Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 09:39 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I do believe that immigration should be limited to the brightest or most successful. What can possibly be bad about that? America's educational standards will improve and the economy will go through the roof.

It makes perfect sense, along with completely stopping all illegal immigration of course.
I don't disagree with you.

However, I am for a RATIONAL immigration reform. Change is essence of life. But every change has a particular vision. What's the Immigration intention and vision? for better US economic growth and Create employment to the US people. So Global talent and skills useful to increase US economic growth. Who created employment to the US people they can eligible to get a green card as well.

This said, in my opinion, Any immigrants who can start a business that will immediately hire 20 or more Americans, we need them. I'd give these businesses -- and for that matter, ALL businesses, zero percent cap gains taxes, too, to help usher in a golden age of entrepreneurship.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:39 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Honestly, I would split immigration into five major groups: Black (Africa), White (Europe), Hispanic (Latin America), Asian (Asian countries), Other (Carribean, Eskimo, etc)... 20% immigration from each category... the percentage would change dependent on the representation in the country so that any particular race is not overly represented... I would limit the total number based on birth rate of the country (increase it in low birth rate periods and decrease it in low birth rate periods)... I would limit who can enter by the demands of the country, a lot of employment problems in farming? Find for those people... employment problems in technology? Find those people... etc etc... I would migrate them into places where jobs are needed... but that's just me...
A racial litmus test, NOT what this Nation is based upon. Good Grief.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:42 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Nope, not even close, we manage out actions better, you know do the work and put forth the effort required to deal with an issue.
Yeah, because we are so get at cleaning up our messes tomorrow.

Don't worry about the deficit now, we need to spend the money, but we'll take care of it next year. - $20,000,000,000 later....

We have somewhere between 11 million and 20 million illegals here.

Sorry if I'm pessimistic about this, "first we allow millions more people and then we start getting serious about our environment" plan.

No more kicking the can down the road.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:42 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Honestly, I would split immigration into five major groups: Black (Africa), White (Europe), Hispanic (Latin America), Asian (Asian countries), Other (Carribean, Eskimo, etc)... 20% immigration from each category... the percentage would change dependent on the representation in the country so that any particular race is not overly represented...
Like I stated previously, very few Europeans immigrate to the United States in modern times. They have no motivation to do so.

So, it would cut down dramatically on all the other groups if your policy were implemented.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 02-01-2017 at 09:50 AM..

Old 02-01-2017, 09:43 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Depends on which group you are talking about, but let me point out another fact, if and that is a Big IF, we start doing better economically as some promise then birth rates will go up, they always do during good times. You are laying all you hopes in an immigration ban, simply not the answer.
So, when the economy gets better, we have more illegals coming back and we are still allowing massive legal immigration, you think that translates to a population decrease?

Old 02-01-2017, 09:50 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
A racial litmus test, NOT what this Nation is based upon. Good Grief.
You must hate Affirmative action, hate crime designations, racial housing integration, and anything race-related... stop living in a bubble..

Old 02-01-2017, 09:51 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yeah, because we are so get at cleaning up our messes tomorrow.

Don't worry about the deficit now, we need to spend the money, but we'll take care of it next year. - $20,000,000,000 later....

We have somewhere between 11 million and 20 million illegals here.

Sorry if I'm pessimistic about this, "first we allow millions more people and then we start getting serious about our environment" plan.

No more kicking the can down the road.
The problem is you are a fatalist and either want to do something that does not address the issue or want to throw up your hands and so oh well.
As for spending the new Republican Congress is about to raise our National Debt by Billions and that does not even include things like the Wall, investigations into so-called voter fraud, or anything else the trump has in mind. Dude we are still spending and will continue to spend money we do not have, you should know that by now.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:51 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Like I stated previously, very few Europeans immigrate to the United States in modern times. They have no motivation to do so.

So, it would cut down dramatically on all the other groups if your policy were implemented.
I would include Russia in with the Europeans... as well as the Middle East...

Old 02-01-2017, 09:53 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
So we have a problem with manufacturing going over seas.....

Ban ALL immigration and what's left here in the US (technical especially) will also go over seas....

The highly educated/skilled/technical population of the US is a meld of both immigrant and US born. It makes for great resource for companies to tap both large and small. It exists precisely because we are a welcoming country for immigration.

I look at my team... We are a mix of US born, Chinese, Indian and other (Bulgarian, Russian also). All (well except me) have Masters and Doctorates.

I also don't think its what America is all about..

Old 02-01-2017, 09:54 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, define "smart" then?!

The ones work and live in the Silicon Valley?

Give me a break.
That's not the definition and you know it. Not everybody in Silicon Valley is smart but it's a smart hub. And people all over the world come to work there. Not only that we have two top notch universities close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies