Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2017, 10:29 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,370,853 times

Advertisements

What are the differences between business owners who are liberal and those who are conservative? Do they both want the same things from Washington? Do they share the same views on taxes and regulations? Do their views on the minimum wage differ?

Last edited by Motion; 01-31-2017 at 10:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 10:39 PM

1,323 posts, read 589,141 times
I own a small business. My problem is with the city. The feds, however, could make filing taxes easier. I would assume these issues are the same for most biz owners regardless of political affiliation.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:43 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,902,291 times
It will vary from individual to individual. I'm a business owner and consider myself moderate. I'm fine with paying some taxes and being required to follow certain safety, environmental, and labor laws. I'm against too many regulations, but in my industry (restaurant), there are few federal regulations. I'm for free trade, for the status quo immigration laws, less foreign intervention. Socially I lean liberal. I voted for Gary Johnson.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:54 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What are the differences between business owners who are liberal and those who are conservative? Do they both want the same things from Washington? Do they share the same views on taxes and regulations?

I'm pretty sure both of them want to make as big a profit as possible (amen), even if that means building products in mexico (amen)

Get your government out of my business with your stupid regulations.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:54 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
small businesses don't have the luxury of having bleeding heart CEOs that can make political statements and get away with it. Also, just because a CEO says something doesn't mean the CFO or others in charge of getting earnings per share are going to follow the CEO's lead.. in the end most corporations are out for earnings per share.

Maybe a liberal run corporation would be more likely to pay a living wage? Apple tends to not pay very well and overprices their phones and makes an absolute killing and has a massive cash stockpile despite their good reputation.. I'd hardly call them the bastion of human rights... 3M pays their blue collar workers fairly well by comparison.. all the plants I'm around they typically pay on the high end in town.. yet they have little in the way of name recognition...

Walmarts always bashed despite the fact many "mom and pop" places pay even lower wages... the good corporation to me would be the one that sacrifices a bit of profit to pay their employees a bit more regardless of what comes out of their CEO's mouth.. actions mean more than words, though like I said the smaller ones have a harder time affording this. The good pay should trickle down to production and blue collar, and not just the office people who surf the net half the day.

The ones I criticize the most would be the ones that really pull in the high profit margins, making a killing, and have a massive cash stockpile while paying their lowest employees $10-12 per hour or using lots of foreign labor and taking advantage of the lax environmental regulations in China to produce their products... the left cares about free trade and globalization, wants to bring in refugees, the problem is that the companies like to take advantage of this cheap labor and lack of regulations in places like China and using these refugees to displace middle class living wage work in favor of low wage work. Apple's the example I like to use because they are so well regarded by many on the left despite some of their business practices being as shady as wal-marts if not moreso in some cases.

Last edited by sholomar; 01-31-2017 at 11:16 PM..

Old 01-31-2017, 10:57 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
small businesses don't have the luxury of having bleeding heart CEOs that can make political statements and get away with it. Also, just because a CEO says something doesn't mean the CFO or others in charge of getting earnings per share are going to follow the CEO's lead.. in the end most corporations are out for earnings per share.

Maybe a liberal run corporation would be more likely to pay a living wage? Apple tends to not pay very well and overprices their phones and makes an absolute killing and has a massive cash stockpile despite their good reputation.. I'd hardly call them the bastion of human rights... 3M pays their blue collar workers fairly well by comparison.. all the plants I'm around they typically pay on the high end in town.. yet they have little in the way of name recognition...

Walmarts always bashed despite the fact many "mom and pop" places pay even lower wages... the good corporation to me would be the one that sacrifices a bit of profit to pay their employees a bit more regardless of what comes out of their CEO's mouth.. actions mean more than words, though like I said the smaller ones have a harder time affording this. The good pay should trickle down to production and blue collar, and not just the office people who surf the net half the day.
True, Costco is well-known for paying its retail workers a living wage. Their founders were big Obama supporters.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:21 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
True, Costco is well-known for paying its retail workers a living wage. Their founders were big Obama supporters.
Perhaps the day will come when an employer will care more about paying a living wage than simply earnings per share and stock price, as stocks mostly help mostly the people who invest in them.. people who have cash. 75% of people in the US and dare I say 90% of the people around the world don't benefit from rising stock prices... the top 1% concentrates their wealth more and some might say it "Trickles down" though that's debatable. Without incentive to make big bucks you lose R&D and technological innovation though so I understand the benefits a capitalist system has as far as technological progress goes.

Also if everybody pays more the cost of real estate will just go up to compensate, especially in markets with tight supply. Will people have more disposable income then?

As a stock market investor I have to say that companies that do this aren't the ones I target for investing of course.. I do look for growth, and barring growth, cost cutting will make a company do really well. In the end though I believe the person slaving away at McDonalds is worth more to society than a lot of the people who do far less for far more.. and I'm not the only one I work with who shares this opinion... I guess that's my bleeding heart side talking that people should be paid based upon how grueling the work is, and not just by how skilled their job is, but nobody forced them to take a low paying job, which is why I fully support them "striking" and attempting to get higher wages unlike many who criticize them.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
I own a small business. My problem is with the city. The feds, however, could make filing taxes easier. I would assume these issues are the same for most biz owners regardless of political affiliation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
It will vary from individual to individual. I'm a business owner and consider myself moderate. I'm fine with paying some taxes and being required to follow certain safety, environmental, and labor laws. I'm against too many regulations, but in my industry (restaurant), there are few federal regulations. I'm for free trade, for the status quo immigration laws, less foreign intervention. Socially I lean liberal. I voted for Gary Johnson.
these posts are spot on. some regulation is fine, as long as it is good regulation. food safety, clean air, and clean water are good things, but going overboard though is not so good.

same with taxes. making it easier to file them, that way you dont have to hire a staff of accountants just to deal with the tax code, is a good thing.

but it also depends on how successful the business owners are wheny ou ask them these questions. a struggling business owner is going to have different answers than one that is already near the top. steve wynn and bill gates for instance have different outlooks than the guy with a single restaurant trying to keep it going.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:20 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,370,853 times
Do any liberal business owners consider a $15 min wage too high?

Old 02-01-2017, 01:23 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
these posts are spot on. some regulation is fine, as long as it is good regulation. food safety, clean air, and clean water are good things, but going overboard though is not so good.

Exactly.

Telling companies where they can build their products is not a reasonable regulation, which is why I'm having a hard time understanding how people are ok with the trump admin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies