twins. One, that hadn't been growing well the whole pregnancy, did die, but the other lived and is doing well currently. He's about 6 months old now, 3 months gestational age. I am absolutely certain she thinks these babies are/were human.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:31 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,616 times
Having any discussion about babies born at 24 weeks or after is moot point. Roe V Wade determined viability to begin in the third trimester. A later ruling:

"Later, in Planned Parenthood v. Casey (1992), the Court rejected Roe's trimester framework while affirming its central holding that a woman has a right to abortion until fetal viability.[2] The Roe decision defined "viable" as "potentially able to live outside the mother's womb, albeit with artificial aid."[3] Justices in Casey acknowledged that viability may occur at 23 or 24 weeks, or sometimes even earlier, in light of medical advances.[4]"

At this point, there are a handful cases at 22 weeks where the babies go on to survive.

But why go on about this, when 95% of abortions take place during the embryonic stage?

Old 01-28-2017, 08:33 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^I'm not quite sure why we're talking about 26 week babies,
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies