Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 09:30 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,953,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Trump meddling in private industry. Great, more croney bs capitalism.
Let the free markets functions.

Signed,
Capitalists of the world
Big Pharma meddling in government through bribery of elected officials. Let the government function without being corrupted by private interests.

Signed, citizens of the United States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 10:06 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Your terminology means your post is uncredible.

I am not a Democrat....but the adjective term of that is Democratic. Not Democrat. Just as a legislator who is Republican, is a Republican legislator, not a Republic legislator.

Until the alt-right learns to respect others, they will never be considered legitimate members of a "democratic" society. It's juvenile to insist on twisting the legitimate name of the other major party.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:25 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Yes indeed. We are the fattest humans in the developed world. 75% of adults are overweight/ obese. 35% of children are overweight/ obese. The US people are more vulnerable to Diabetes / and the serious complications, Heart Disease, Stroke, Joint Deterioration and some Cancers because of weight.

It should come as no surprise to anyone the fattest people in the world have the highest healthcare costs in the world. Rather than take responsibility for ourselves it's easier to blame government, insurers, healthcare providers and so on.

If I recall, the former FLOTUS was condemned to hell and back for championing childhood nutrition and exercise. How dare a FLOTUS encourage the country to eat better and get off their butts

I am very fortunate in that I do not take any medications. I do not have first hand experience with prices.
I do appreciate that this is not the case for many people who have medical conditions that have nothing to do with weight.
What a crock. No one had a problem with FLOTUS encouraging kids to exercise.

But she was absolutely condemned for dragging her family to a Church that was virulently Anti-American & racist....and she was also condemned for making the comment (in one of her first television interviews) that she never (ever) had any pride in her country....until her husband became president.

There are many of us that never forgot this.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:27 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
I hope this is just Trump babbling for the sake of babbling, but who knows. The drug industry is definitely not one that needs less regulations. And, given their massive profits and price gouging, I fail too see why pharmaceutical companies need tax breaks.

For what it's worth, the FDA already does have a fast-track approval process.
Less regulations is a big subject. There are medicines that other parts of the world can get that we can not. Be it cronysism, dragging our feet, making it too expensive to bring to market, I don't know what all but there are certain regulations we need to look at.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:49 PM

730 posts, read 769,670 times
Big Pharma is a giant issue for our family. I don't know what the solution is. But when you have 2 special needs kids with medicinal issues, it is a huge deal and hits directly when medicines are unavailable, when generics differ from name brands, and hits in the pocketbook even with pretty good insurance.
One child can only take a name brand antiseizure drug because the generics have a known 30% failure rate. Neurologists will admit this. So you can gamble and pay the $10/month for generic and hope to God your kid doesn't have a break through seizure that can either kill him or land him in the ICU with further brain damage or you can cough up the $100/mo on a formula that does work. Now some generics are great for certain conditions and our son even takes some generics for his non seizure medical issues where there is no known discrepancy.
Other kiddo is our cancer survivor. The market for pediatric cancer drugs is so small, it's not really profitable for a company to manufacture them, thus shortages occur. When our daughter was going through treatment she luckily got the medicines she needed on schedule but some kids in other parts of the country missed a dose or more and this directly impacts survival rates. One time we dropped a pill on the floor and couldn't give it to her (immune compromised) and we had to get a replacement... that one pill cost $40 with our insurance. ONE PILL!
I don't know what the answer is here but folks that are reliant on medications in order to live are at the mercy of a very flawed system.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:27 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Agree and disagree. Yes, Medicare should be able to negotiate prices. I never understood the logic of not allowing it to do so.
No, government should not regulate drug prices. Drug prices should be determined by the market, just like any other commodity. Allowing Medicare to negotiate is not regulation, in fact it's the opposite.
The logic behind it was Phil Graham, a Republican, getting on the floor of the Senate saying that "the government, with it's purchasing, shouldn't "dictate" the prices of prescription drugs. So, we let big pharma "dictate" to us. Isn't it wonderful?

Nobody said a word about Graham's wife working for Merck. That was the logic. When you buy a lot of whatever, you can get a pretty good price. Phil Graham didn't want the government to negotiate the price of medications because he was protecting his wife's employer. I wonder how much money he got as a kick back.

In other words, Walmart can buy in bulk and pay less, but the government cannot do the same. Then they talk about running the government like a business.

The logic to something that doesn't make sense is always that somebody is lining his pockets.

And ignorant fools keep voting for leeches like him.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:39 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Less regulations is a big subject. There are medicines that other parts of the world can get that we can not. Be it cronysism, dragging our feet, making it too expensive to bring to market, I don't know what all but there are certain regulations we need to look at.
We're talking about meds that already exist too.

Regulations my foot. They are fleecing the public.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:41 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
The logic behind it was Phil Graham, a Republican, getting on the floor of the Senate saying that "the government, with it's purchasing, shouldn't "dictate" the prices of prescription drugs. So, we let big pharma "dictate" to us. Isn't it wonderful?

Nobody said a word about Graham's wife working for Merck. That was the logic. When you buy a lot of whatever, you can get a pretty good price. Phil Graham didn't want the government to negotiate the price of medications because he was protecting his wife's employer. I wonder how much money he got as a kick back.

In other words, Walmart can buy in bulk and pay less, but the government cannot do the same. Then they talk about running the government like a business.

The logic to something that doesn't make sense is always that somebody is lining his pockets.

Graham would deserve all the scorn you have for him BUT that very reason is also why Obamacare did NOTHING about costs. Nobody wanted to not get pharmaceutical $$$$$$$!!

Old 02-01-2017, 03:14 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post

Bolded for emphasis.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:17 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Really?

I must have missed the new discoveries.

What's the proper nutrition to deal with and alleviate Alzheimer's?

Parkinson's?

Pancreatic Cancer?

Etc., etc., etc. .................................................. ................
Perhaps you should read the book by Dr Mary Newport. Through diet she's able to slow down her husband's decline in Alzheimer's. Drugs were not helpful to her husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies