Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2017, 04:23 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It's natural, the next generation will seize the nation's wealth in the coming years.

Each generation complains the last one took it all....

The current 20/30 somethings were raised with the world's libraries at their fingertips. They had/have the opportunity to learn anything online at any time of the day. What will they do with the wealth of and easy access of information that has been left to them? They have been handed the world in a way that no other generation has been handed the world. What they choose to do with this gift is on them. It's not the fault of the generations before them if they don't take advantage of the leg up they have been given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 04:24 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I'm a Millennial but I'm also a social history junkie...

No offense OP but you have a very warped sense of history. I know it is a common kneejerk reaction to think life was better and more prosperous in the 50s, and to an extent it could have been but not to the lengths you are claiming.

As for now, I don't know where you live but here in St. Louis there are plenty of Gen Xers and Millennial in nice neighborhoods.

My husband and I are 29 and 33 and not an 'elite couple' by any stretch, but will likely own 2 houses by this time next year (rent out the home we live in right now and buy a bigger house to live in closer to hubbys work).

There are still multitudes of possibilities in the U.S, but some areas are easier to 'make it' in than others.
Congrats! You are too modest. Your last sentence should read:
There are still multitudes of possibilities in the U.S, but PEOPLE WITH DRIVE AND DETERMINATION 'make it' RATHER than others.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:26 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Would've been nice to grow up in the 50s. Didn't have to spend 90% of your money on education, health care and housing, like people have to today. An average Joe could afford to live in an area with nice views and good public schools. Now the Boomers own all the nice neighborhoods. Many of them own 2 or 3 houses! "Elites couples" in my generation can't afford 1 housee. We nneed to end this gerontocracy and make room for the next generation.
Do you realize that a whole lotta Boomers weren't even born until AFTER the 1950's?

Old 05-29-2017, 04:27 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Would've been nice to grow up in the 50s. Didn't have to spend 90% of your money on education, health care and housing, like people have to today. An average Joe could afford to live in an area with nice views and good public schools. Now the Boomers own all the nice neighborhoods. Many of them own 2 or 3 houses! "Elites couples" in my generation can't afford 1 housee. We nneed to end this gerontocracy and make room for the next generation.
The Baby Boomers seized all the nation's wealth

Let's Translate:
"Seize" means those darn Baby Boomers EARNED their way, they SAVED their money and it's just NOT FAIR.

To the "I want what you have class" -- that Earned, Saved, Worked Hard is "Seized".

We worked our way through college for the most part. I started paying Social Security when I was 15 years old and at times worked 3 jobs ..... all while going to school. That's a common story, we worked for what we have and this "Transfer the Wealth" business is just never going to fly with any of us.

Whine all you want - if we did it (and we did), then you can do it also. Government for the most part, stayed out of our lives. I've lived in my "nice house in a nice neighborhood" for 37 years and it's been paid for for 17 years ..... I'm not giving it away to you or any other whiner just because you whine about it.

We worked hard and my son & daughter ARE the next generation, they both have 2 college degrees and ZERO debt from those 2 degrees - they work for what they have and THEY both have more expensive houses than I do. Not that I couldn't buy a more expensive house or even a couple of them - but I'm satisfied with what I have.
No need for sick Envy.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:28 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
i don't understand why y'all think anecdotes about your personal lives have any relevance to the topic

"i did x." "i see other people your age doing y" "my friends all did z." such a waste of everyone's time. are people really this innumerate, that you think what is happening around you can be extrapolated into a narrative about tens, hundreds of millions of people across the nation?

there's plenty of data on this dead horse of a subject, but sadly none of it is referenced here.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:39 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
If most people had the choice of going back in time and living in let's say, 1953, or remain in the present day, I wager that most would rather stay in the present.

The houses were tiny then; no A/C; one car if you were lucky; one tiny (by today's standards) black and white tv with about 3 channels (unless you lived in NYC or LA) that tended to roll and need adjustment often.

Momma stayed at home, largely because momma had few job opportunities. You could still get a doctor or a house call, but if you really got sick and say, got cancer, it was a death sentence. Also, don't forget "duck and cover" during drills at school and living daily with the thought of nuclear annihilation. Forget your video games or computers. If you want to order anything and didn't want to go to a store, you rely on a Sears, Wards, or Speigel catalog.

So you didn't miss the good ole days. There was good and bad then too. And then, like today, if people didn't make the best of their opportunities, move where jobs existed and work hard to achieve success, they didn't fare so well.

People fondly remember the '50's because they were kids then. They would have a different perspective if they went back to that time as an adult.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:34 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Psst...all you whiney millenial snowflakes...Mark Zuckerberg is worth around $45 billion.

Get off your sorry asses and get to work...just like we did.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:13 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
the baby boomers let inflation rise so the next generation can't live-- I'm a boomer- do OK- but I see them and many-- so very -very selfish and self centered-
Uh; word was the 1970's was when inflation was REALLY bad. BTW: the people who ran things were much older than the Boomers. Like Jimmy Carter.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:17 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
You are not doing your generation any good whining like you have been on here lately. You don't want to pay taxes because of welfare recipients and now you want the boomers to pretty much give you their property. You are not entitled to anything. Go out and work hard and just maybe you might be able to own something.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i don't understand why y'all think anecdotes about your personal lives have any relevance to the topic

"i did x." "i see other people your age doing y" "my friends all did z." such a waste of everyone's time. are people really this innumerate, that you think what is happening around you can be extrapolated into a narrative about tens, hundreds of millions of people across the nation?

there's plenty of data on this dead horse of a subject, but sadly none of it is referenced here.
Well, post some of this data, then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies