Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 09:46 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
So, christian monument fans have had a free ride for way too long.

Now it's time for them to stand up and take responsibility.
What about crosses in Arlington ? Remove them too?

Answer this question.

by the way, there is no such a thing as "them" ! back then, most soldiers chose a Christian burial because most of them were Christians. So it is common you see a cross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 09:46 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Certainly at the time this monument was erected this was an overwhelmingly Christian country. It was natural to memorialize the soldiers with a Christian symbol. Today with all of the multi-culturing, we must be sensitive and equal activism, that is not necessarily the case.

This is exactly why our Constitution should be viewed as originally written, textually. Else, we will be constantly changing what is acceptable, supportable, constitutional. Depending on the ever shifting sands of public thought, at the moment.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:47 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Then why not just remember them as somebody like your grandfathers?

Don't they deserve to stay there?

What is the big deal is my question.

It has been there for 92 years. Which Christian organization are you talking about ? The bottom line is the monument has been there for 92 years. It doesn't hurt anybody. The monument is for WAR DEAD. come on now. Don't be so petty.
What matters is that they know you(and those who think like you) want it to stay and they have the power to take it away from you so they will. They love that you can't stop them and that it upsets you, even if just a little. Or at least they hope it upsets you. Makes their day a little better.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:55 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
What about crosses in Arlington ? Remove them too?

Answer this question.
Are they public monuments to christianity?

Or are they individual preferences recognized and observed at individual gravesites that acknowledge a wide variety of faiths?

Arlington headstone symbols.

Quote:
by the way, there is no such a thing as "them" ! back then, most soldiers chose a Christian burial because most of them were Christians. So it is common you see a cross.
How many are buried at that monument? Why should that monument honor only the christian servicemen?

Old 10-26-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Are they public monuments to christianity?

Or are they individual preferences recognized and observed at individual gravesites that acknowledge a wide variety of faiths?

Arlington headstone symbols.

How many are buried at that monument? Why should that monument honor only the christian servicemen?

I don't think it is

Like I posted at least five times, back then, most of the war deads were Christians and they chose their burial accordingly.

If I saw an unmarked grave in battlefield, I perhaps would give them a Christian burial because I wanted Nothing but the very best for them. But this is just me.

So just because you saw a cross, doesn't mean they only want to honor the Christian soldiers.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I don't think it is

Like I posted at least five times, back then, most of the war deads were Christians and they chose their burial accordingly.

If I saw an unmarked grave in battlefield, I perhaps would give them a Christian burial because I wanted Nothing but the very best for them. But this is just me.

So just because you saw a cross, doesn't mean they only want to honor the Christian soldiers.

A christian monument to fallen christians should be maintained by a christian organization, not the tax paying public.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
A christian monument to fallen christians should be maintained by a christian organization, not the tax paying public.
Most of the war dead monuments are funded by tax dollars. You keep on saying this is a Christian monument, I see it as a war hero monument. If they used Muslim symbol or Jewish symbol, I would have said the same thing.

92 year old monument hasn't hurt you or anybody else. It should stay.

I will repeat again, just because you saw a cross, doesn't mean they only want to honor the Christian service members. If I saw an unmarked grave in battlefield, I'd give the soldier a christian burial because that is all I know how to do. This is my way to show respect. It is Me (as a Christian) to show my respect. Nothing more/less. So just because you saw a cross, doesn't mean we/they just want to honor Christian soldiers.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-26-2017 at 10:13 AM..

Old 10-26-2017, 10:17 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
The monument was originally on private land maintained by private funds. No one is buried there, it is just a monument . Move it to private land and have it maintained by private funds. Problem solved.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
The monument was originally on private land maintained by private funds. No one is buried there, it is just a monument . Move it to private land and have it maintained by private funds. Problem solved.
There is no "problem" to solve. Some aholes want to make it a problem. Let's call a spade a spade.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Most of the war dead monuments are funded by tax dollars. You keep on saying this is a Christian monument, I see it as a war hero monument. If they used Muslim symbol or Jewish symbol, I would have said the same thing.

92 year old monument hasn't hurt you or anybody else. It should stay.
Point out where I said it should taken down.

Quote:
I will repeat again, just because you saw a cross, doesn't mean they only want to honor the Christian service members. If I saw an unmarked grave in battlefield, I'd give the soldier a christian burial because that is all I know how to do. This is my way to show respect. It is Me (as a Christian) to show my respect. Nothing more/less. So just because you saw a cross, doesn't mean we/they just want to honor Christian soldiers.
If the only religious symbol on that monument is a cross then it's a christian monument.

Christians should be happy to take over maintenance after so many years of taxpayer support.

Yet judging by the response here, they're being petty and ungrateful.

WWJD

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies