Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you know any Muslims?
No 31 19.14%
I know a Muslim or two, but we don't really talk 40 24.69%
I have a Muslim friend 86 53.09%
I'm a Muslim 5 3.09%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 01:11 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exxon View Post
I don't want to know any. I don't believe there are any peaceful Muslims. I think there are two kinds, those who strap on bombs and those who say they deplore the act but quietly support it.
At least you admit that you're prejudiced.

And I think most of the country, including our Toddler-in-Chief, agree with you.

And have no clue what they're talking about.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:18 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I'm just taking the temperature of this forum.
This wasn't included in the polls. I have family members who are Muslims. My sister's last husband was a Saudi Arabian and she had two children with him-in the US.. Those children have spouses (one from Egypt and the other born in the US to Palestinians), so the grandchildren (my great-niece and nephews) are also of middle eastern descent. They consider themselves Muslim-American and moderate Muslims, I guess you'call it.

From all indications, my Muslim family members are hardworking contributing members of their communities, and the younger generation are as interested in knowing about their irish-american (our side of the family) heritage as they do about their middle eastern
roots. They're also warm and welcoming to us as members of their extended family.

Last edited by Travelassie; 02-03-2017 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 01:19 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
yes.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I only know three. I cannot stand two of them, (one went from being a Christian white girl to a Muslim after she married a Muslim man. I have no problem with that, but when she started yapping about how superior of a religion Islam is, she became this goofy annoying individual. It is laughable, really. ) The third Muslim I know is okay.

I have to constantly tell myself that I know nothing about Muslims and Islam, I cannot use my own experience to judge the entire group. Doing so is not fair.

I have a lot of combat Marine friends who don't trust Muslims. But this is understandable because after all, we are who we are through experiences.

Most of us (myself and my friends) just want to coexist with people we know nothing about. There is no mad love, there is no hate either.
To be perfectly fair, I know far more than TWO born-again fundie Christians who do this crap nonstop if you let them.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:24 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
To be perfectly fair, I know far more than TWO born-again fundie Christians who do this crap nonstop if you let them.

Oh my bad

I forgot the golden rule, every single time, there is a subject about Muslims, Christians have to be mentioned as well in order to be fair.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Oh my bad

I forgot the golden rule, every single time, there is a subject about Muslims, Christians have to be mentioned as well in order to be fair.
No... not really. Since this was about how well people know Muslims, I think it's a fair thing to bring up since you mentioned the proselytizing.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:40 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
I am friends with a wide variety of muslims. Everything from american born black muslims to arabic muslims from Iraq to European muslims from Bosnia. Most of us worked together and some from school. I even attended an open house "all faiths" event at one of our local Islamic Centers.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:45 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,368 times
The muslims I know (more as family friends, parents worked around the world, and we know people of all faiths and cultures and races, thats how I grew up)- are upper middle class, progressive thinking (for ex- the girls, which I got to know, went to college and are professionals) families like any other upwardly mobile American family- live in boring suburbs, shop at Costco, have 2.5 children, and are paying their mortgages...

Old 02-03-2017, 01:51 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,937 times
Wait. I'm friends with one person who is ex-Muslim (and gay). Does she count?

Old 02-03-2017, 01:53 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
That's funny you say that. After stating I was friends with a few now, one being a friend I work with, I remembered my college friend who was Egyptian and Muslim. On our breaks we decided to fly to Vegas and a few of her friends who were living in Egypt decided to come and flew in to JFK to join us. They requested a room facing a certain way and in between partying like mad women went up to said room to pray on schedule. I always thought it was so odd that they were probably breaking every "muslim" rule while in Vegas yet they still prayed when they were supposed to.
LOL, it must be human nature. My sister, who converted to Islam when she married her second husband, a man from Saudi Arabia long ago, has children, grandchildren, in-laws, outlaws, etc who are all of middle eastern descent or were born there, an d are all practicing, at least moderately, Muslims. She also lives and works in an area populated with many Muslims, and has a number of Muslim friends. Apparently her kids and their spouses don't wear hijabs, except to attend the mosque, where women are expected to do so, but my sister says she knows many women who do wear tradtional Muslim dress (hijabs and modest clothing, I guess, don't think there are too many burkas there. She was telling me that she still gets taken aback when she sees a woman dressed that way, as is considered pious and out of respect to the religion, let loose with a string of profanities or verbal attacks and name calling in response to something she's unhappy about. Just something that doesn't jive with that picture, but I think it's human nature coming through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies