Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 09:00 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,887,277 times

Advertisements

When an anti-choice person tells you to just keep your legs shut, remind them that if every woman in America kept her legs shut as often as other people want them to, men would be jumping off bridges from frustration.

When an anti-choice person tells you there is so much free birth control out there, let them know how many Planned Parenthood clinics that could have helped with free birth control have been closed because of draconian laws that have little to nothing to do with abortion.

When an anti-choice person tells you to "just use birth control", let them know that ALL birth control has a failure rate.

When an anti-choice person then tells you that abstinence is the only true birth control, ask them if they are willing to go without ever having any sex in their marriage unless they are planning for a baby.

When an anti-choice person wants a woman punished for having an abortion, ask them if men are included in that punishment or does their lack of a science education mean that every birth is a virgin birth these days.

When an anti-choice person tells you they will make an exception about abortion in the cases of rape or incest, let them know that it must be terrible for the children born of rape and incest to hear that even an anti-choice person thinks it's OK to abort them. Is it the fault of the child how it's conceived? Meantime, the anti-choice person has basically told you they really do approve of abortion, as long as it's the abortions they want women to have.

Also, don't forget to tell them this:

In 31 states a rapist can sue for visitation and custody of a child born of rape.
In ZERO states can a woman sue her rapist for child support.

When an anti-choice person tells you that you can just put your baby up for adoption, they are making a nine month pregnancy seem like a walk in the park. Tell them this:

Each year in the US, about 700 women die of pregnancy-related complications
and 52,000 experience emergencies such as acute renal failure, shock, respiratory
distress, aneurysms and heart surgery. An additional 34,000 barely avoid death.

When an anti-choice person tells you the strict laws closing Planned Parenthood clinics are for the safety of women, tell them about Texas:

The last reported death from an abortion complication in Texas was 2008. They had 1 death that year.
Total of 5 since 2002.

In 2011 in Texas 116 women died from complications arising from pregnancy.

When an anti-choice person tells you that people are waiting with open arms to adopt babies, you can respond with this:

In the U.S. 397,122 children are living without permanent families in the foster care
system. 101,666 of these children are eligible for adoption, but nearly 32% of these
children will wait over three years in foster care before being adopted."

You can also add that if any child that isn't in a permanent home by the time he or she is 18,
they age out of the foster care system, often with no one to help them or offer them support.
Many of them end up on the street, where they sell drugs or turn to prostitution to support
themselves.

If an anti-choice person tells you that people who have abortions are murderers, you can give them these facts:

Since 1973, anti-choice zealots have murdered 11 people, attempted to murder another 17,
and made 363 credible death threats. They have also been convicted of assault 153 times.
They have bombed 41 reproductive health clinics, made 619 bomb threats and 655 anthrax
attack threats, committed arson 173 times and vandalism 1,264 times, and thrown butyric
acid stink bombs at property and people, injuring 30. NOTE: these figures are publicly
available from FBI and DOJ crime statistics, not "alternative facts."

During the same time, only one anti-choice protester has been murdered.

When an anti-choice person tells you to be glad your mother didn't abort you, tell them about me. My parents didn't want children and I was born before birth control was invented. I would far rather have been an abortion than to have grown up in a household where I wasn't wanted and I was actively hated just for existing. No child should have to experience that. And believe me, he won't thank you for allowing him to be born under those circumstances.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 01-28-2017 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 09:06 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,494,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
When an anti-choice person tells you to just keep your legs shut, remind them that if every woman in America kept her legs shut as often as other people want them to, men would be jumping off bridges from frustration.

When an anti-choice person tells you there is so much free birth control out there, let them know how many Planned Parenthood clinics that could have helped with free birth control have been closed because of draconian laws that have little to nothing to do with abortion.

When an anti-choice person tells you to "just use birth control", let them know that ALL birth control has a failure rate.

When an anti-choice person then tells you that abstinence is the only true birth control, ask them if they are willing to go without ever having any sex in their marriage unless they are planning for a baby.

When an anti-choice person wants a woman punished for having an abortion, ask them if men are included in that punishment or does their lack of a science education mean that every birth is a virgin birth these days.

When an anti-choice person tells you they will make an exception about abortion in the cases of rape or incest, let them know that it must be terrible for the children born of rape and incest to hear that even an anti-choice person thinks it's OK to abort them. Is it the fault of the child how it's conceived? Meantime, the anti-choice person has basically told you they really do approve of abortion, as long as it's the abortions they want women to have.

In 31 states a rapist can sue for visitation and custody of a child born of rape.

When an anti-choice person tells you that you can just put your baby up for adoption, they are making a nine month pregnancy seem like a walk in the park. Tell them this:

and 52,000 experience emergencies such as acute renal failure, shock, respiratory

When an anti-choice person tells you the strict laws closing Planned Parenthood clinics are for the safety of women, tell them about Texas:

The last reported death from an abortion complication in Texas was 2008. They had 1 death that year.
Total of 5 since 2002.

When an anti-choice person tells you that people are waiting with open arms to adopt babies, you can respond with this:

In the U.S. 397,122 children are living without permanent families in the foster care
system. 101,666 of these children are eligible for adoption, but nearly 32% of these

You can also add that any child that isn't in a permanent home by the time he or she is 18, they age out of the foster care system, often with no one to help them or offer them support. Many of them end up on the street, where they sell drugs or turn to prostitution to support themselves.

If an anti-choice person tells you that people who have abortions are murderers, you can give them these facts:

Since 1973, anti-choice zealots have murdered 11 people, attempted to murder another 17,
and made 363 credible death threats. They have also been convicted of assault 153 times.
They have bombed 41 reproductive health clinics, made 619 bomb threats and 655 anthrax
attack threats, committed arson 173 times and vandalism 1,264 times, and thrown butyric
acid stink bombs at property and people, injuring 30. NOTE: these figures are publicly

When an anti-choice person tells you to be glad your mother didn't abort you, tell them about me. My parents didn't want children and I was born before birth control was invented. I would far rather have been an abortion than to have grown up in a household where I wasn't wanted and I was actively hated just for existing. No child should have to experience that. And believe me, they won't thank you for allowing them to be born under those circumstances.
There's always oral... That takes care of 1-5... Just saying...

Old 01-28-2017, 09:16 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I don't think a middle ground is possible. I agree with FinsterRufus and I think that one cannot truly be pro-life about only SOME circumstances. If you believe a fetus is a person, then a fetus conceived by rape is as much of a person as one not. What you're really giving that rape victim is a choice - so why then should others be denied a choice?
Here's the middle ground: Abortion stays legal, safe, and accessible. Tax dollars don't pay for it. Anti-abortion groups stop using their resources to outlaw it, and start using their resources to prevent it. They join forces with the pro-choice movement to lobby their state legislatures to make all sorts of birth control free and easily accessible. Anyone who wants one can get vouchers for BC pills or a type of LARC.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:23 PM

13,418 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Here's the middle ground: Abortion stays legal, safe, and accessible. Tax dollars don't pay for it. Anti-abortion groups stop using their resources to outlaw it, and start using their resources to prevent it. They join forces with the pro-choice movement to lobby their state legislatures to make all sorts of birth control free and easily accessible. Anyone who wants one can get vouchers for BC pills or a type of LARC.
Excellent. That's perfect.

Marlow2020.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:27 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Unless you have herpes....just sayin'.....

Old 01-28-2017, 09:31 PM

13,418 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^I'm not quite sure why we're talking about 26 week babies, but, here is a quote from one of the links I posted just a few posts above:

Link #1: 25 to 26 weeks

Nearly 4 out of 10 had problems at age 19, including problems with hearing, sight, intellectual disability, and having a job.6 This means that more than 6 out of 10 did not have these problems."

Link #2: "However, most babies born after about 26 weeks' gestation do survive to one year (about 80 percent of those born at 26 weeks and about 90 percent of those born at 27 weeks), although they may face an extended stay in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). Unfortunately, about 25 percent of these very premature babies develop serious lasting disabilities, and up to half may have milder problems, such as learning and behavioral problems."

My daughter's friend recently had 26 week twins. One, that hadn't been growing well the whole pregnancy, did die, but the other lived and is doing well currently. He's about 6 months old now, 3 months gestational age. I am absolutely certain she thinks these babies are/were human.
Yes, I do hope they were human. It would be a tad odd otherwise.

Personhood is a legal term if I'm and I'm not mistaken there's a bit of disagreement amongst different states as to when a fetus attains it, if at all. But human, yes, agreed - I should think so.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:42 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,187 times
Quote:

Total of 5 since 2002.

You can also add that if any child that isn't in a permanent home by the time he or she is 18,
they age out of the foster care system, often with no one to help them or offer them support.
Many of them end up on the street, where they sell drugs or turn to prostitution to support
themselves.

When an anti-choice person tells you to be glad your mother didn't abort you, tell them about me. My parents didn't want children and I was born before birth control was invented. I would far rather have been an abortion than to have grown up in a household where I wasn't wanted and I was actively hated just for existing. No child should have to experience that. And believe me, he won't thank you for allowing him to be born under those circumstances.
Thank you for post. And I'm heartbroken at your childhood experiences. It's point I've tried to make on this thread. It's beyond cruel to force a child into this world who is not wanted. They are so vulnerable and achingly innocent. And to force them onto women who don't want them deprives these children of what is the most import and critical relationship of their lives.

I hope you've found love and acceptance elsewhere. I really do...

Old 01-28-2017, 09:44 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
And done.

Anyone want to move on to gun control? Maybe we can wrap that up neatly, too

Old 01-28-2017, 11:07 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
As long as he is circumcised... otherwise, he's got to shower first. Just saying...

Old 01-29-2017, 06:36 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:

Yet, here you are, alive and kicking. Enjoying music, dogs, horses, books, TV, friends, while claiming that others who may face the difficult childhood you did shouldn't have the chance to outgrow those problems. I don't believe for one second you'd rather have not existed than be who you are today.

If you don't mind my saying so, from the common sense, intelligence, and passion of your post, people who've known you benefitted from you being around.

Last edited by jazzarama; 01-29-2017 at 06:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies