Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 06:27 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Why don't you work for what you have instead of wanting to take it? Sound fair?

The problem
Is you don't have a clue what the answer is.
I do work for what I have, why is it always assumed that someone who advocates for liberal economic positions must be poor? My father literally was a millionaire when he ran his own business, but was still a liberal and still paid his taxes without complaining. So don't give me that tripe

Old 02-21-2017, 06:29 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,143,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
This is a serious question. Considering conservatives are against minimum wage, against redistribution of wealth, against the commons (i.e. publicly funded things like police, schools, fire, etc), against unions, against healthcare. Really, what are they 'for'? And don't use the old personal responsibility line, because that isn't the question.
We aren't against minimum wage. Minimum wage jobs used to be done by students or used for part-time employment when we had GOOD jobs before we were sold out.

Redistribution of wealth? I don't have a lot of money, but the liberals can get off their computers and out of the protest line and go and earn their own wealth if they want it.

Conservatives are not against "the commons". I have no idea where you got that idea. Let me guess, CNN?

Conservatives are not against unions. You would need to understand the ins and outs of unions to understand, and I am not in the mood to educate on this tonight.

Healthcare? Not against that either. People have been purchasing healthcare and health insurance for their needs for quite some time. Expecting someone else to provide your healthcare..........

The problem I see is that some feel like the government owes them. That isn't what the government is for.

We need to cut government benefits, not increase them. Give people a reason to get out of bed and off their Obamaphones. Bring jobs and require everyone work that isn't too elderly or disabled to work.

The old "personal responsibility line"? We shouldn't have to use that, your parents needed to embed that when you were younger.

So, OP, did your father share his million with the poor? Was he in a position to pay employees very generously and provide excellent healthcare? I get the idea that a millionaire doesn't become one by being terribly generous with others.

We pay our taxes also and we work. We expect the same from others.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:29 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,630,169 times
The OP paints everyone with a broad brush. I am a conservative voter. I see no problem with using taxes for things we all use like roads, public school system for children, etc. I also am very much for helping the helpless, but not the clueless. Having a severely disabled son I know the difference. I know most of the takers aren't helpless and I see that as the problem along with those that think everyone's college and health care should be free. It isn't realistic. There isn't enough of other peoples money to make everything free. Doesn't that make sense?

Old 02-21-2017, 06:30 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,601,193 times
Quote:
I do work for what I have, why is it always assumed that someone who advocates for liberal economic positions must be poor? My father literally was a millionaire when he ran his own business, but was still a liberal and still paid his taxes without complaining. So don't give me that tripe
Did he pay his fair share?

Old 02-21-2017, 06:31 PM

35,714 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
The OP paints everyone with a broad brush. I am a conservative voter. I see no problem with using taxes for things we all use like roads, public school system for children, etc. I also am very much for helping the helpless, but not the clueless. Having a severely disabled son I know the difference. I know most of the takers aren't helpless and I see that as the problem along with those that think everyone's college and health care should be free. It isn't realistic. There isn't enough of other peoples money to make everything free. Doesn't that make sense?
You know, you and I may not have enough, but truly there us enough money as long as there are jobs to extract the tax needed. And if you fired the congress of fooling around with people's money and fattening their friends pockets. There is more than enough,,, just mismanaged

Old 02-21-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
How much theft is acceptable to you?
Ah, the old libertarian taxes=theft argument. If we lived in your libertarian fantasyland where there were no taxes but user fees and profit motives for everything, most people wouldn't be able to afford anything, so the economy would grind to a stand still. The average family can't afford tuition for primary school, toll roads, private police, private fire etc. And there would be no mass transit in libertarianland, because no private company could ever set up a subway system, the tickets would be so expensive that most couldn't afford to ride, making it not profitable.

As a final aside, did you ever consider that education and healthcare have great return on investment? A dead or crippled person can no longer contribute to society, and an uneducated person really can't contribute either.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We aren't against minimum wage. Minimum wage jobs used to be done by students or used for part-time employment when we had GOOD jobs before we were sold out.

Redistribution of wealth? I don't have a lot of money, but the liberals can get off their computers and out of the protest line and go and earn their own wealth if they want it.

Conservatives are not against "the commons". I have no idea where you got that idea. Let me guess, CNN?

Conservatives are not against unions. You would need to understand the ins and outs of unions to understand, and I am not in the mood to educate on this tonight.

Healthcare? Not against that either. People have been purchasing healthcare and health insurance for their needs for quite some time. Expecting someone else to provide your healthcare..........

The problem I see is that some feel like the government owes them. That isn't what the government is for.

We need to cut government benefits, not increase them. Give people a reason to get out of bed and off their Obamaphones. Bring jobs and require everyone work that isn't too elderly or disabled to work.

The old "personal responsibility line"? We shouldn't have to use that, your parents needed to embed that when you were younger.

So, OP, did your father share his million with the poor? Was he in a position to pay employees very generously and provide excellent healthcare? I get the idea that a millionaire doesn't become one by being terribly generous with others.

We pay our taxes also and we work. We expect the same from others.
You lost all credibility the minute you said Obama phones.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:35 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,280,080 times
Quote:
The thing that baffles me is that the plutocrats have convinced the slightly better off than the working Poor's that they are one of them and get them to vote against their own interests.
Oh, now we should only vote for our OWN self interest? Which is it?
Quote:
For example...
Your numbers and assessment are off a bit. $1450 / month net is a lot different than $6000 / month net in terms of maintenance level. But I've made $10K / year and $150K / year and never between the extremes did my worldview or desire to be left alone waver.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Did he pay his fair share?
He paid about 40% of his profit in taxes, being a sole proprietor give or take with NY state as well as federal taxes factored in. A higher rate than those who make most of their money off of stocks. Again, didn't complain

Old 02-21-2017, 06:37 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
This is a serious question. Considering conservatives are against minimum wage, against redistribution of wealth, against the commons (i.e. publicly funded things like police, schools, fire, etc), against unions, against healthcare. Really, what are they 'for'? And don't use the old personal responsibility line, because that isn't the question.

Why won't you let me have your stuff?

The Conservatives are right on this point. The problem is that they also take other people stuff by rentierism instead of direct transfer. So I suppose that they are hypocrites. If only liberals had any virtues other than stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies