Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 08:53 AM

19,754 posts, read 12,315,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

Sorry I dont think I am dense for not being able to wrap my head around 9,000 ABLE BODIED, SINGLES WITH NO DEPENDENTS not being able to figure out how to manage 24 hours of volunteer hours a month. I cant wrap my head around the fact they cant seem to generate enough money to buy an old beater and get some type of job to better themselves. Apparently those 9,000 didnt need those food stamps after all and haven't starved.
They are NOT all able bodied. It is not easy to be declared totally disabled. You don't know the health of the people kicked off of food assistance. Maybe kick off some parents and see how their kids do. It is up to the parents to feed their kids, not the state, or is it?

LePage is a racist nut who has said things that make Trump look positively tolerant and liberal. Maybe he really does want the black drug dealers from New York to impregnate his white country girls, you can count on some new welfare babies coming because he was too cheap and stupid to allow a few dollars a month for some canned beans and meat to poor unhealty uneducated people who live in the boonies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 09:23 AM

36,765 posts, read 31,015,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They are NOT all able bodied. It is not easy to be declared totally disabled. You don't know the health of the people kicked off of food assistance. Maybe kick off some parents and see how their kids do. It is up to the parents to feed their kids, not the state, or is it?

LePage is a racist nut who has said things that make Trump look positively tolerant and liberal. Maybe he really does want the black drug dealers from New York to impregnate his white country girls, you can count on some new welfare babies coming because he was too cheap and stupid to allow a few dollars a month for some canned beans and meat to poor unhealty uneducated people who live in the boonies.
According to the article it was those NOT disable and having no dependents that were asked to do one of the three things or lose their their benefits.
So no one disabled, no one with dependents was included.

I dont know their health but you do? As well what they buy with those stamps and the level of their education and where they live?

Old 03-06-2017, 09:25 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,802,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Weaning or easing people off of the benefits by decreasing it rather than having cutoffs the way the system is right now is definitely one way of approaching it. Just thinking out loud. At the same time, perhaps give people credits or some kind of additional benefits if they attend classes to learn things like compounded interest and how to make smart decisions. There are certainly a lot of things we as society can do to help improve people's psychological conditions that cause them to remain tethered to the system in the first place.

But again, we run right up to a brick wall. There is simply not enough political will for the people in charge to make the changes for the better. They simply enact simplistic temporary solutions that solve nothing in the long run. Liberals keep wanting to extend and increase benefits while conservatives keep wanting to cut benefits. Neither side has ever taken any meaningful approach to help people at the psychological/mental level.
And because of that, putting the lifers who abuse the tax payer aside for now, I believe there are three groups of welfare recipients.

1. People who fell on hard time, who want to work and need help but run into the income limit issue,
2. People from the above group who threw in the towel,

Most in these two groups are trapped, a tiered system would move these people off the system. Work for the government, our roads and bridges are crumbling, they could hold those traffic signs, get the shovel. Everyone benefits if they work.

3. and now the lifers who abuse the tax payer and keep making their situation worse.

As for the lifers, they must to work too, but something has to be done to change their mentality. No one should take pride in living on tax payer funded welfare.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
And because of that, putting the lifers who abuse the tax payer aside for now, I believe there are three groups of welfare recipients.

1. People who fell on hard time, who want to work and need help but run into the income limit issue,
2. People from the above group who threw in the towel,

Most in these two groups are trapped, a tiered system would move these people off the system. Work for the government, our roads and bridges are crumbling, they could hold those traffic signs, get the shovel. Everyone benefits if they work.

3. and now the lifers who abuse the tax payer and keep making their situation worse.

As for the lifers, they must to work too, but something has to be done to change their mentality. No one should take pride in living on tax payer funded welfare.
Sadly this will be the hardest.
Even those who have not been raised needing assistance seem to have no pride in actually earning an income. I dont know how we even go about breaking the cycle and changing the mentality for lifers.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:16 AM

37,536 posts, read 61,578,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
According to the article it was those NOT disable and having no dependents that were asked to do one of the three things or lose their their benefits.
So no one disabled, no one with dependents was included.

I dont know their health but you do? As well what they buy with those stamps and the level of their education and where they live?
The focus of our governor's efforts to restrict these benefits has been; non-elderly, non-disabled, non-parents.

If you are elderly, or if you are disabled, or if you support children, then these cuts do not affect you.

I serve on the boards of a couple groups that have volunteers. We have been trying to encourage more people to volunteer with community programs. Anyone who depends on these benefits can volunteer some hours and that keeps the benefits flowing.

But we have a lot of difficulty in getting these people to volunteer.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The focus of our governor's efforts to restrict these benefits has been; non-elderly, non-disabled, non-parents.

If you are elderly, or if you are disabled, or if you support children, then these cuts do not affect you.

I serve on the boards of a couple groups that have volunteers. We have been trying to encourage more people to volunteer with community programs. Anyone who depends on these benefits can volunteer some hours and that keeps the benefits flowing.

But we have a lot of difficulty in getting these people to volunteer.
So what do we do about girls who keep making babies because that's just what you do in their culture?

Welfare mom can go work the same as other women who are not on welfare do. The kids can go to child care while mom is at work. If dead beat dad doesn't contribute he goes to jail or is put to work too and money is taken and given to the mother.

What you suggest only keeps the mentality going. Listen to this lady, look at all her children. What do you she is teaching the children. This has to be stopped before the mentality can change.

Somebody need to pay for my alll my children, somebody needs to be held accountable and they need to pay. Who do you think taught her that mentality? Most likely a welfare mom

Oh and here's another one. They feel no shame in being on welfare. Actually full of pride. What do you think she taught her children?

This lady trashes a store because her EBT card was declined. They passing down of this mentality has to stop.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:51 PM

Oh and there's white trash like this too. Welfare moms have to work the same as non welfare moms do.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Oh and there's white trash like this too. Welfare moms have to work the same as non welfare moms do.
I agree that just because you have kids you shouldn't get a get out of work free card, but I guess you have to start somewhere.

I really dont know what we as a society can do other than start limiting assistance and push education.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:36 PM

417 posts, read 346,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
She is now working long hours and someone else is raising her kids. How is that a better system?
It's a better system because the tax payers aren't footing her bill, it's not the tax payers responsibility.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:07 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,030,179 times
Quote:
I think the system also keeps people who would like to get off the system trapped. If you make income above the income limits you lose benefits. You'd have to go from 0 to 100 to make up for the benefits you lost. Instead of tiering the numbers, and weaning people off, there are cut offs.
Yes they keep them poor. They are learning though, to allow people to get ahead equals them staying ahead

Keep em poor and they remain poor
Let them get ahead and they remain ahead

Personally I think most everyone is human. After they work, there is an integrity and sense of self worth that kicks in that if they are doing better than minimum wage so not stressed and suffering like before. then they will continue to work. Especially after this medicaid expansion took hold, it allowed many unhealthy people, and those with mental disorders, the medical care they needed. If Trumps tax plan gets implemented and poor people are allowed to keep more of their money versus the rich, that will really HELP alot. Because it seems to cost money to get a job versus the value of welfare benefits value, it shouldn't be that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies