Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 01:16 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The Big Pharm government protected monopoly keeps costs extremely high. The free market takes care of that. We need competition on the govt legal substance market.
Big Pharma is already facing stiff competition.

https://www.fool.com/investing/gener...ig-pharma.aspx

So many people do not understand the pharmaceutical industry:

The Pharmaceutical Industry and the Future of Drug Development - (RSC Publishing) DOI:10.1039/9781782622345-00001

Quote:
The pharmaceutical industry has a number of unusual characteristics, both in its structure and in the nature of its business operations, which are little known outside the industry but which materially affect the process of bringing new pharmaceuticals to the patient. The development of a new pharmaceutical is very time consuming, extremely costly and high risk, with very little chance of a successful outcome. The process of research and development is described, together with all its challenges, including environmental ones. The commercial realities and constraints of the business, together with its current problems, are discussed, followed by an exploration of some of the likely future commercial and technical developments in the business, including the development of a greener pharmacy.
http://www.nber.org/reporter/fall06/danzon.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 01:17 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Nothing will happen unless big pharma is forced to by law. Words don't mean jack, laws do
And all of congress is in the pockets of big pharma. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:13 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053
So many people do not understand the pharmaceutical industry
No they dont. That its mostly a scam these days to keep the $$$$$$$$$ coming in!!

Old 02-12-2017, 02:23 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
No they dont. That its mostly a scam these days to keep the $$$$$$$$$ coming in!!
You said it dude.

An old steroid treatment, long available outside the United States, received approval this week for a rare disease that afflicts about 15,000 Americans. Though not previously approved in the United States, the drug, deflazacort, has for years been available to patients suffering from the devastating and fatal disease Duchenne muscular dystrophy; families can import it from abroad for about $1,200 per year on average.

After rebates and discounts, the net price will be $54,000 a year, said Marathon Pharmaceuticals Chief Financial Officer Babar Ghias in an interview.

The company sought approval for deflazacort as an “orphan drug,” a special approval pathway intended to encourage the development of drugs for very rare diseases. With orphan designation, the company gets seven years of exclusive rights to sell the drug in the U.S., even though it has long been available as a generic in other countries.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.96a32f5ffa85

Old 02-12-2017, 06:50 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,961,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Trump meddling in private industry. Great, more croney bs capitalism.
Let the free markets functions.

Signed,
Capitalists of the world

Lobbyists need to be thrown out DC then

https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/to...=a&indexType=i

Top Lobbying Industries

Pharmaceuticals/Health Products $3,146,090,212
Insurance $2,190,651,832

Electric Utilities $2,013,127,133
Electronics Mfg & Equip $1,823,347,451
Business Associations $1,811,811,643
Oil & Gas $1,715,405,541
Misc Manufacturing & Distributing $1,416,425,661
Education $1,399,862,870
Hospitals/Nursing Homes $1,310,021,801
Telecom Services $1,271,840,866
Securities & Investment $1,264,774,284
Civil Servants/Public Officials $1,216,181,432
Real Estate $1,215,135,758
Health Professionals $1,189,983,794
Air Transport $1,125,384,003
Misc Issues $929,225,311

Old 02-12-2017, 06:57 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You said it dude.

An old steroid treatment, long available outside the United States, received approval this week for a rare disease that afflicts about 15,000 Americans. Though not previously approved in the United States, the drug, deflazacort, has for years been available to patients suffering from the devastating and fatal disease Duchenne muscular dystrophy; families can import it from abroad for about $1,200 per year on average.

After rebates and discounts, the net price will be $54,000 a year, said Marathon Pharmaceuticals Chief Financial Officer Babar Ghias in an interview.

The company sought approval for deflazacort as an “orphan drug,†a special approval pathway intended to encourage the development of drugs for very rare diseases. With orphan designation, the company gets seven years of exclusive rights to sell the drug in the U.S., even though it has long been available as a generic in other countries.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.96a32f5ffa85
Here is an idea for the drug cartels. Get into legal drugs. Smuggle this into the US. Sell it on the black market for $10,000. If you are caught there likely wouldn't be a jury anywhere that would convict you.

I wouldn't.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:20 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Break up big pharma! If AT&T and the Airlines needed to be broken up so does big pharma!

Old 02-12-2017, 07:24 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Is "fast track" part of his deregulation agenda?

Dangerous medicine hitting the shelves and horrendous consequences for the American people who are gullible enough to believe that the medicine they buy is safe because regulation is evil?
I was wondering that myself. Deregulating everything is not a good idea. Regulations are in place for a reason. Sure, there are areas in which regulations can be relaxed or even eliminated. But we're talking about medications made up of many elements combined in a certain manner to have whatever desired effect on the human body. The FDA has specific standards and a long timeline for the release of drugs for a reason, namely, not killing or permanently maiming patients.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:29 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Agree and disagree. Yes, Medicare should be able to negotiate prices. I never understood the logic of not allowing it to do so.
No, government should not regulate drug prices. Drug prices should be determined by the market, just like any other commodity. Allowing Medicare to negotiate is not regulation, in fact it's the opposite.
If the EpiPen debacle where it was not a supply issue of the drug just simply a perceived demand issue didn't change your mind, nothing will. I once was given a prescription for a $90 medication for a week. Most people can't pay that period. Drug prices are outrageous. And we wonder why people use Mexico or Canada for drugs. Why, because of far cheaper prices, even for the same stuff.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:31 AM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I agree that prescription drug pricing needs reform, who doesn't?

Having said that, given the disastrous roll out of the 7 country immigrant ban, and Trump's desire to rush through cutting regulations, and dangling fast approval as an incentive, I worry that we'll have another Thalidimyde, or worse, problem our hands.

Fast and thorough approval I can get behind. But I don't think we should trust the pharmaceuticals to police themselves when it comes to rolling out drugs with big profit but serious damage potential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I support Trump dealing with the drug companies. I hope he does the right thing but we will see. What I do not support is fast track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Fast tracking medication approval - sounds like a recipe for continuous recalls of medications because they are found to actually be horribly dangerous after they've been released... oh, well, just so long as it doesn't happen to "me" it will be fine. Just read the side effects lists as they get longer and longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
In this case, it's another glib talking point, with no real meaning.

And that's not necessarily a bad thing. If the FDA is concerned about a drug, they shouldn't approve it just because another country did. And there are medicines/procedures available in the U.S. that aren't available in other countries.
I don't know what problem you are addressing. If anything, cronyism has helped get drugs through the approval process. Drugs are expensive to develop; R&D being expensive is a fact of life, but it has nothing to do with regulations. And given what we're talking about - powerful medications with potentially harmful side effects (including death), I wouldn't want the trial/approval process weakened.
The fast track process already exists. It does not weaken the requirements for testing of new drugs; it expedites the approval process after the data is submitted to the FDA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_track_(FDA)

Many side effects do not show up until after approval and marketing because they are rare enough that it is impossible to do studies with a large enough number of participants to pick them up. That would be prohibitively expensive and the price of the drug would be even higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies