Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2017, 10:09 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,640,224 times

Advertisements

Crime is everywhere. 50000 people died in the town I live in...just yesterday. And this happens every other day.
Times are crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 10:12 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,124,790 times
Marketing tactic.. very common in sales.

Over inflate the "need" and sell the solution.... followed by a small print disclaimer that indicates that "results may vary" and such...

Old 02-15-2017, 11:00 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,240,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It's racism, plain and simple.
Total nonsense.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:01 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,222,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
My plan if I lived in a crappy place.

Move
You seem to have a rather simplistic understand of human psychology. There is a reason why the vast-majority of people don't want to do that.

It reminds of how people are constantly saying, "you need two-incomes to survive in this world."

This is obviously not true. A lot of people survive with little-to-no income at all.

But that isn't what the phrase actually means. It really means that the quality-of-life of someone with a low income is so terrible, that if you want a decent quality-of-life, in many cases, you need two incomes.

But lets us then dissect what they really mean by a "good quality-of-life".

It reminds me of someone talking about "good schools". As a general rule, what a good school really means, is a predominantly white middle-class school. And the primary expense, as it relates to quality-of-life, is always the cost of housing. You have to pay a premium to "buy your way out of the ghetto".

The only way to keep the riff-raff out, is to price them out of the market(IE gentrification in large cities).

And this is part of the problem that America has had over the past several decades. At one time, the vast-majority of crime was limited to the ghettos, usually to only the inner-city. The suburbs were a world apart.

But, although absolute crime numbers have gone down, crime has become more diffused. Basically, the drugs and crime that had largely been quarantined in a few neighborhoods in the inner-cities, has suddenly spread itself all over the country. Not even the countryside is safe.

Thus, it has become almost-impossible to "buy safety". The "good schools" of the suburbs, have suddenly been infiltrated by large numbers of immigrants and families from the inner cities. Some of them actually being forced-out of their previous urban homes because of gentrification.

The safety/security that the vast-majority of Americans had in the past, is limited now to only a handful of those who can afford to live in quarter-million dollar homes, in gated communities.

This increasing stratification of society. Where the vast middle-class has been outsourced, and replaced by low-wage immigrants, has hurt the vast-majority of working-class Americans, only to benefit the rich.

The rich get to benefit from the exploitation of cheap labor, but don't have to live in the neighborhoods that have been completely transformed.

People want safety, security, and the protection of their values. It really isn't about the money.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:05 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,638,883 times
The right watches Fox. That's it. They are the Republican Cheerleaders. Republicans do nothing wrong according to Fox. They are part of the reason we are so divided today. America has always been great. Don't think so? Move to Russia....

Old 02-15-2017, 11:11 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,299,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
While I understand this want and it would benefit me as well, the cost to make the products, supporting those types of salaries was not sustainable.

I would love to get a job in a factory making $25-$30 an hour, but I do not want to pay $100 for a tshirt either.
Nobody does. That's why Trump's family all have their clothing lines made in China.

Old 02-15-2017, 11:11 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,119,732 times
Under Obama's presidency over the last 8 years, I used my VA loan to buy a house, finished my college degree, my wife finished her Masters degree, I landed a job, and my wife also landed a good job. My wife and I have had nothing but good times under Obama.

I'd love to hear a story from the Trumpers/Obama haters that describes how their lives were negatively affected DIRECTLY by something Obama did. I'll wait.....

Old 02-15-2017, 11:12 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,299,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
why are you concerned about refugee's? Because you are brainwashed by the left to be upset? Will you be paying the bill or are you one of those people who pay little or no taxes.
Is that what you got from my post?

Perhaps read it thoroughly next time.

5,513 posts, read 5,246,406 times
Seriously?

After 8 years of Obama apologizing to the world for how terrible America is, you insult the guy who was elected because he thinks we should be proud of producing the most prosperous working class in human history, and that we deserve a leader who won't sabotage us at every turn?

28,965 posts, read 30,316,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I have heard so much about "Make America Great Again (TM)" over the past 6 months or so and I have got to ask:

What's was so horrible about it before Trump rolled into town with his Made in China hats and told you all that this place was a cesspool?

Come on. America has flaws, like any other country, but it's surely not a terrible country.

Have you see the places that refugees are trying to escape to come here?!?

Even the Rust Belt, angry voters who are upset about jobs have it better than refugees.

Even in Flint, where the water is polluted and dangerous, those people still have warm homes and a roof over their heads. And food to eat.

So, again, I ask you...

What is so terrible that must be made great and can only be done by a lying swindler like Trump?
Trump remembers how our country used to be, as do many of his followers....
today, anything goes, and so what if you break the laws?

Which is evidenced by the way people use their cells in their cars...? Perfect example, or by how they run red lights....

Which is what happens after a while...You can't ignore laws for convenience, b/c when you do, it starts to erode the whole fabric of society....it's been going on now for two generations...and it needs to be put in check again.

I remember when this whole "if you spank your kid, he'll be scared for life" thing started....kids on the whole, not every kid, but, they have little respect for the laws, for anyone older than they are or for the personal public space of anyone...it's theirs and that's it...period.

And yes, I have seen the places that refugees are trying to escape from, but to simply allow everyone in, will eventually have a huge toll on the financial system of the U.S.

Open your door to the homeless, feed them, take care of them and see what happens.

Money does not grow on trees...it's got to come from somewhere, and the money that is funding them, takes money away from Funding America.

We just simply cannot take them all...and if you were wise, you'd do some research and find out what is happening to other countries who are now swamped with refuges...
Do you think all those reports of rapes and beatings are lies?

And yes, they might have it better then refugees, but how much better by their standards.

America has got to maintain some order in all of this....we've got to get our own house in order first, and then logically and reasonable reach out to other countries. You cannot, leave people in your home, willy nilly, without some form of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies