Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 05:28 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,572,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Just more meaningless bluster that wont change the plight of the working class of America. Working stiffs need good health care, higher minimum wage and much stronger labor rights and public safety net.

Not this drivel. All that does is to increase income and wealth inequality further, which will drive even more working stiffs into despair and hopelessness.
Sorry, this shows how uninformed you are -- May has tremendous popularity with the ordinary working class people of Britain. She even had a 71 point advantage over the Labour candidate at one point, as a conservative (although center right Tory) that is extraordinary. Apparently, like with Trump, she is reaching the people fed up with government that doesn't represent the ordinary working stiffs. Very similar to here.

Theresa May hugely popular among voters, who see her as in touch with 'ordinary people', poll finds | The Independent

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/228907...orbyns-labour/

http://uk.businessinsider.com/yougov...es-2016-9?IR=T

Dizzybint, since you are in Scotland, does May still have this popularity with ordinary people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 05:48 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Theresa May, Prime Minister of the UK, comes to USA and gives speech to Republicans. It's the first time in history that a visiting head of state addresses just one political party.

Maybe she decides to stick with the winners. i.e. No point in talking to Democrats.

In any case Republicans give Mrs. May a standing ovation. Tomorrow she meets with Trump to discuss trade and other matters.

Theresa May gets standing ovations at start of US visit
She's head of the UK government, not the head of state.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:24 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Right now, the 'popular vote' appears to be acting like children. Children don't get invited to grown-up meetings. So many of you have shown how immature and frankly 'mean' you can be. It IS possible to disagree and not send out your activists and idiots to destroy public property, and hurt other citizens. It would be a good thing if you all stopped trying to tear down the will of the people who elected Trump through perfectly legal means. It just all sounds so petty.

A grown-up would work to get a larger voice in a more civilized way - that is what most of us who supported Trump did. Till you realize that, I would doubt you will get seats at the table very often. Your technique is self-defeating but you don't even seem smart enough to realize that.

I was worried when May took her position that she was not strong enough - or committed enough to Brexit, etc. but so far so good. She now has an ally which I am sure helps. It is a tough job she and Britain face but I think the course they are taking is the best for them - and for Europe. And we can thank the people of Britain too for being so wise as to vote for Brexit against all odds. They took the lead and it helped us here.
I felt the same, the woman was virtually pushed into the postion and she wasnt into leaving the EU. but shes come on great and working for the people.. I was proud of her last night on the news...well done Theresa.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:32 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
What is more appropriate is the comparison of the leaders of the UK and USA.

Theresa May: Class, dignity, wise and statesmanship.

Donald Trump: No class, embarrassment, con man, vacuous, coarse, boorish, etc. etc.
Exactly.

She had some strong disagreements with Trump on MAJOR issues, which she brought up right away (like Iran deal, NATO and Russia).

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-27-2017 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 01-27-2017, 05:38 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
After watching the vulgar and embarrassing behavior of so many democrat women recently, I was struck by the profound contrast in PM Theresa May. I just watched her impressive speech to the Republican Congressional meeting in Philadelphia and was so relieved to see a woman of such dignity, intelligence, and good humor brilliantly leading a major country. Puts Hillary, Donna Brazile, Debbie Waserman Shultz, Nancy Pelosi, the new DNC
front-runner-crazy-racist-woman and all the limousine airhead hollywood democrat women activists to shame.....

Her speech was about the dire need to destroy ISIS, and yes she called it ISLAMIC terrorism, and all the various ways our two coumtries can work together for economic prosperity, equality, and national security. She called no one a racist, a homophobe, a xenophobe, deplorable, or an islamophobe. She doesn't feel victimized By men.
I wished she had been more supportive of BREXIT, but I agreed with everything she said -- even Nigel Farage is
Commending her speech!

I wish her luck in leading Britain, and hope she ends up one of their best leaders.
she is a politician... except for trump's brash talk- that's what they do??

Old 01-27-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Exactly.

She had some strong disagreements with Trump, which she brought up right away (like Iran deal, NATO and Russia).

Not surprisingly the new WH spelled her name incorrectly three times so far.
Dont know if that will upset her or not as she has a fun side, check out the shoes and boots..
Home Secretary Theresa May's most outrageous footwear revealed | Daily Mail Online hopefully she ll have one of her fancy pairs of shoes on today to meet Trump..

Old 01-27-2017, 06:13 AM

30,170 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
You must be kidding , she was simply pandering to the current ruling party of the USA, it goes back to WWII.
May, was under extreme pressure to build a bridge while still rebuffing Trump's threats of torture.
They are caught between a rock and a hard place, they don't want anything to do with Trump or the GOP's new approach, but they are stuck with a stupid requirement to exit the EU.

The UK government does not want to leave the EU, it is a stupid backwards step that leaves them the whipping boy of the EU.

But what is interesting , is that a British accent had you all fluffed up, all she did was "talk the talk" you want to hear and suddenly you are all excited. hilarious indeed. I must say it is no wonder Trump hooked you so easy, you are super easy to manipulate...
Who cares what the UK government wants to do, how about the majority of people who spoke very loudly? Brexit was pure democracy. The masses making a decision their so called leaders would never do. The UK has been in a economic slump for the past 13 years now. Wealth inequality has soared. These deals like the EU only benefit a few at the top yet the people are told it is good for you even if they see no evidence of that.

Soaring inequality in UK

Do you understand the proposed bilateral deal that the UK and USA are discussing? Or even a possible redesigned NAFTA including the UK. If Mexico wants to pout and stay home we can have a trade deal with two other countries that have similar economies and cut out our 3rd world sidekick. The the average UK resident makes four times what a Mexican makes. That means they have more disposable income to buy our goods. Let Mexico cut deals with Panama, Guatemala and other countries similar to Mexico. Let's see how that works out.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ee-trade-area/

The EU will be but a memory in a few years as the masses finally wake up populism and nationalism spreads. A few like this previous poster will defend the elite and use totally off topic issues like civil rights for captured terrorists.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 01-27-2017 at 06:35 AM..

Old 01-28-2017, 10:50 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
British politicians tell Theresa May to stop groveling before Trump
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5499bf88fbb1
That's how I perceived it. She is in a tight spot, and needing a good trade deal with the US is needed after Brexit takes effect.

My guess. She is the Neville Chamberlain of the 21st century. She will come back to the UK looking and sounding victorious. Then Trump, being Trump, will do what Trump always does, and she will look the fool.

A guess of course. I wish no ill against the UK. I hope things actually work out.

Last edited by Natnasci; 01-28-2017 at 11:44 AM..

Old 01-28-2017, 11:19 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,182 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Sorry, this shows how uninformed you are -- May has tremendous popularity with the ordinary working class people of Britain. She even had a 71 point advantage over the Labour candidate at one point, as a conservative (although center right Tory) that is extraordinary. Apparently, like with Trump, she is reaching the people fed up with government that doesn't represent the ordinary working stiffs. Very similar to here.

Theresa May hugely popular among voters, who see her as in touch with 'ordinary people', poll finds | The Independent

YouGov poll shows May is crushing Corbyn - Business Insider

Dizzybint, since you are in Scotland, does May still have this popularity with ordinary people?

I liked May's speech and indeed Theresa May is proving herself to be a very good and able leader in challenging times.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:

YouGov poll shows May is crushing Corbyn - Business Insider

Well shes pretty new yet..seemed a bit nervous talking at first but she seems to have found her feet well...I felt proud of here , but shes getting some reviews that she pandered too much to Trump.. Id say shes much more popular than our own wee Krankie Sturgeon whos a waste of space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies