Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 08:36 AM

25,558 posts, read 17,263,106 times

Advertisements

The 4th Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled a cross, in place for 100 years, is now unconstitutional. It is......... well, shaped like a cross and is maintained (flowers and landscaping by teh city government) . And it recognizes sacrifices made in WW1.

I, personally, disagree with the ruling and see no harm in letting the monument stand.

So who ruled in favor of cross removal?
James A Wynn...... First nominated by Clinton, but was never confirmed, and later by Obama in 2010.
Stephanie D Thacker.... Nominated by Obama and confirmed in 2011.

And who dissented?
Chief Roger L Gregory.... Nominated and confirmed in 2001 by Bush, although he was initially placed in a recess appointment by Clinton.

This is why Trump's judicial appointments are important. Obama stacked the courts with whatever liberals he could get, and Trump is busy undoing that damage. Since federal judicial placement are for life, the only way to undo the damage is to try to outnumber the progressives.

The story is all over the internet and news, so I will not cite any particular source.

FWIW: I am a non christian Republican. I do not go to church.

What's your take on all this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 08:40 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

What's your take on all this?
Religious icons shouldn't be maintained at public expense.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:42 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,846,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

Even if they weren't maintained by public expense... I bet you still have a problem...

Old 10-26-2017, 08:44 AM

25,558 posts, read 17,263,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

Would you be OK with the location if it were privately maintained?
And what about all the religious symbols maintained at Arlington Cemetery? Should they be removed?

Old 10-26-2017, 08:52 AM

39,219 posts, read 27,582,466 times
Quote:
And what about all the religious symbols maintained at Arlington Cemetery? Should they be removed?
good question.

---------------------------------

It is for ww1 war dead. I assume back then most soldiers were Christians and they chose a Christian burial. That is all. Some see a cross and immediately have a panic attack.

Should we get rid of all of these?

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/m...jpg?1479156204

Most of these memorial sites are maintained by public fund anyway.

Here is a picture of my friend's temporary memorial site

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...l-marines.html

So what there is a cross. so what? It is for the war dead and how they chose their burial! It is not about YOU and YOUR opinion about religion.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:05 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Transfer ownership of property to private sector. Problem solved.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:17 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
A cross as a war memorial would be OK if it was all Onward, Christian Soldiers.

The problem is: all Americans aren't all Christian and never have been.

It's always been onward, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Ba'hai, Atheist Soldiers. (Along with a few soldiers who worship the Sun, Moon, the Devil, Elves, Earth Spirits, or whatever.)

So- how come only the Christians get the symbol of their faith as a testimony to their sacrifice? Why do all the others have to lie in their graves unrespected and unrecognized?

In a citizen army, who gets the credit? Who should get the credit? Should their faith be more importantly memorialized than their valor?

If their faith is the more important, then why is this so?

Ain't nothin' wrong with honoring the Christian dead inside a Christian church house. That's fitting and proper. But on common ground, ground that is public where all are free to enter and walk, it's the valor, not the faith, that deserves the commemoration.

In the past, the citizens who erected the cross didn't see it that way. But those guys are dead, and those times are gone forever.

So who deserves the most commemoration now, in another time? The dead soldiers, or the dead guys who erected the cross?

Personally, I would sooner pause and think of those who fought for our nation than I would pause and think of some dead Chamber of Commerce guys whose intentions were good, but their execution was poor in building a monument.

But that's just me.

For other folks, the past is always more important than the present because well-intentioned mistakes were never made in the past.

I hope I don't make any mistakes today. By tomorrow, today will be in the past.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:24 AM

Default Not the first time you've been wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Even if they weren't maintained by public expense... I bet you still have a problem...

Not if a religious organization takes the ball and runs with it at their expense.

So much for your "analysis."

Old 10-26-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:

See post #8.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:25 AM

39,219 posts, read 27,582,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
A cross as a war memorial would be OK if it was all Onward, Christian Soldiers.

The problem is: all Americans aren't all Christian and never have been.

It's always been onward, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Ba'hai, Atheist Soldiers. (Along with a few soldiers who worship the Sun, Moon, the Devil, Elves, Earth Spirits, or whatever.)

So- how come only the Christians get the symbol of their faith as a testimony to their sacrifice? Why do all the others have to lie in their graves unrespected and unrecognized?

In a citizen army, who gets the credit? Who should get the credit? Should their faith be more importantly memorialized than their valor?

If their faith is the more important, then why is this so?

Ain't nothin' wrong with honoring the Christian dead inside a Christian church house. That's fitting and proper. But on common ground, ground that is public where all are free to enter and walk, it's the valor, not the faith, that deserves the commemoration.

In the past, the citizens who erected the cross didn't see it that way. But those guys are dead, and those times are gone forever.

So who deserves the most commemoration now, in another time? The dead soldiers, or the dead guys who erected the cross?

Personally, I would sooner pause and think of those who fought for our nation than I would pause and think of some dead Chamber of Commerce guys whose intentions were good, but their execution was poor in building a monument.

But that's just me.

For other folks, the past is always more important than the present because well-intentioned mistakes were never made in the past.

I hope I don't make any mistakes today. By tomorrow, today will be in the past.
BOLD: They shouldn't. NO ONE is saying they should be the ONLY one who got the credit.

I assume MOST war dead back then (ww1) were Christians and they chose burial accordingly. That is all.

Muslims, Jews can certainly have their own monuments. This is a separate issue.

We cannot say "Oh, since other soldiers don't have this type of monument, let's get rid of the Christian ones."

This is not fairness to me.

The monument is for the war dead, that is all. My friend who was killed in action was a Christian, we remember him as a war dead a war hero, not a Christian Marine, although there is a cross there. Not sure why is this such a YUGE deal!

I think it is just petty if one gets all worked up over a cross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies