Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 09:52 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,788,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I'm happy to inform you that you will be helping to pay for it.
The wall isn't happening, so no we won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 09:53 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,445,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's funny that this should come up. I have an health issue involving my eyes, too, and my treatment runs more per year than America's median annual income. Not kidding. Without appropriate care, I would be blind. Fortunately, I have the money to pay for it even without insurance. God help you if you are not as flush as we are and find yourself in a similar position. I am very concerned that Trump's history of rash behavior will inspire a repeal of the ACA without an adequate replacement that will put millions at risk of losing the health care they need to function as productive citizens.
I'm glad that you're so rich that you don't need insurance.

Other people do, and I suggest that they pay for it with their money, not my money.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:56 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,389,678 times
Quote:
I'm glad that you're so rich that you don't need insurance.

Other people do, and I suggest that they pay for it with their money, not my money.
I did not say that I am rich, only that I can pay for my care for the time-being. Furthermore, if you don't think you are paying for other people's care while enrolled in a traditional insurance plan, then I'm afraid you don't actually understand how insurance works.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The rioters aren't in the Oval Office - the bullies seem to have one of their own there, however.

Your slanderous characterization of those opposed to the current Republican administration as being completely composed of "rioters", "crybullies", and so on is avoiding the real issues as well as being intentionally insulting. It may make you feel better to engage in such immature and shallow behavior, but defending your favorite at all costs, denying or brushing off his very real flaws of character and past behavior and current inability to get along with others, denying the similar flaws of his advisors and those who surround him on a daily basis, while pointing the dirty finger at those of us who are appalled by such a man representing the executive branch of our government do not speak well for you and similar Trump-ites.

I do not hate Trump, but I have major concerns about his ability to govern. His personality, abilities and character do not seem adequate for a strong or even competent leader of a major democracy. While his general intelligence may be average, he appears to have an extremely short attention span and an even shorter fuse. He does not demonstrate any intellectual curiosity. Before assuming office, he had little knowledge of how the three branches of government worked and ideally, complemented one another. He seems to have difficulty recounting past events accurately and appears to confuse real events with fictional ones (his staff has the same problem). He does not seem particularly willing to listen to others with more experience - perhaps he feels threatened by them instead. His prior behavior towards women is atrocious. He stiffed employees, cheated students enrolled in his "university", and there are convincing stories of his involvement with the Mob as well as with Vladimir Putin's hoodlums.

How anyone could think a person of such low caliber is fit to be President is beyond me. However, he's now in the Oval Office, so once it became clear that this was going to happen, I told myself, "Okay, this isn't good, but I'll give the man a chance. Support him where I can. Infrastructure is neutral - I can support that without qualms. I'll wait and see how he does with the rest, and see who comes on board to work with him." That's about what I've told myself when others I'd supported lost elections.

But this time! Within three days of assuming the Presidency, things started to go downhill fast. They've picked up speed on that downhill roll ever since.

Had someone told me on Inauguration Day that within 16 days, I'd be rallying for refugees on the courthouse square and speaking out against the current occupant of the Oval Office, signing petitions, calling my representatives, meeting with others in my community who share my concerns, writing letters, carrying signs and an American flag...I would have thought they had lost their mind.

But here I am. Now in my eighth decade, speaking out and getting called an anarchist and rioter here at C-D because I went down to the courthouse square, along with about 1,000 other people, none of whom were rioters or anarchists and walked around with an American flag and a handmade sign about refugees.

Wow, I thought I was being a reasonably patriotic American, though I wasn't there to call attention to myself, but went downtown because I was concerned, didn't think what's been happening was just or legal or even very "American", and I needed to speak up. Even if it was just by carrying a small sign and an American flag...
I don't remember calling peaceful protesters "rioters" and "crybullies", so your strawman argument fails.

As for your opinion of Trump, it's just like any other opinion.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Make guys wear condoms. That's the cheapest. How is that gonna roll?
It's not the guys' problem. Not unless there's a paternity suit.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:59 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,147,604 times
Quote:
It's funny that this should come up. I have an health issue involving my eyes, too, and my treatment runs more per year than America's median annual income. Not kidding. Without appropriate care, I would be blind. Fortunately, I have the money to pay for it even without insurance. God help you if you are not as flush as we are and find yourself in a similar position.
I can't help but look at our situation similarly. The same year the market tanked, our son went off to college and we qualified for no help. At the same exact time, my father-in-law who were were helping financially was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer. And yes, he had Medicare but it in no way even remotely was able to afford the over 300K of medical bills piling up in the corner. We are just now recovering and facing retirement now only to be told however, that we must keep ponying up for others. Believe me... I can be as caring as the next person, but when is it enough? Every time I turn around someone else wants me to pay their way in life. Free college, free health care, free birth control, free food, free housing...free... free...free... All I ask from the left is to finally, FINALLY admit that there is no such thing as a free ride and quit expecting me to sacrifice what is left of me for them.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:59 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,203,263 times
Quote:
LOL. You are a piece of work.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:01 AM

68,340 posts, read 54,462,599 times
Quote:

Ah, the right's well known mantra of 'personal responsibility' in its purest form!

Old 02-13-2017, 10:03 AM

46,987 posts, read 26,047,970 times
Quote:
Liberals only support things with other people's money.
Meh. This liberal immigrant pays more taxes than 90% of the true-blue Americans posting on this board.

And I don't have much of a problem with that per se, as long as the money is spent constructively. That is to say, not on a stupid, stupid wall, or the latest Pentagon boondoggle program or spacecraft designed around what aerospace businesses are placed in which Congressional districts, to mention a few.

The less said about GWBs little Iraq excursion the better.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I did not say that I am rich, only that I can pay for my care for the time-being. Furthermore, if you don't think you are paying for other people's care while enrolled in a traditional insurance plan, then I'm afraid you don't actually understand how insurance works.
We need to change that, too.

Deadbeats who get treatment I have to pay for (when they've contributed nothing) need to be confined to work houses/debtors prison and stay there until they've not only paid what they owe, but paid for being given room and board in the work house/debtors prison.

They should also pay interest on their debt and an administrative fee.

Our laws have allowed thievery to go on for much too long.

Last edited by dechatelet; 02-13-2017 at 10:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies