Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2017, 08:51 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The appellate court decision would only stand if the SCOTUS ruling is a 4-4 tie.
That's correct, and that possibility is what I was basing my statement on sorry if I wasn't clear about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 10:20 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I love how everyone is suddenly a constitutional law scholar.
We are not discussing the Constitution. We are discussing the United States Code, specifically 8 USC 1182, which states (in part):

(f) Suspension of entry or imposition of restrictions by President Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate. Whenever the Attorney General finds that a commercial airline has failed to comply with regulations of the Attorney General relating to requirements of airlines for the detection of fraudulent documents used by passengers traveling to the United States (including the training of personnel in such detection), the Attorney General may suspend the entry of some or all aliens transported to the United States by such airline.

It doesn't seem to require a Juris Doctor Degree to understand what that portion of the Code means. It seems very clear, written in plain English instead of legalese, and it has been on the books since 1952!
Anyone who disagrees with the clarity of the first sentence of that paragraph, please explain, in detail, exactly where your disagreement is.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:38 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,998,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
We are not discussing the Constitution. We are discussing the United States Code, specifically 8 USC 1182, which states (in part):

(f) Suspension of entry or imposition of restrictions by President Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate. Whenever the Attorney General finds that a commercial airline has failed to comply with regulations of the Attorney General relating to requirements of airlines for the detection of fraudulent documents used by passengers traveling to the United States (including the training of personnel in such detection), the Attorney General may suspend the entry of some or all aliens transported to the United States by such airline.

It doesn't seem to require a Juris Doctor Degree to understand what that portion of the Code means. It seems very clear, written in plain English instead of legalese, and it has been on the books since 1952!
Anyone who disagrees with the clarity of the first sentence of that paragraph, please explain, in detail, exactly where your disagreement is.
I find it remarkable that a Federal Judge doesn't understand this, judges are suppose to enforce the laws not change them.

Immigration into the United States is a privilege not a right, there are immigration laws and they can be found in the Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1952. Public law 414, Chapter 2, Sec. 212 gives clear guidelines on who can enter the Unites States and who can not.

Maybe it's about time that this country starts enforcing the laws it already has, every other country enforces theirs. We have gone 16 years now without enforcing these laws and now that we have a administration that takes these law serious people are complaining.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:40 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
In case you forgot.... https://www.usa.gov/become-us-citizen

Old 02-06-2017, 10:54 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
We have a horrifyingly under-educated populace, thanks to our country's joke of a public school system. I've posted the stats in this thread, this post:

//www.city-data.com/forum/47089611-post41.html

That said, I had to correct a lefty on this forum who thought that those who have Green Cards are US citizens, when of course, they're not.

And more than one lefty has insisted that Constitutional rights apply to everyone worldwide, regardless of their foreign nationality and location outside the US. I had to explain that I, as a US citizen, did not have the Constitutional right to keep and bear arms while in a foreign country which does not permit such.
It's really scandalous how woefully uneducated some of these 'snowflakes' are. They automatically claim that something they don't like that Trump does is "unconstitutional" or "illegal" simply on the basis they don't like it. They have been brainwashed by the Leftists to believe that Trump is a "fascist," so anything he does must be illegal.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
I'm just wondering how many people on C-D could pass the Civics Test on the link you provided.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:01 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Can you state for me how Obama's ban was identical?
Well, suppose you tell me how it was different?

Old 02-06-2017, 11:04 AM

1,160 posts, read 712,532 times
here's a good question - if a different circuit court had ruled on the case - say the 10th circuit court - would we have gotten a different outcome?

Old 02-06-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
We have a horrifyingly under-educated populace, thanks to our country's joke of a public school system. I've posted the stats in this thread, this post:

//www.city-data.com/forum/47089611-post41.html

That said, I had to correct a lefty on this forum who thought that those who have Green Cards are US citizens, when of course, they're not.

And more than one lefty has insisted that Constitutional rights apply to everyone worldwide, regardless of their foreign nationality and location outside the US. I had to explain that I, as a US citizen, did not have the Constitutional right to keep and bear arms while in a foreign country which does not permit such.

And they will say that the 14th amendment applies to non-citizens, when in fact it only applies to persons who are born or naturalized as citizens of the United States.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:20 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
here's a good question - if a different circuit court had ruled on the case - say the 10th circuit court - would we have gotten a different outcome?
A Circuit only binds itself. The Washington DC only binds Washington, the 9th Circuit only binds the 9th Circuit.If the 10th Circuit came out differently we'd have what is called a Circuit split. What usually happens then is that SCOTUS has reason to get involved and settle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies