Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Political leaning? And what parenting style were you raised with? (Choose closest answer)
Liberal / Lenient Parents 16 20.51%
Liberal / Strict Parents 22 28.21%
Conservative / Lenient Parents 19 24.36%
Conservative / Strict Parents 21 26.92%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 06:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,780,185 times

Advertisements

I'm a lefty libertarian, usually vote D.

Parents were rural depression kids, my dad especially grew up very poor, they voted for FDR's party until Nixon, when they switched.

Childrearing philosophy was "spare the rod, spoil the child".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 06:39 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,957,689 times
Being a Democrat doesn't necessarily mean you're a liberal. My parents were Democrats and far from what would be labeled liberal today.

I am a registered Democrat, but I have independent views on a variety of issues. Some Democrats I know think I'm too conservative, which makes me laugh since so many posters on C-D call me a *******.

edit: didn't know that word would be censored. lol I used an unflattering word for a liberal.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:28 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,153,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I liken this fact to similar large numbers of people who don't vote at all and/or who can hardly tell you the difference between the political parties anyway. It may be that younger people are less and less inclined to associate themselves with either of the two primary political parties, and who can blame them. Right?

However, from a practical standpoint, registering Independent doesn't do anything for anyone except perhaps prevent them from voting for either of the two party candidates in the primaries. You can always vote for other than a Democrat or a Republican in the end regardless what party you are registered with, so what advantage is there to registering as an Independent? Bragging rights at best I suppose...

I truly wish our political system were more like in some other countries where other than two major parties are actually contenders, but the reality in America today is that either a Democrat or a Republican will be elected POTUS. Thinking or voting otherwise is simply to ignore this fundamental truth, sad as it may be...
Yeah, thinking of it, I think using the categories 'liberal' and 'conservative' are too broad. I think the finer point I was trying to get to was whether someone formed their stances based more on a desire for 'law and order' more or more for civic rights and freedoms.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:45 PM

10,239 posts, read 15,952,650 times
My dad is very conservative because he was born in China and escaped communism. My mom sees herself as a centrist but is really center left. I myself am conservative. On the spectrum I should be a regular conservative but many liberals see me as a right-wing nutjob. I do support Donald Trump, oppose Obamacare, want the wall built, and want to see the EPA leave my state of West Virginia because I am a big supporter of our local coal industry which provides many jobs in my community. I have a very dim view of the tree huggers on the national level and on government bureaucrats coming to my community and telling us how to run our affairs.

I'm also against ILLEGAL immigration. One reason I'm more conservative than my parents is because I am a born again Christian while they are not. I am more pro-life and pro-traditional marriage than they are. I'm also more conservative than my mom on capital punishment and police issues. My mom is more sympathetic toward BLM protesters (she does not hate the police) while myself and my father are not. We all used to live in Baltimore and my dad and I both believed Freddie Gray tried to hurt himself and we both believe Trayvon, Mike Brown and Tamir Rice caused their own deaths through their own actions.

I wouldn't say my family was particularly strict. I was able to make my own decisions as long as I never broke any rules, did anything illegal etc. They did not force me to be part of their religion and are very open about which friends/girlfriends I have as long as they're not on drugs, complete lowlives etc. My mom doesn't like the NRA but she is fine with the fact that I own many guns and go shooting regularly.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:48 PM

32,118 posts, read 15,107,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Let's see if there are any correlations (which I'm aware doesn't mean causation).

Clarification -

By lenient, I don't mean neglectful (necessarily) - just that your parents were flexible with rules and preferred to reason with you or relate to you as a friend.

By strict, I don't mean abusive (necessarily) - just that your parents strongly enforced rules and didn't hesitate to dole out punishments.

These options are pretty binary because I think most of us would say something in the middle. But if you had to choose even slightly which way you lean politically and how you were raised, which one?
Your poll is flawed. I'm a moderate democrat so how am I supposed to vote. And I'm sure there are still many moderates on both sides.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:01 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,572,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
my dad and I both believed Freddie Gray tried to hurt himself and we both believe Trayvon, Mike Brown and Tamir Rice caused their own deaths through their own actions.
I just will never understand this mindset.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:56 AM

43,717 posts, read 44,488,948 times
Being that my family moved overseas during my childhood, I don't really identify with any of political connotations of conservative or liberal. So I can only identify as independent if anything.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:18 AM

11,285 posts, read 11,053,466 times
I consider myself a moderate conservative. I'm very conservative from a fiscal perspective and quite moderate on social issues (compared to many righties on this board). My parents are hard right conservative Christian fundamentalists. They're from a different era. They frown on many of the political stances I hold. In fact, the only issue we agree 100% on is illegal immigration.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:25 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,664,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I consider myself a moderate conservative. I'm very conservative from a fiscal perspective and quite moderate on social issues (compared to many righties on this board). My parents are hard right conservative Christian fundamentalists. They're from a different era. They frown on many of the political stances I hold. In fact, the only issue we agree 100% on is illegal immigration.
Ditto. I'm actually registered as a Libertarian.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:28 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,124,790 times
Strict immigrant parents... My father is more conservative. We disagree on many issues. My mother in law is quite liberal.. we disagree on many fiscal/political issues but find common ground in some social.

Moderate.... Probably slightly liberal when it comes to social issues.

I think conservatives and liberals are too far extremes these days to feel comfortable with either.

People who know me simply say jokingly "confused".. Mostly because I rarely take either side without question.

not quite sure what to choose in the poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies