Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2017, 04:33 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
You so funny.

Actually, no, I'm in a state of smiling and shaking my head at the many immature/unhinged "protests"/reactions of the precious snowflakes in meltdown mode. On one level it's very humorous to watch but on the other, it's rather sad. I can actually understand some of it from the point of those who were brought up by helicopter parents/have trouble realizing they aren't the center of the universe/their are crazy things like rules of law that apply in a civil soceity but some of the psycho acting adults I've seen in the "woman's march" were downright frighting. Even my open minded wife had more than a few "VVTF!" moments/watching the meltdown over exactly who knows what ???? She told me she was embarrassed being a woman looking at the carrying on that went down by more than a few people in that "protest" and the hollywood set examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
All those nasty, mean-spirited liberals "love this country"? Seriously? Well...they sure have a funny way of showing it.

How is wanted the following to continue equate to loving this country?

Wanting to amnesty the untold millions of illegals who are here. Never mind that many of those illegals are hardened criminals.

Wanting our borders to be unsecured. Never mind that not everybody sneaking in is just coming here to steal a job. Some are coming to harm us.

Having no problem with the current system where politicians on both sides of the aisle are beholden to their mega-rich donors, and thus put said donors ahead of their constituents. In fact, liberals want this rotten, corrupt system to continue and feel threatened by the fact that, if all goes well, it will come to an end.

Wanting millions of refugees from the ME coming here. Never mind that Syrian refugees can't be properly vetted. When the Syrian government fell, passport offices got broken into and now there are untold numbers of fake passports out there that look genuine. Europe quickly discovered this.

There's more, of course, but listing it all would make the post too long.

So...tell us how wanting all of the above^^^^equates to loving this country?
Spot on!

Who would have thought so many of the snowflakes are anarchists? They've become so unhinged/unstable/hysterical at the thought they might have to follow the rule of law. Like a spoiled child who whines, they jump to non-sequitur "arguments", distort the reality of things to get people to see their way. It's truly stunning/sad to watch how silly it all looks with the cry's of "anti immigrant!" and "nazi!" and "racist". The clueless/arrogant/entitled/whiny herd of people that exist out there when someone is putting the foot down to follow the rule of law is truly mind boggling. The good news? The squeaky wheel of these types of "protestors", fueled by the agenda of many in the media gets the oil, but the more they carry on like this, their types will never obtain power in any form for a long, long time if they keep up their nonsense. I don't think they are bright enough to figure out if one wants to protest/speak out against something, great, but at least get into reality/get the facts straight....it makes the other side much more sympathetic and open to listen to that side than just the screaming/whining/perpetuating lies/hysteria/ misrepresentation of reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The current moment somehow needs to be put in perspective, along with some history.

What degree of unrest exists now compared to other times of unrest in our country or specific incidents (the Vietnam War era, Civil Rights sit ins, the Watts riots, earlier times that these examples, etc.)?

Is it really worse? Not as bad? Worse in some ways, better in other ways?

If someone who has been around a long time and has some cool headed perspective to share, I think that would be a much more productive discussion than the finger pointing and name calling (those crazy liberals, right wing nuts, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah) that is tiresome and is duplicated on so many forum threads and in real life.

Anyone?
Though I haven't been around with the vietman war, civil rights, 60's etc., I don't think you need someone who "Was around" during that time to get a good perspective of it all. All you need to do is look at history to get a perspective of it all. And based on my knowledge of history, while division has been creeping up for a while now and I think it's gotten far worse under obama, it's no where near the level of ugliness that has existed in other periods of history from the 60's in our nation and of course going back to the civil war in the US. It's all relative also. While there's lots of disagreement on many topics in our nation, this period looks mellow compared to many other periods of history throughout the world/our nation.....not even close to the ugliness that has happened in other societies. What is deemed "poor" today would have been seen as well off in other period of history. Try the depression in the early 30's to see what poor really looks like. You're in quite a soft mattress period of history here in my view looking past on various periods in history and here and around the world. But history teaches us nothing lasts forever/everything goes in cycles and no state of society lasts forever.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:58 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
The current moment somehow needs to be put in perspective, along with some history.

What degree of unrest exists now compared to other times of unrest in our country or specific incidents (the Vietnam War era, Civil Rights sit ins, the Watts riots, earlier times that these examples, etc.)?

If someone who has been around a long time and has some cool headed perspective to share, I think that would be a much more productive discussion than the finger pointing and name calling (those crazy liberals, right wing nuts, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah) that is tiresome and is duplicated on so many forum threads and in real life.

Anyone?
Trump campaigned using words like "the worst time in America" so he is partly to blame for all the uproar. He has yet to make an effort to unite all Americans. I mean, even after he won the election, he held rallies for his base to denounce the media and his opponents, as if he were continuing his campaign. Then his inaugural speech was very dark and politically divisive, and his continual obsession with crowd numbers and voter fraud became annoying and distracting. He also spends way too much time vilifying the media, Hollywood and everyone who disagrees with him, which only divides our country even further.

Yes, I remember the 60s well and all the protests. I also remember the assassinations of JFK, MLK and RFK. I remember the shootings at Kent State and the student strikes. Yes, those were troubled times with a lot of social and political unrest. However, since then, cable TV and the Internet have changed the way many of us get our information, and social media has a very big influence on the way people think and behave. Although Obama was the first POTUS to use Twitter, Trump has taken its use to a new level.

Of course there were a lot more chaotic times in American history. I'm guessing the Civil War was the bloodiest period in our country.

I agree that it would be better if there wasn't so much name-calling, but I doubt if you'll find too many level-headed, cool discussions on this forum.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:59 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
Quote:

Anyone?
I'm not that old, but I teach history for a living.

In terms of sheer numbers, the activism going on right now is actually under-reported. The protest activity of the 1960s was over-reported.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women&...e_for_Equality -- That was one of the largest women's rights protest of the "women's lib" era. It brought out about 50-60k people nationwide, 20,000 of them in New York City. There was another one in 1980 in support for the Equal Rights Amendment. It brought out maybe 100-200,000 nationwide. The 1963 March on Washington - MLK's "I have a Dream" - brought out around 300,000. The largest anti-Vietnam rallies were in 1969, with about 600,000.

All of those are quite frankly dwarfed by the January 2017 Women's March, which brought out around 3 million in the U.S. last I checked. Even adjusted for proportional population, that is a lot bigger (the U.S. had 205 million people in 1970). This article talks about some of those older protests: The 9 biggest marches and protests in American history - Business Insider

In terms of sheer size, the only comparable movement I can think of would be the nuclear freeze movement in the early 1980s and even that wasn't as big. The women's march dwarfed the Iraq War protests inside the U.S. - they brought out maybe 1 million in the U.S. at any given time... The question that lingers is how sustained will this activism be? Even the 60s activism, which was much more intense if not as big, got tired & petered out. Also, I keep thinking... wow, where was this activism during the election? Hillary Clinton was really awful to not be able to tap into even a smidgen of this. It was there, but not for her. Hell no, not for her.

In terms of what's unique for our time... there has not been this antagonistic of a relationship between the president and the press since at least Nixon. The difference with Nixon was that he was much more experienced & even handed, but he did hate the press & he had some of the kind of thin-skinned nature of Trump. Nixon never forgave the press for his loss in 1960, and he would bark at reporters & get testy with them like Trump does. Nixon's whole attitude is the closest modern analogue to Trump. Of all our recent presidents - these would the two that, personally, are just not very nice people. Truman, Ike, JFK, LBJ, Carter, Ford, Reagan, Bush I, Clinton, Bush II, Obama.... all of them had some level of affability. Nixon did not. Trump does not seem to. Like Nixon, Trump does not seem like someone who laughs very much. That says something.

The level of vitriol between the political parties and their camps has actually been bad like this before... but not since the electronic age began. Basically you have to go to pre-radio days. Go back that far and we can see in the newspapers that there was a LOT of vitriol in politics. Literal hatred. Competing rallies that broke out into violent riots. Antipathy for certain elements of the population. We can compare the 7-country ban to the kinds of actions taken during the first Red Scare in the late 1910s and 1920s. Just substitute "muslim" or "terrorist" with "anarchist," "communist," or "jew" and it's basically the same thing.

The main difference now is that it's all so much in our faces thanks to social media. I will note, though, that those periods were not exactly happy ones.

Last edited by redguard57; 01-31-2017 at 05:13 PM..

Old 01-31-2017, 05:00 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
The entire fabric of America appears to be unravelling with each passing day,as the chaotic reign of Trump rampages through our collective sensibilities like an unloved,dreaded season.

Is anyone else feeling the tragic,dystopian regression of the United States,as Trumps repugnant reign gains unholy ground?

I think we may be headed for a revolution!! (You can hear the clicks of the roller coaster car as it slowly makes it way to the top of the peak....)

I havent ever seen this amount of seperation amoung ppl,its like they are all being controlled!! (The trump puppets) and nothing he does thats BAD will register with them as being bad.. (Like his RUDE nature towards others)
Yes. You're obviously paying attention.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:00 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Once again you are displaying your inability to parse a couple of sentences ...

No where in my post was a "fact" nor anything approaching one. A child of 5 would be able to tell you that my post was opinion, even if they lacked vocab....

seems to me what we really have, was me hitting the nail square on the head and you floundering like a fool..
So you still don't understand what a metaphor is, I see.

At no time did I mention nor imply "children". The metaphor was about "government".

But you knew that, you just act hateful and write angry posts - reacting, not thinking. Not impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Exactly.

That's true.

Can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.

The Left is just in a total meltdown and I'm thoroughly enjoying ever minute of it.
It is comical, isn't it?

Old 01-31-2017, 05:05 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Every day, in every way, Trump is making America Better!

Old 01-31-2017, 05:10 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
You left out the MOST IMPORTANT COMPONENT to this feeling of chaos. THE MEDIA! The media is complicit in escalating non-stories to stir up unrest and fear in the uninformed. All the stories they ignored or covered up during the Obama Administration kept the masses calm, now that their party is out, they have to gin up fear out of nothing to keep the rhetoric of the left alive until the next election.
So true! Just today I read a headline on Yahoo news that said "Everyone is Deleting the Uber App." It literally said "Everyone." How stupid can they be? How stupid can they think their readers are?

Old 01-31-2017, 05:13 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
The entire fabric of America appears to be unravelling with each passing day,as the chaotic reign of Trump rampages through our collective sensibilities like an unloved,dreaded season.

Is anyone else feeling the tragic,dystopian regression of the United States,as Trumps repugnant reign gains unholy ground?

I think we may be headed for a revolution!! (You can hear the clicks of the roller coaster car as it slowly makes it way to the top of the peak....)

I havent ever seen this amount of seperation amoung ppl,its like they are all being controlled!! (The trump puppets) and nothing he does thats BAD will register with them as being bad.. (Like his RUDE nature towards others)
Leftists, anarchists and subversives are causing trouble as usual. OP, do you know of any?

Old 01-31-2017, 05:15 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
You left out the MOST IMPORTANT COMPONENT to this feeling of chaos. THE MEDIA! The media is complicit in escalating non-stories to stir up unrest and fear in the uninformed. All the stories they ignored or covered up during the Obama Administration kept the masses calm, now that their party is out, they have to gin up fear out of nothing to keep the rhetoric of the left alive until the next election.
Oh, puhleeze! I cannot count the number of conspiracy theories that hit the Internet after Obama was elected, not to mention the networks like Fox News reporting something negative about him (and often untrue) nearly every hour. What about Glenn Beck and his "Obama has a deep-seated hatred for White people" comment? Then add radio talk shows like Rush Limbaugh, etc., etc. Remember..."I hope he fails!" Huh?

Oh, wait! I forgot one of the biggest anti-Obama stories, speaking of our new POTUS - the birther movement!

Old 01-31-2017, 05:16 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Talking It's OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I look at it as more of a snowflake meltdown who are used of lack of enforcement of rules and law/not following the rule of law/Constitution in more than a few cases set by the last king.

Waaaa....
Just think of this thread as a conservo safe space.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies