Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 03:37 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
*republic.

In a democracy, the majority is the state. The difference is mostly meaningless, unless you're in the minority.
Yes, we are a Republic that functions via representative democracy. Your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 03:39 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Yes, we are a Republic that functions via representative democracy. Your point?
My point was what I already said. In a democracy (that cannot be described as a republic), the majority rules. In a republic, the people rule (rule in this context isn't necessarily the best word, but most easily recognizable). The point is that there is a difference. I was just pointing it out because it's important to remember that the majority opinion is not necessarily the best, a view that I feel is particularly relevant given the state of American politics.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Look at his profile...Masters in mental health and he is using circular reasoning, splitting and probably a host of other words. He is someone's go to guy when they are having problems and he's got them checking under the bed for monsters. Inconceivable!
I'm not so sure this would translate into his job. If so, he should work anywhere else, though, as noted, not as a political theorist.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:43 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,822 times
Quote:
My point was what I already said. In a democracy (that cannot be described as a republic), the majority rules. In a republic, the people rule (rule in this context isn't necessarily the best word, but most easily recognizable). The point is that there is a difference. I was just pointing it out because it's important to remember that the majority opinion is not necessarily the best, a view that I feel is particularly relevant given the state of American politics.
This is specious logic. The U.S. is a Republic, but it functions through the system of democratic representation. Clearly, then, the state of the Republic and democratic representation in fact do coexist.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:45 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
I'm not so sure this would translate into his job. If so, he should work anywhere else, though, as noted, not as a political theorist.

It's possible this is one of those times when I think something is one way and it's really not. I would think that a highly educated mental health professional would know that people are individuals and you can't just go slapping labels on a group and then projecting everything negative onto them. I've been wrong before.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:46 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Talking Liberalism's core belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
It's that the State knows best. Above any one and anything else, the State knows what's best.
And this CORE belief drives everything else. It is "the Debate" of our time.
The rabid right, pretending to know the CORE of the left.

Very amusing.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
This is specious logic. The U.S. is a Republic, but it functions through the system of democratic representation. Clearly, then, the state of the Republic and democratic representation in fact do coexist.
Well, there's a distinction between a democratic process and a democratic system of government. The process of voting is democratic, but our government is not (supposed to be) functionally a democarcy. Indeed, we choose representatives via democarcy (originally, literally only representatives; senate was chosen by state legislature and POTUS is still chosen by electors) in the form of voting. On issues, however, the majority view does not necessarily automatically win, which would be the case in a democracy.

(just as a side note, this discussion is significantly more interesting than the one the OP is apparently trying to have; it's also more relevant as it's certainly a discussion of liberal values)

Old 01-29-2017, 03:59 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
The core purpose of the Left is to destroy social bonds so that people can be ruled easier by larger states.

In the place of strong social bonds, they insert nonsense like worker's unity, civic nationalism, or anything else that gets people to stop sociopolitically unifying on the ethnic level. The only way that the Left lets you do that, unharassed, is if you are either in-charge of the Left or a weapon against another more hated group.

This is why they attack marriage, make marriage a high risk proposition through ridiculous divorce laws, promote homosexual marriage, promote feminism, promote strange gender politics, promote mass immigration, and promote anything else that attacks the family and sociopolitical unity of the majority ethnicity.

The idea is to reduce political competition and threats to the ruling class. Just as occurred when the Bolsheviks ran the Soviet Union. The Leftist establishment is nothing more nor less than these people.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:33 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
It's as superstitious as anything that ever came out of Egypt, Rome or Mesopotamia.......somehow this Great State entity is the key to all life.

Pure superstition, but its adherents swear by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies