Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2017, 09:36 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Being in the automotive industry (the design /engineering side of it) I saw many lose their jobs and health care actually was one of the industries many jumped too. It was very tough, and not many could make the reduction in income, going from around 6 figures to $30k isn't so easy.
This happened to my father in law. Luckily, he was near retirement age already and they had planned for years for the day to come when he would not have a job with GM anymore.

So, they have his pension and they have savings and their homes are paid for (they have two... snowbirds) and he works at his local golf courses in both locations for a bit of extra cash and free golf.

He was fortunate, but he is also a licensed electrician, so if he really wanted to go back to work, he could start up a business and go make some more money. He was ready to retire.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:39 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Probably because their lives and where they live is awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Many just want the "really good" jobs that this country used to have that didn't require a degree. Because many of them have 20 or more years into the "really good" job that was offshored, or outsourced. And if they retrain , and or get a degree where does that get them ? A start in something making a third of what they've made for the past 20 years ? Right....
Those aren't coming back, though. They were lucky to ever have those jobs as an option at all.

Do you want to pay 10x more for all the things you buy now so they can have those unskilled jobs back?

Nope. You do not.

So, since getting the sweet, high-paying, union job that required little to no education back isn't an option, one has to do what one knows how to do, or train to do something else.

And I do have empathy for the people whose jobs went away. I really do. But, you know that the jobs have vanished for some white collar workers, too, right? Offshoring of some tech jobs has resulted in people needing to go back to school to make themselves marketable.

It happens to everyone. I think that you just hear more griping about it from people who already had it entirely better than they ever realized due to unionized positions in manufacturing.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Probably because their lives and where they live is awful.
My plan if I lived in a crappy place.

Move.

I mean it. I'd just start looking for a job in the largest nearby area that had some opportunities... anything... grocery store management trainee program... whatever.

Even if the pay wasn't super high... it's a start to building a new resume that doesn't pigeonhole you as a factory worker.

Then, once I was into that job, I'd be training myself for something I wanted to do more... maybe I want to be an HVAC technician or something... who knows?

Then, I switch from one job to another because I'll have a certification in that new job and everyone needs to keep their heat and AC working. (or whatever thing I pick that has a good outlook for jobs).

From there, I move again, if necessary. Wherever the money is.

I know, I know... people should not have to move... why can't they stay where they are and have the jobs come to them?

Because.

They just cannot.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:50 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Drugs everywhere.
Groups calling for murder of police thus bringing chaos to our country.
Hardworking people holding two jobs so people can come into our country and this hard working person has to keep them up.
Health cost rising at high percentage so idle can get it for free while that hard working person doing two jobs cannot afford it at all.
Women marching in the street so they can have the choice to murder their offspring.
Turned on the local news yesterday and illegals in Charlotte/Mecklenburg were asking the school board to commit treason so they won't have to obey immigration laws.

That's just a few. I could make a list so long no one would read it.

The biggest problem is the name calling of anyone who wants law and order back in our country. Shame on anyone who is not supporting our ELECTED president who is doing what you SHOULD want him to do.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:59 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Many just want the "really good" jobs that this country used to have that didn't require a degree. Because many of them have 20 or more years into the "really good" job that was offshored, or outsourced. And if they retrain , and or get a degree where does that get them ? A start in something making a third of what they've made for the past 20 years ? Right....
While I understand this want and it would benefit me as well, the cost to make the products, supporting those types of salaries was not sustainable.

I would love to get a job in a factory making $25-$30 an hour, but I do not want to pay $100 for a tshirt either.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:00 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Funny how with an opportunity to criticize Trump, liberals forget all the ways they constantly criticize America. Wealth inequality, corporations buying elections, institutional racism and white privilege, bombin and droning people all over the world, poverty and homelessness in a wealthy country, the high cost of education, the remaining millions of people without insurance, the school to prison pipeline, the war on drugs, and on and on.
Exactly. The next time a white hispanic neighborhood watch guy shoots a black kid, these same people will be on here every day for months moaning about how awful and racist this country is.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:06 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
Quote:
don't forget to add:

Bigotry
Islamophobia
Xenophoia
Misogynistic
White privilege
the NRA
Ted Nugent
Homophobia
Deplorable

Is there any other labels the left has given us that I missed ?
Transphobia my good man, transphobia! What kind of a bigot are you, that you would forget to mention transphobia?

Old 02-15-2017, 10:08 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I have heard so much about "Make America Great Again (TM)" over the past 6 months or so and I have got to ask:

What's was so horrible about it before Trump rolled into town with his Made in China hats and told you all that this place was a cesspool?

Come on. America has flaws, like any other country, but it's surely not a terrible country.

Have you see the places that refugees are trying to escape to come here?!?

Even the Rust Belt, angry voters who are upset about jobs have it better than refugees.

Even in Flint, where the water is polluted and dangerous, those people still have warm homes and a roof over their heads. And food to eat.

So, again, I ask you...

What is so terrible that must be made great and can only be done by a lying swindler like Trump?
why are you concerned about refugee's? Because you are brainwashed by the left to be upset? Will you be paying the bill or are you one of those people who pay little or no taxes.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:09 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
You can not do a good job of taking care of others before you can take care of your own. So take a look around OP, are our own well taken care of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies