Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 07:20 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,251,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
If Ellison wins the DNC chair, as it seems he will on Saturday, Sanders' political philosophy/policies/ direction will have won control of the DNC, in my opinion. Feel free to say why you don't.

Do you want the Democrat party to move further Left or move more to the center of the political spectrum? Why do you think your choice is a winning strategy for future elections?
If the democrats move any further left, then can open up their very own Pravda office.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:30 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
If the democrats move any further left, then can open up their very own Pravda office.
Ironic, considering that Chester Cheetah is trying to make our press as sycophantic as Pravda was.....

Old 02-25-2017, 07:53 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Harry S. Truman supposedly said, "if a voter has a choice between a Republican and a Democrat who acts like a Republican, they'll vote Republican every time."

Regardless of whether or not he actually said that, it's good advice. Starting with Bill Clinton, the Democrats have been moderate Republicans on economic issues. Clinton went along with the neoliberal free trade agreements, continued to allow illegal immigration, and signed the repeal of the Glass-Steagall act (which contributed to the 2008 financial crisis). That needs to stop.

ObamaCare was based on Republican ideas for a half-assed healthcare system that kept the big insurance companies in business.

The modern Democrats are progressive on social issues only, and most of that is just pandering.
I think part of the issue is not that "they'll vote Republican every time" but they'll NOT VOTE AT ALL.

Many people are sick of having a choice between right wing Republican and Republican lite. Both Sanders and Trump appealed to people because they appeared to be something other than the two standard choices. When Sanders didn't win the primaries, many of his supporters simply stayed home. Many people were energized by Trump because he appeared to represent something populist and different.

The DNC needs to figure out a way to get the young people to the polls, and that's not by staying Republican lite and focusing only on social issues that have a limited effect on many voters. Younger people want better job opportunities, access to decent health care, access to paid parental (not just maternity) leave, paid sick leave, access to higher education opportunities (both vocational and college) without insane costs, etc.

When they see a system that is more or less ignoring them, why would they bother to vote. What's the point?

Old 02-25-2017, 01:23 PM

15,629 posts, read 10,382,405 times
The DNC chose more traditional Democrat Tom Perez, Obama's Labor Secretary, for DNC chair today, not the Far Left Ellison supported by Bernie. Votes were 235 Perez and 200 Ellison.

Sounds like the Democrats have decided to stay right where they are on the political spectrum, moving neither center or Far Left.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 02-25-2017 at 01:44 PM..

Old 02-25-2017, 01:27 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,293 times
Further left.

I'm tired of center-right Democrats. I'm tired of center-right politics in general. We have so many decades now of evidence against the policies of supply-side economics and other right-wing mythologies.

I would like to vote for an actual liberal, progressive candidate. As it is, my only choice is "insane nutjob actual Republican" vs "non-insane Democrat positioning themselves as center right to compete with Republican".

Old 02-25-2017, 02:10 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
If Ellison wins the DNC chair, as it seems he will on Saturday, Sanders' political philosophy/policies/ direction will have won control of the DNC, in my opinion. Feel free to say why you don't.

Do you want the Democrat party to move further Left or move more to the center of the political spectrum? Why do you think your choice is a winning strategy for future elections?
I think the question is entirely superficial.

The views of Sanders were once not uncommon. FDR served 4 terms and fundamentally changed the Democratic party in a way that resembles the platform of Bernie Sanders way more than Bill Clinton, who is basically a Republican. If you look at someone like Hillary Clinton, she's got more in common with Eisenhower than she does with JFK.

I think the Democratic party needs to talk about leveling out the levels of wealth inequality. They need to bring up institutional ideals on how the average American can compete against massive corporations who obviously do not have their best interests at heart. How can the average American have a business, have healthcare, participate in politics, feel secure, be respect, etc. If that means moving to the left to you, then fine.

To put it simply, the Democrats need to be less superficial and actually fight the neoliberal policies put forth by the Republican party. Shift the narrative. Reagan has convinced whole generations that government is the enemy of freedom, that the hight of human thought in in the free market, and that what's best for the GDP is best for us all. Kill that ideal. It's an absurdity that harms Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies