Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 04:37 AM

901 posts, read 747,573 times

Advertisements

LOL revolution. No one is coming to save you. The reality is if you don't do something for yourself and change your outlook, you will grow old in crushing poverty, hair pulling anxiety, and brutal depression. Maybe organize an "unemployed march" on Washington if you want to bring attention to the issue. Advertise it as a "show of solidarity against outsourcing, insourcing, offshoring, layoffs, downsizing, and hiring illegals instead of American's" It would be impressive if you could get the 94 million people out of work to march........probably gotta get them away from the video games and Facebook to make it happen though.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:19 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin99 View Post
Yes, this post is about work.

How much longer is this system going to last? Where we are paid peanuts, with no benefits or health, for hard work that barely covers the cost of rent or our mortgage, and that destroys our lives? Where we are constantly given more to do, told to put or shut up, or we can go jobless and compete with millions of immigrants? And if that isn't enough, they'll do everything they can to outsource our work elsewhere?

And on top of that, whatever we are paid, half of it is taxed to pay for welfare, banker bailouts, and constant war against countries that hate us precisely because we wage war on them?

10, 20, 50 years? Forever?

Are working Americans so addicted to food, drugs, sports, and entertainment, that they will put up with this forever?
I'm definitely not a part of your "we" category. This isn't a systemic issue with companies. This is a personal issue with how you choose to allow your success or failure to be determined by someone else without taking any control of your work life.

Also, you're exaggerating on taxes a bit. If you make between $37k-$91k you are paying 25% in tax. That's 1/4 of your income. Not 1/2. That is a big difference. The most you can pay in is 39% but you'd need to have a gross income of $418k + to fall into that bracket.

Companies don't tell you to put up or shut up. They tell you to do the work you were hired to do (which you agreed upon doing with acceptance of the job) or leave. If they have added roles you don't agree to and have changed the terms of your agreement in your opinion, you can leave.

If you are suffering from being paid peanuts it's because you've failed to manage your career properly.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Throwing thousands of people out of work due to their BAD Business decisions, and outsourcing thousands of jobs overseas to save pennies while , taking all the jobs from the American workers and destroying their livelihood and taking food off their table while taking MILLIONS of dollars in bonuses for doing a lousy leading the business. Cutting their workforce so they can buy a 2nd or 3rd yacht etc.

No Not at all.. Totally normal people with all their mental faculties in place

Theres no checks and balances in business so when a psychopath/sociopath takes over.. Watch out. There is NO accountability for this evil. Thats why companies are where they are today.

The guy cleaning the restroom toilets have more accountability than the execs at the top.

Worker disengagement at an all time high.. Employee morale at an all time low.. Gosh I wonder why??

You have an unrealistic (and uneducated) view of how companies work.

If a company makes a bad business decision they must recover from it or fail. It's no different than you buying a car that was advertised as mint only to find out it's a lemon and you now have to struggle to pay for all the repairs. At some point you will have to cut your losses and move on.

You cannot blame all this on employers. If you as an employee see the warning signs and choose to sit idly by while it happens then you get your just desserts. Inaction is still an action.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Yeah, exactly. That IS a sociopathic scheme developed by evil greedy people.

And "accountability to shareholders" only reinforces the psychopathy. There really are no checks and balances. The only "balance" is the balance sheet, and execs work to enrich themselves, not the shareholders. That they do this primarily by keeping a bare handful of shareholders happy and on board (because, you know - PROXIES) does not constitute any kind of "check" or "balance" regarding ethics and fair treatment for employees.

Hold up.

Please explain in detail how opening a business to make a profit, taking extreme risks and putting your entire livelihood on the line to be successful is sociopathic? How does that make them greedy?

Also how does it not make us all greedy? We all work to make money. We all want to make enough money that we can live the life we desire. THAT is the ultimate goal for us all. Because someone was able to become ultra successful in a business where it makes profit that makes them greedy?

This sounds like jealousy more than anything else. You can take the same risks for the same reward. But if you choose security instead of risk, don't complain when those who take the risk are more successful.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:33 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
I don't think we'll have a revolution. Yet. However, I can feel the pressure building. Our most recent national election was an indicator. People are angry because their standard of living is constantly eroding. They feel like the politicians on both sides won't listen and don't care. And I agree.

At some point, I think our current welfare programs, e.g. EBT cards, section 8 housing will be replaced by a universal income payment. But not yet.

Until then, my advice wrt employment is to focus on improving your job skills. Give an employer a reason to want and need those skills. Make your employer fearful of losing you to a competitor.

They will treat you well because they have to.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:50 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,698 times
You control your actions. If you're unhappy in your career or income bracket do something to change it. Invest in yourself through education, credentials, vocational training etc. many can be done via a student loan so get out there and figure it out. No one is going to pay well for average akillls at an average job. You need to make yourself stand out and acquire extra skills that make you indispensable to the company. Or highly marketable to another. I started out in a call center while putting myself through college and grad school. Paid off all debts within 7 years by living frugally. If I can do it anyone can if you have the drive and dedication. If you don't and want to sit around playing the victim that's your decision but don't expect to be magically rewarded without working your a$$ off.

I worked over 80 hrs a week for five years after grad school. Sometimes 100 or more even. I'm not a CEO or top level exec but I can comfortably support my family now. My husband is in the same boat and owns his own business. We lived on pasta and paycheck to paycheck for two years for his business to take off. It's not easy but if you want it you can achieve it.

I guess my big point is here you have to have determination, dedication, drive and be willing to sacrifice to get where you want to go. If not then I don't have much patience for whining about it without taking action.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:54 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Holy Drama Batman

Old 02-17-2017, 08:04 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin99 View Post

Are working Americans so addicted to food, drugs, sports, and entertainment, that they will put up with this forever?
Valid point.

If you take the superbowl, every one - The team owner, players, media, sponsors would have earned more than they spent - except the public, who spent a few 1000's for a seat . By flashing Gisele so many times, even her brands got free advertising.

I know of a saying " Everyone can live frugally, but everyone cant be rich" .

Old 02-17-2017, 08:33 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
It's not the concept of rules that I find unsettling, but the fact that an employer or supervisor can change them on a whim, and without advance notice, and all because of the supposed expectations of that fickle, irrational, foible-driven critter called "the public".

Employees struggling to make ends meet and balance their personal and family obligations are often forced to deal with new burdens and, occasionally, personal expenses, such as more uncomfortable, elaborate, and expensive clothing, paid from their own pockets and not even tax deductible; all because of the vagaries of fashion and "consumer tastes".

Perhaps it's time for formulation of a basic set of employee rights (hopefully, without Big Brother's interference) -- and the sensitivities of those still trying to live in the Fifties be damned!

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 02-17-2017 at 08:41 AM..

Old 02-17-2017, 08:50 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
If you are paid peanuts why should you be paid more? What value do you bring to the table? Are you generating at least 3X the cost to have you around? I always think it is funny when low wage earners want more money but fail to increase the value that they offer. Why should a company pay anyone more when the return on the investment is so low?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies