Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 09:40 AM
exm exm started this thread

3,723 posts, read 1,784,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
But, getting rid of H1-B workers will hurt the pocketbooks of big businesses, even if regulations are gutted like Trump wants to gut them.
That's true. In my company the IT budget is being slashed to help the big picture (shareholders), and an easy way to do this is to replace staff with H-1 consultants. Disney is the most (in)famous example but it's happening all over the place.

If Trump is running a "America First' campaign, this should be on his list also.

AFAIK, the H-1 program is supposed to be for high qualified jobs that can't be filled with American workers. It's not meant to bring in cheap high qualified labor replacing American workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 09:44 AM

34,940 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
That's true. In my company the IT budget is being slashed to help the big picture (shareholders), and an easy way to do this is to replace staff with H-1 consultants. Disney is the most (in)famous example but it's happening all over the place.

If Trump is running a "America First' campaign, this should be on his list also.

AFAIK, the H-1 program is supposed to be for high qualified jobs that can't be filled with American workers. It's not meant to bring in cheap high qualified labor replacing American workers.
Yes... it is being seriously abused and it is these jobs, not the ones doing manual labor, that will benefit American workers the most.

Also, they might want to go after those companies that offshore so much of their workforce.

I daresay more Americans would like a call center job making 15 dollars or more an hour with full benefits than would like to go pick tomatoes and do seasonal farming work.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:45 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
Soo... let me get this straight...

American workers want the jobs mowing lawns, framing houses in the heat of the summer, and cleaning houses... all for sub par wages?

Because that is what all these "illegals" get paid. There's really no way a business is going to go from paying a pittance for their services to paying "middle class" wages for these things and many of them are things that most Americans would simply begin doing for themselves if this were to come about in the first place.

Well, not framing houses, but let's be serious here... are you willing to pay that much more for a house just to get one that was built only by Americans?

Nope. Most people in the US are cheap.
Americans will find better way to build those houses if no illegals are here.

The illegals aren't cheap when you factor in all the welfare we must pay.

Quote:
I do agree that the H1-B situation needs a closer look because THOSE are the jobs that will pull people out of poverty.

Not the jobs at McDonalds. Not the jobs cleaning houses. Not the jobs mowing lawns.

Jobs with good pay and good benefits. And those jobs are going to H1-B workers, not to "illegals."

But, getting rid of H1-B workers will hurt the pocketbooks of big businesses, even if regulations are gutted like Trump wants to gut them.

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, is done here.

Building a huge wall to keep out poor people seems like folly. It'll cost so much more than the costs that could possibly be incurred by allowing some people to make it across the border.

It would be much easier to suspend H1-B for several years. No walls needed and SOOO many good jobs available.
I say investigate and imprison those abusers.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:51 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,641,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
You know, what mostly happens in the IT Field where foreigners are replacing US employees at half the price?

As a Trump supporter, I hope so.
well, sorry to tell you, but he will not . Not with a fox , not in a box.

Perhaps a token gesture, to placate those who believe they would be working in MSFT, AMAZON etc if not for the cheap H1b workers.

But the reality is those H1-B help with wage suppression and Trump knows that so he will support the tech industry in suppressing wages. Trump does not believe in high pay for workers, he sees them as tools for him to profit.

You will get no relief and may even see Trump massively expand it, while providing cover through some weak sauce oversight that pretends to increase pay for H1-b folk.

Oh and by the way the solution is simple, if the industry really needs them make H1-B visa require that they are paid 120% of existing employee wages or 150% of industry average...

that would solve the cheap bit, and ensure they hire only people they really need and cant get in the USA.

also H1-Bs should be not be allowed to work as contractors, FTEs only and not hired out for more than 20% of their working week. (ie end the low cost contractor trade)

Old 01-25-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Americans will find better way to build those houses if no illegals are here.

The illegals aren't cheap when you factor in all the welfare we must pay.

I say investigate and imprison those abusers.
Illegals don't qualify for benefits unless they have what is referred to as "anchor babies."

If two people come here illegally and get jobs as field hands, they don't get to sign up for welfare and healthcare benefits.

You have to be here legally for that. If they have kids while living here, they do get to send those kids to school and they do get money and support for those kids if they qualify.

Illegals also pay taxes, but cannot file for a refund at the end of the year. Unless they are only paid in cash, obviously.

I think the real solution is still to stamp out the ability to hire them without being charged with a crime and/or fined heavily.

No jobs, no immigrants taking jobs. Sure, some might come to live with family here, but their families would have to have jobs and be legal residents and they'd take care of the ones who came here while they tried to get permission to live and work here through proper channels.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
well, sorry to tell you, but he will not . Not with a fox , not in a box.

Perhaps a token gesture, to placate those who believe they would be working in MSFT, AMAZON etc if not for the cheap H1b workers.

But the reality is those H1-B help with wage suppression and Trump knows that so he will support the tech industry in suppressing wages. Trump does not believe in high pay for workers, he sees them as tools for him to profit.

You will get no relief and may even see Trump massively expand it, while providing cover through some weak sauce oversight that pretends to increase pay for H1-b folk.

Oh and by the way the solution is simple, if the industry really needs them make H1-B visa require that they are paid 120% of existing employee wages or 150% of industry average...

that would solve the cheap bit, and ensure they hire only people they really need and cant get in the USA.

also H1-Bs should be not be allowed to work as contractors, FTEs only and not hired out for more than 20% of their working week. (ie end the low cost contractor trade)
Agreed.

I don't think they'll do anything meaningful on this issue and I do think that H1-Bs should be paid at LEAST the same wages as Americans doing these jobs... higher wages would be preferable, because if these people are so in demand, they should be paid like they're in demand.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:02 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
Illegals don't qualify for benefits unless they have what is referred to as "anchor babies."

If two people come here illegally and get jobs as field hands, they don't get to sign up for welfare and healthcare benefits.

You have to be here legally for that. If they have kids while living here, they do get to send those kids to school and they do get money and support for those kids if they qualify.

Illegals also pay taxes, but cannot file for a refund at the end of the year. Unless they are only paid in cash, obviously.

I think the real solution is still to stamp out the ability to hire them without being charged with a crime and/or fined heavily.

No jobs, no immigrants taking jobs. Sure, some might come to live with family here, but their families would have to have jobs and be legal residents and they'd take care of the ones who came here while they tried to get permission to live and work here through proper channels.
When they get sick and show up at the ER, who's footing the bill? ER cost is the most expensive cost in a hospital.

Their illegal children, not anchor babies, can go to school without any problem. Who's footing the bill?

Old 01-25-2017, 10:20 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,581,758 times
H-1b is about mostly IT and engineering jobs. There are other visas for manual and agricultural work. J-1 student visa is comonly used to fill summer work positions, such as lifeguards. It made the news several years ago when workers at a Hershey PA distribution warehouse walked out and picketed for owed back wages.

What Americans don’t know about H-1B visas could hurt us all

I, Cringely What Americans don't know about H-1B visas could hurt us all ~ I, Cringely

Old 01-25-2017, 10:27 AM

1,184 posts, read 721,101 times
Yes this needs to stop

Old 01-25-2017, 10:51 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I am not very familiar with IT industry but are American IT graduates having hard time finding job? I am in STEM industry and I see foreigners all the time but majority of them are PhD holders from American university while majority of Americans hold Bachelors degree. The few that do hold PhD in my industry tend to move up in industry quiet fast.
LOL

I've never met an Indian I.T. worker with a Ph.D. Some have MBAs from some toss-off no-name university, but if they have a master's degree it's because they kept not getting that coveted H1B visa and wanted another way in. Getting an advanced degree from a US university, no matter how Mickey Mouse it may be, is practically a guaranteed visa once you finish.

Plus, there is plenty of evidence to suggest that some of these master's degrees come from diploma mills anyway.

You do not need a master's degree or a Ph.D. to succeed in I.T. Some of the best and brightest I.T. people I've known do not even have a bachelor's degree. Coincidentally, they're all American too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies