Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2017, 06:06 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,884,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
http://blacklivesmatter.com/about/

And since you might not have gotten it the first three times, the name is literally the symbol for the groups movement.

LOL, so the name of an organization is it's "symbol..."

You gave the definition below:

Quote:
One of the definitions Merriam Webster provides is: "a letter, group of letters, character, or picture that is used instead of a word or group of words"
Please pay particular attention to your own definition in regards to the red. The name of a group is not a "symbol."

If it is your contention that "Black Lives Matter" is a group it makes no sense, according to you, that the name of said group could be a symbol of the group.

Also you picture of a sign is pretty but every group I've seen out protesting that is labeled as Black Lives Matter, don't all carry a sign with that looks like the picture you posted. They have home made signs and t-shirts. Real organizations have a thing called "brand management" whereas they control their image and their symbols.

Just for you information, see below for symbols of actual "black" organizations:

National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) symbol

The original Black Panther Party

The "New" Black Panther Party

Pan African Flag (a symbol of black nationalism and pan Africanism)

Black Power fist (associated with Black Power Movement - please note that many times this symbol is changed to include the words "Black Lives Matter" when it is, those individuals are usually associated with a Black Power group or black nationalist group)

National Urban League (this symbol is many times next to the name of the organization)

National Association of Colored Women's Clubs (this is one of the oldest social activist organizations in black America)

I could go on and on.

All of the above are "symbols" according to your own definition. A symbol, according to your own definition is something that is associated with a group that is NOT the name of the organization.

Again, #BlackLivesMatter is not a organization or group. They have no national leaders. They have no structure. They have no brand management or symbols associated with them. They are just a bunch of people who use a hashtag and go out and protest and you and others will associate them and their behavior as something that is reflective of black Americans as a whole it seems. A majority of the groups who make homemade signs and use the hashtag are fringe groups that do not represent the mainstream views of blacks in this country. A large amount of these protestors are white liberals who have organizations dedicated to environmentalism, "peace," and LGBTQ issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 06:33 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,728,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I'm less optimistic. The underlying problem isn't Trump, or Hillary, or illegals, or Muslims. The underlying problem is that there are segments of the US pop"ulation that have values and worldviews that are not just incompatible, but outright antagonistic and hostile to one another.

These aren't differences that can be bridged or papered over.
And it will only take a few white people being killed like those cops were, to make a large percentage of white people as trigger happy as some cops have been.

When there were protests of people saying they were with BLM and chanting, "Pigs in a blanket, fry em' like bacon", nobody from BLM denounced it. In fact, I don't recall black posters on c-d saying a word.

Then there were the riots in Milwaukee with white people dragged from their cars and beaten, and the reaction here was 'they're just frustrated'.

And now we see the same venom spewed directed toward white people, and black posters are giddy with LOL's about how funny it is.

I've had more than one person tell me within the past two months that they've started discriminating in hiring people. And I've been around long enough to know that if three people openly admitted that, there must be more doing it without admitting it.

This mess started with Obama, and racists are simply using any excuse to ramp it up.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:36 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,618,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL, so the name of an organization is it's "symbol..."

You gave the definition below:

Please pay particular attention to your own definition in regards to the red. The name of a group is not a "symbol."

If it is your contention that "Black Lives Matter" is a group it makes no sense, according to you, that the name of said group could be a symbol of the group.

Also you picture of a sign is pretty but every group I've seen out protesting that is labeled as Black Lives Matter, don't all carry a sign with that looks like the picture you posted. They have home made signs and t-shirts. Real organizations have a thing called "brand management" whereas they control their image and their symbols.

Just for you information, see below for symbols of actual "black" organizations:

National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) symbol

The original Black Panther Party

The "New" Black Panther Party

Pan African Flag (a symbol of black nationalism and pan Africanism)

Black Power fist (associated with Black Power Movement - please note that many times this symbol is changed to include the words "Black Lives Matter" when it is, those individuals are usually associated with a Black Power group or black nationalist group)

National Urban League (this symbol is many times next to the name of the organization)

National Association of Colored Women's Clubs (this is one of the oldest social activist organizations in black America)

I could go on and on.

All of the above are "symbols" according to your own definition. A symbol, according to your own definition is something that is associated with a group that is NOT the name of the organization.

Again, #BlackLivesMatter is not a organization or group. They have no national leaders. They have no structure. They have no brand management or symbols associated with them. They are just a bunch of people who use a hashtag and go out and protest and you and others will associate them and their behavior as something that is reflective of black Americans as a whole it seems. A majority of the groups who make homemade signs and use the hashtag are fringe groups that do not represent the mainstream views of blacks in this country. A large amount of these protestors are white liberals who have organizations dedicated to environmentalism, "peace," and LGBTQ issues.
http://blacklivesmatter.com
"Black Lives Matter is a chapter-based national organization working for the validity of Black life. We are working to (re)build the Black liberation movement.
This is Not a Moment, but a Movement."

https://symsys.stanford.edu/viewing/htmldocument/26029
"Black Lives Matter continued to be a major force in U.S. politics in 2015. A Notable Symbol selection in 2014 as well, the hashtag #BlackLivesMatter, for which the movement was named, had emerged in 2013 after a "not guilty" verdict in the death of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin. Both the symbol and movement showed their enduring power in 2015."

https://www.fastcodesign.com/3062127...tter-the-brand
" since Black Lives Matter is a movement and not a brand, there's no obvious way to control how its symbols are used, or by whom. The Black Lives Matter logo and hashtag have been appropriated by outside interests"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Lives_Matter
" a broader movement involving several other organizations and activists emerged under the banner of "Black Lives Matter" as well.["

https://www.standingonthesideoflove....matter-banner/
"“To display the sign, Black Lives Matter, is an act of cultural resistance, of public witness. This action is a symbol of something larger, "

Banners Show Nationwide UU Support for Black Lives Matter Movement | UUA.org
"BANNERS SHOW NATIONWIDE UU SUPPORT FOR BLACK LIVES MATTER MOVEMENT"

You definitely went on and on, well beyond any actual point, which you didn't make.
I'm not even sure grade school level reasoning is necessary to figure this out.
You are willfully ignorant and any effort spent on mending your biased inaccuracies is wasted.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:40 PM

3,537 posts, read 1,336,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
And it will only take a few white people being killed like those cops were, to make a large percentage of white people as trigger happy as some cops have been.

When there were protests of people saying they were with BLM and chanting, "Pigs in a blanket, fry em' like bacon", nobody from BLM denounced it. In fact, I don't recall black posters on c-d saying a word.

Then there were the riots in Milwaukee with white people dragged from their cars and beaten, and the reaction here was 'they're just frustrated'.

And now we see the same venom spewed directed toward white people, and black posters are giddy with LOL's about how funny it is.

I've had more than one person tell me within the past two months that they've started discriminating in hiring people. And I've been around long enough to know that if three people openly admitted that, there must be more doing it without admitting it.

This mess started with Obama, and racists are simply using any excuse to ramp it up.
stay scared and believe everything you see on tv, pal. And the best part of this is the very first sentence where you prove a huge point unintentionally. You talk about white people being "killed like those cops were" and "make a large percentage of white people trigger happy"...when most cops are killed by white males. Most whites are killed by other whites, yet here you are convinced that BLM is the scary element. And as I've stated before, the actual members of BLM aren't pushing "death to police" or "death to whites" rhetoric...you and other people want so badly to lump random people into "BLM" because it helps deflect away from your own problems as white people.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:47 PM

21,554 posts, read 10,681,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilAries View Post
She's a preschool teacher! LMAO. Wouldn't be surprised if someone finds out where she works and reports her to the administration.
That teacher needs to be fired. Who would want this woman taking care of their kids?

Old 01-31-2017, 07:50 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,884,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
http://blacklivesmatter.com
"Black Lives Matter is a chapter-based national organization working for the validity of Black life. We are working to (re)build the Black liberation movement.
This is Not a Moment, but a Movement."

https://symsys.stanford.edu/viewing/htmldocument/26029
"Black Lives Matter continued to be a major force in U.S. politics in 2015. A Notable Symbol selection in 2014 as well, the hashtag #BlackLivesMatter, for which the movement was named, had emerged in 2013 after a "not guilty" verdict in the death of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin. Both the symbol and movement showed their enduring power in 2015."

https://www.fastcodesign.com/3062127...tter-the-brand
" since Black Lives Matter is a movement and not a brand, there's no obvious way to control how its symbols are used, or by whom. The Black Lives Matter logo and hashtag have been appropriated by outside interests"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Lives_Matter
" a broader movement involving several other organizations and activists emerged under the banner of "Black Lives Matter" as well.["

https://www.standingonthesideoflove....matter-banner/
"“To display the sign, Black Lives Matter, is an act of cultural resistance, of public witness. This action is a symbol of something larger, "

Banners Show Nationwide UU Support for Black Lives Matter Movement | UUA.org
"BANNERS SHOW NATIONWIDE UU SUPPORT FOR BLACK LIVES MATTER MOVEMENT"

You definitely went on and on, well beyond any actual point, which you didn't make.
I'm not even sure grade school level reasoning is necessary to figure this out.
You are willfully ignorant and any effort spent on mending your biased inaccuracies is wasted.
Who are their national leaders Jimbo?

How are they structured? Other than the first link, none of the others are relevant. On their website, which I already quoted, it said in their "about" section that they are a "unique contribution."

I think I cannot get this through your head that just because something is on a website doesn't mean that it is true.

Also if you want to believe they are a "national organization" (with no leadership structure, no leaders, no symbols of their organization, etc.) you are fine by me to do so.

You are the one with your "biased inaccuracies." I know people who are involved in black lead, officially structured community activist groups and stalwart civil rights organizations. I have much more of an in-depth knowledge about this sort of thing that you do. I actually am being very informative and hopefully showing you that the depictions you see on TV are not reflective of all black people and that black people involved in social activism are not all a part of BLM. A large amount of the protestors who go out under the hashtag are whit led, ultra-liberal organizations, not black organizations. You can choose if you want to continue to believe that all black activists are BLM and that anyone with a t-shirt on or a jacket that says BLM is actually a part of a real organization, but I know for a fact that that is not correct.

Hopefully others won't be as stubborn and can realize that, like you all say all the time, media is deceptive and that things on TV are not always what they seem to be.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:54 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,988,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

That's interesting about the hiring discrimination. Not surprising but interesting.

The people who engage in BLM riots or trump riots or vulgar protests think that their actions are going to bring people to their side. Some of them point to the Civil Rights movement as evidence. The problem with that example is that in the 1960s, it was the police behaving violently against innocent people. What we have today are unemployable professional agitators stirring up trouble for reasons that aren't clear to most people. They destroy private property for no reason other than to destroy or loot.

The media covers these things to make it seem like BLM and the pussyhat women are displaying traditional American values. But I believe that the average person in even a moderate state sees those images and is completely turned off and disgusted. It might never get reported, but it shows up in situations such as hiring. In short, this stuff doesn't do what it is intended to do.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:54 PM

21,554 posts, read 10,681,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Who is this person? Has the actual BLM organization claimed this person? Some random person on a bull horn claiming to be with a group isn't worthy of news.
Please! She's the rule, not the exception. Most of what I've seen of the Black Lives Matter group is a couple of people saying something reasonable, and the rest calling for killing of police, releasing all black people from prison because it's modern day slavery, killing white people, and burning stuff down (actually burning multiple businesses in different cities, not just chanting). That organization is a hate group. If it's not listed as one by the SPLC, then that tells you all you need to know about the bias of the SPLC.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:59 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,618,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Who are their national leaders Jimbo?

How are they structured? Other than the first link, none of the others are relevant. On their website, which I already quoted, it said in their "about" section that they are a "unique contribution."

I think I cannot get this through your head that just because something is on a website doesn't mean that it is true.

Also if you want to believe they are a "national organization" (with no leadership structure, no leaders, no symbols of their organization, etc.) you are fine by me to do so.

You are the one with your "biased inaccuracies." I know people who are involved in black lead, officially structured community activist groups and stalwart civil rights organizations. I have much more of an in-depth knowledge about this sort of thing that you do. I actually am being very informative and hopefully showing you that the depictions you see on TV are not reflective of all black people and that black people involved in social activism are not all a part of BLM. A large amount of the protestors who go out under the hashtag are whit led, ultra-liberal organizations, not black organizations. You can choose if you want to continue to believe that all black activists are BLM and that anyone with a t-shirt on or a jacket that says BLM is actually a part of a real organization, but I know for a fact that that is not correct.

Hopefully others won't be as stubborn and can realize that, like you all say all the time, media is deceptive and that things on TV are not always what they seem to be.
Do you perhaps, have diagnosed ADHD? You don't seem to be following the conversation.
You don't even have a clue who you are arguing what, with. I never said anything about a structured national organization. None of your accusations apply to me.
Maybe if you can focus and stop rambling we can get to the source of your disagreement.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:02 PM

22,703 posts, read 24,775,278 times
And the White liberals in Seattle LOVE this kind of "justice"!

If there was another Zebra-Killings, White liberals would be lining-up to make excuses and justifications for those "events".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies