Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:22 AM

10,837 posts, read 4,380,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
But, does he tell you why we need a wall? I mean, sure... he mentions all those "bad hombres" but does he really tell you why he wants to spend billions of dollars in taxpayer money to build a vanity wall when enacting legislation to prevent the hiring of undocumented workers makes so much more sense and costs SO little?

Sure... he barks out stuff like "wall!" and "MAGA!" and "bad hombres!" and "scary Muslims!"

But, is there any SUBSTANCE?

Nope.

That is the problem here. You like the idea of blowing money like a sailor on shore leave for isolationist and/or poorly-thought out remedies.

I do not.
I remember a campaign speech whereby Trump had a stage full of people who had lost loved ones because of the actions of illegal immigrants.
He more than justified the need for a wall, and he didn't do it with fancy words.....he did it with reality.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:24 AM

68,349 posts, read 54,490,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
You are referring to the LIE of the Year Award for President Obama - that's the thing about "lies", when they are proven to NOT be "truth", it's a disaster.

"If you like your Doctor - You can keep your Doctor ..... PERIOD!"
"If you like your Insurance - You can keep your Insurance .....PERIOD!"
Aw, the "thousands and thousands" Trump saw celebrating the 9/11 attacks in the streets of Jersey City agree that's just wrong! Ask them! IF you can find them.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:25 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,244,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Because Donald Trump only knows the bullet points on issues and uses them as his talking points. He can't speak in more depth because he doesn't have a comprehensive understanding of many issues.
Very few leaders do and just because those few do doesn't mean they will make good or right decisions.

That's why presidents have advisers and cabinets.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:47 AM

51,659 posts, read 25,891,462 times
Trump could be dumbing down his speech for his base, or it be could just how his brain works these days, or could be a combination.

It is clear that he is not one to grapple with difficult concepts.

His yammering about "renegotiating" the national debt was clue that he didn't understand how things worked on an international level. (Aside from the fact that we owe about half of of the national debt to ourselves, refusing to honor our treasury bills at full value would be a disaster for our economy.) Mercifully, he has quit talking about it. Unfortunately, some of his base are still enthusiastic supporters.

There are numerous instances, such as his announcing his ACA replacement plan would be ready on Day One. Or that he had a secret plan for ISIS. (Which now seems to consist of telling the generals to come up with a plan.) Or this disastrous Muslim travel ban rollout. Even the assistant manager at Kinkos would know you couldn't roll this out without a fair amount of coordination with agencies such as TSA, Homeland Security, Defense... Having it reviewed by a legal team would been a plus as well.

He just isn't a "deep thinker." His simplistic repetitions, his bungling actions, that he has to have Kellyanne, etc. go out and explain what he really means all the time...

Now whether he was always this way, or whether he is struggling with the onset of dementia remains to be seen.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:58 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,396,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Trump could be dumbing down his speech for his base, or it be could just how his brain works these days, or could be a combination.

It is clear that he is not one to grapple with difficult concepts.

His yammering about "renegotiating" the national debt was clue that he didn't understand how things worked on an international level. (Aside from the fact that we owe about half of of the national debt to ourselves, refusing to honor our treasury bills at full value would be a disaster for our economy.) Mercifully, he has quit talking about it. Unfortunately, some of his base are still enthusiastic supporters.

There are numerous instances, such as his announcing his ACA replacement plan would be ready on Day One. Or that he had a secret plan for ISIS. (Which now seems to consist of telling the generals to come up with a plan.) Or this disastrous Muslim travel ban rollout. Even the assistant manager at Kinkos would know you couldn't roll this out without a fair amount of coordination with agencies such as TSA, Homeland Security, Defense... Having it reviewed by a legal team would been a plus as well.

He just isn't a "deep thinker." His simplistic repetitions, his bungling actions, that he has to have Kellyanne, etc. go out and explain what he really means all the time...

Now whether he was always this way, or whether he is struggling with the onset of dementia remains to be seen.
Proof that somebody in the West Wing has the authority to say "Shut up, Mr. President!" and make it stick? Maybe this is a good sign.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:27 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,244,033 times

Old 02-13-2017, 09:42 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,396,963 times
My kids' middle school uses Socratic seminars as a teaching tool, and I cannot tell you how many students try this same tactic: talk around the subject and then, "Look, a squirrel!" It would be hilarious if the stakes weren't so high.

Last edited by randomparent; 02-13-2017 at 09:53 AM..

Old 02-13-2017, 09:50 AM

23,597 posts, read 17,279,425 times
for emphasis, like Mr 'let me be clear' did to preface every time he lied.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:55 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
for emphasis, like Mr 'let me be clear' did to preface every time he lied.
No one is debating that, at least I know I'm not, just highly ironic that Trump has lied, denies reality, and what do you get from the Trump fans? Nothing. Crickets. Even worse perhaps, you get folks standing by the lies, standing by the outright nonsense, and alternative facts. No spine at all.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:57 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,716,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swayalot View Post
Also, President Trump has the best sense of humor we've ever seen in the White House.
I loved it when he was reciting 1182(f) of the constitution and he stopped to say that the line should be "he or she" instead of "he" to emphasize his political correctness (something which he's not known for).
He mentioned the "he or she" thing twice, and smiled big league at the irony
Yes, I remember when Bill Clinton started saying the "he or she" in the 1990s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies