Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2017, 01:08 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Funny how whenever a BLM nutjob says or does something crazy they try to say BLM is just a hashtag .
Hard to blame them in this case. That girl is crazy.. probably caught up in the moment.. but still, crazy...

I don't buy into this BLM is a hashtag its not a group or organization. that's a cop out to deflect when things go WRONG, as they certainly did with this latest video.

BLM is not just a saying.. Make Love, Not War.. now thats a saying.. Its not just a slogan; Better Ingredients, Better Pizza.. now that's a slogan.. Its not just a freaking hashtag... #notmypresident.. that's a hastag..

BLM is certainly more than any of those.. so please stop with the deflection.. REJECT it or OWN IT but don't pretend it doesn't reflect on the BLM Movement and black people in general.... because it DOES, IT MOST CERTAINLY DOES!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 01:42 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Hard to blame them in this case. That girl is crazy.. probably caught up in the moment.. but still, crazy...

I don't buy into this BLM is a hashtag its not a group or organization. that's a cop out to deflect when things go WRONG, as they certainly did with this latest video.

BLM is not just a saying.. Make Love, Not War.. now thats a saying.. Its not just a slogan; Better Ingredients, Better Pizza.. now that's a slogan.. Its not just a freaking hashtag... #notmypresident.. that's a hastag..

BLM is certainly more than any of those.. so please stop with the deflection.. REJECT it or OWN IT but don't pretend it doesn't reflect on the BLM Movement and black people in general.... because it DOES, IT MOST CERTAINLY DOES!
Honestly, I don't understand how you all view BLM as anything other than a hashtag used by other groups to call people to action.

People are using #notmypresident and #resist and #resistance to march and protest and have destroyed things with signs and shirts with this message on their body. Yet you are all not claiming they are a part of the "Not My President" movement/organization or the "Resist/Resistance" movement/organization. There have also been anarchist with black on and the white "A" with a circle yet I don't hear much mentioned about this anarchist group and many times when I see them on TV people refer to them as BLM lol.

All I'm getting at is that you all are buying into propaganda and are willingly believing it. A hashtag is not a movement. People who are not actually organized with any structure or with any goals or known leaders are not an organization.

I believe more of you believe that BLM is a "group" mostly because it has "black" in it and there is a habit in America of lumping all black people together in one big package and then making the "black" group a focus of media.

Honestly, I do wish BLM was a "group." But they are not. Interesting, but I reviewed the BLM website posted earlier. I live in NW Ohio - Toledo area. Per this link we have people who protest using signs that say Black Lives Matter. The local media even referenced these protestors as "Black Lives Matter" in the link. Yet, the group these people are in is not a part of BLM at all and they are not called BLM.

That is what I'm getting at. Media tells lots of half truths. Just because people have a sign that says Black Lives Matter doesn't mean they are a part of a group with the same name. Black people across the country have a lot of local community action groups that are not well known and if they are out protesting and have signs people will automatically label it a BLM protest and not even ask them what group they are with.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:43 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:46 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Per the BLM website, "It is a tactic to (re)build the Black Liberation Movement".

Old 01-31-2017, 01:48 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.
Unless you actually look at it with your own eyes and find out it is a canary in a duck costume...

Old 01-31-2017, 01:50 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Honestly, I don't understand how you all view BLM as anything other than a hashtag used by other groups to call people to action.

People are using #notmypresident and #resist and #resistance to march and protest and have destroyed things with signs and shirts with this message on their body. Yet you are all not claiming they are a part of the "Not My President" movement/organization or the "Resist/Resistance" movement/organization. There have also been anarchist with black on and the white "A" with a circle yet I don't hear much mentioned about this anarchist group and many times when I see them on TV people refer to them as BLM lol.

All I'm getting at is that you all are buying into propaganda and are willingly believing it. A hashtag is not a movement. People who are not actually organized with any structure or with any goals or known leaders are not an organization.

I believe more of you believe that BLM is a "group" mostly because it has "black" in it and there is a habit in America of lumping all black people together in one big package and then making the "black" group a focus of media.

Honestly, I do wish BLM was a "group." But they are not. Interesting, but I reviewed the BLM website posted earlier. I live in NW Ohio - Toledo area. Per this link we have people who protest using signs that say Black Lives Matter. The local media even referenced these protestors as "Black Lives Matter" in the link. Yet, the group these people are in is not a part of BLM at all and they are not called BLM.

That is what I'm getting at. Media tells lots of half truths. Just because people have a sign that says Black Lives Matter doesn't mean they are a part of a group with the same name. Black people across the country have a lot of local community action groups that are not well known and if they are out protesting and have signs people will automatically label it a BLM protest and not even ask them what group they are with.
BLM has founders . BLM has an agenda . They have meetings etc .
They have a website etc .

They are obviously not just a hashtag .
Nobody is buying that .

Old 01-31-2017, 01:50 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Unless you actually look at it with your own eyes and find out it is a canary in a duck costume...
The one in the video more resembles a vulture in a duck costume.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:54 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,950 times
Quote:

In the case of BLM, their is a group and then there's the hashtag individuals like the lady in the video. Part of the problem is, like you said, people want to be ignorant to the fact that the actual BLM group isn't putting out these radical ideas aside from a tweet somebody posted in here that was clearly sarcastic. People are using "BLM" as code for just black people and they think they are slick. The same people will quickly point to one of the many white males that kills cops and says "lone wolf" even though said white male will have all kinds of Confederate flags, Trump Stickers, right-wing iconography displayed all over the place....but "nope, he's a lone wolf with mental issues"...but with BLM its a big conspiracy.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:55 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I'm less optimistic. The underlying problem isn't Trump, or Hillary, or illegals, or Muslims. The underlying problem is that there are segments of the US population that have values and worldviews that are not just incompatible, but outright antagonistic and hostile to one another.

These aren't differences that can be bridged or papered over.
They have existed from day one of this nation. They will continue to exist. That is why the founders said we must be vigilant in the protection of liberty, that we must be a moral and virtuous society or the republic will fall. Freedom and liberty come with a price of protection that will be accosted daily by those who would abuse it. The constant defense against such forces is the price we pay to retain such liberty.

Old 01-31-2017, 01:55 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
The one in the video more resembles a vulture in a duck costume.
I would say Rodan in a duck costume.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies