Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 06:25 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I totally disagree with the decision of the university police department. I read the article. Disgusting excuses from top to bottom (including the response from the police sgt quoted). Weak. Pathetic. Against the law. And I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for many of those LEOs on the front line who are internally and professionally hard-wired to take control of the out-of-control, but had to stand down under orders.

Arrest, mug shot, finger print, abide by the laws on the books re: penalties. The next time it happens arrest, mug shot, finger print, abide by the laws on the books re: penalties (including whatever increased penalties are on the books for participating in a second riot). Rinse and repeat.

The adults in the room need to start ACTING like the adults in the room. And everyone from the gutless brass in the PD to the gutless administrators at the university are included in that expectation of adult, accountable behavior. Grow a damn spine.

If the situation does not improve, cut off federal funds. Money talks. BS walks. Do the adults in the room want to lose their federal financial support for the sake of a bunch of out-of-control maggot kids?? It's coming.
Yawns. This is puffed up blathering.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:28 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,125,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I just love how letigious conservatives suddenly are.

How much should they get? $2, $3, $5 million?

I saw it on television, should I sue them too?

Usually I would be right there with you, but if the University is complicit by not policing as they should then they have to pay a price to change policy. What purpose did they have if they just were watching, not allowing the event to happen and not protecting people?
Let me ask you the question, do you honestly think the policy is good for the police to stand down? I get the point of not creating more problems, but I think if they set the tone in the beginning then it wouldn't have erupted.
We will see how they do next time....

Old 02-07-2017, 06:32 PM

529 posts, read 370,172 times
Quote:
Haha Im still waiting for someone to explain the hypocrisy?

1. He was invited by the school Republican club.

2. The school approved it.

3. Students protested peacefully outside while the event was taking place inside.

4. Black-clad, masked assailants from Occupy Oakland showed up and reaked the havoc you all gasped at on tv.

Here, they took a group selfie afterwards back in Oakland.

5. Because the anarchists penetrated the building and could have caused bodily harm to the speaker and his audience, police shut down the event.

Damage and injury was at a minimum.

The fake outrage that ensued afterwards is what's hypocritical, actually.

Your own words betray your attempt at revisionist history.

You are now pointing at the school and saying they did everything right, but then the "masked assailants from Occupy Oakland showed up and wreaked havoc."

When it was happening in real time you were outright giddy and proud:

Quote:
Proud of my Alma Mater!

It was all over the local news but I didnt know it was on CNN
Quote:
Yeah just googling this guy, what a piece of work.

But honestly, it's not just him and his hate speech but on a greater level, this is ultimately about of the era of Donald Trump.

I applaud the intensity. Berkeley cant ever lose that.
Quote:
Yup. He can be worshipped in some other places but not here.

Berkeley is #nazifree
Quote:
Yes and you are all GLUED to your tvs as well.

The message you need to take away from this: We will NOT just sit idly by as neo-nazi fascists like Bannon/ Trump toy with our liberties.
So which is the real story?

You are proud of your alma mater? Or your school played by the rules and then the bad Occupy people showed up ruining the peaceful protest?

Old 02-07-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Usually I would be right there with you, but if the University is complicit by not policing as they should then they have to pay a price to change policy. What purpose did they have if they just were watching, not allowing the event to happen and not protecting people?
Let me ask you the question, do you honestly think the policy is good for the police to stand down? I get the point of not creating more problems, but I think if they set the tone in the beginning then it wouldn't have erupted.
We will see how they do next time....
In this particular situation I give the police a pass. The damage and human injury was minimal.

We'll see what happens next.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:36 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,784,890 times
Quote:
I totally agree with the university police depts' decision.

Property damage wasnt that bad, at the most intense, it was contained to a portable light that was burned and a few windows were smashed, but actual injury to people was very minor for such a large amount of people.

If they engaged protestors, we would have seen people getting hurt on tv and the fake outrage would have been 10x worse.
Bull.

Once the firebombs went off and people were attacked (6 injured !!) There should have been a significant response & there should have been dozens of arrests.

They cancelled the d*mn event, they KNEW it was going to be unruly. What good are cops if they can't prevent & protect 6 people from being attacked and injured (sent to the hospital).

& what is it with allowing dangerous people to wear masks?? Confiscate the masks & ID who is wearing them.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:47 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
THANK GOD I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA aka civilization
The same state that voted against gay marriage? Gotcha.k So progressive you all are.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltergulick View Post
Your own words betray your attempt at revisionist history.

You are now pointing at the school and saying they did everything right, but then the "masked assailants from Occupy Oakland showed up and wreaked havoc."

When it was happening in real time you were outright giddy and proud:

So which is the real story?

You are proud of your alma mater? Or your school played by the rules and then the bad Occupy people showed up ruining the peaceful protest?
Haha there is no contradiction here whatsoever.

I am very glad that you all know just how much we dislike the sort of views held by this neonazi assh*le who is nothing more than a right wing media wh*re. No we dont need to pretend to play nice with him.

Yes he deserves to speak and the school accomodated him but if those anarchists were able to get to him you'd all be even more 'indignant'( yawns)

That said, the protest by student was actually subdued and the police did a good job all things considered.

I will say this, those anarchists arent really anarchists-they actually looked quite organized and with a president so antithetical to our values in office, I am beginning to wonder what role this 'group' might play in future points of contention that make their way to our streets?

Old 02-07-2017, 06:56 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
I totally agree with the university police depts' decision.

Property damage wasnt that bad, at the most intense, it was contained to a portable light that was burned and a few windows were smashed, but actual injury to people was very minor for such a large amount of people.

If they engaged protestors, we would have seen people getting hurt on tv and the fake outrage would have been 10x worse.
No, BS. The hands-off response is totally wrong. If they had a strong presence before the protest none of that stuff would have happened. The police were all over downtown Houston before the Super Bowl, with bomb sniffing dogs and strong police presence. The organizers paid extra for police security at Berkeley, and they sure didn't get their money's worth. I'd sue the heck out of them because this created a danger to citizens and peaceful protesters. But I have a feeling you would be dressed in black.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
No, BS. The hands-off response is totally wrong. If they had a strong presence before the protest none of that stuff would have happened. The police were all over downtown Houston before the Super Bowl, with bomb sniffing dogs and strong police presence. The organizers paid extra for police security at Berkeley, and they sure didn't get their money's worth. I'd sue the heck out of them because this created a danger to citizens and peaceful protesters. But I have a feeling you would be dressed in black.
Blah blah blah

Youre upset that more people werent hurt?

You wanted to see bodies on the street?

Not enough vandalism?

Its easy to pontificate after the fact but all in all the injuries and vandalism were not that bad.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:23 PM

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
I just love how letigious conservatives suddenly are.

How much should they get? $2, $3, $5 million?

I saw it on television, should I sue them too?
There will be law suits, and the University will either settle or lose. Anyone who was injured and does not sue the school is an idiot. The school was responsible for providing security. Even if the campus police DID act and people got hurt, it would be negligent, but this is so much worse. They didn't act. They didn't even ATTEMPT to do their job. They may as well have not been there at all. The school has no case here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies