Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 11:16 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I don't particularly like labels that seem to focus on a religion, but the reality is that the vast majority of the world's radical terrorists are Islamic/Muslims (ISIS, Boca Horum, Al Quaida, Hezbollah, etc).

Further, the Islamic/Muslim communities from which these terrorists are spawned, are virtually silent when it comes to condemning their actions.

The Bible foretold this radical behavior when the angel of the Lord spoke to Hagaar, the mother of Ishmael and direct ancestor of Mohammed:

Genesis 16:11-12 (ESV)
"11 And the angel of the Lord said to her, “Behold, you are pregnant and shall bear a son. You shall call his name Ishmael, because the Lord has listened to your affliction.

12 He shall be a wild donkey of a man, his hand against everyone and everyone's hand against him, and he shall dwell over against all his kinsmen.”
PS: Most of the people killed by terrorism and/or these wars in the ME are Muslims, and you are wrong to suggest that they are "virtually silent when it comes to condemning their actions." Hell, hundreds of thousands are dead. You're the one who is hearing only virtual silence, perhaps because your head is buried in the sand...

I don't particularly like labels either, nor people who raise the Bible over their head as if that book has the answers. There's a quote in there to suit just about any circumstance of the day, as people choose to interpret any of the over 31,000 versus, just like people of Islamic faith enjoy interpreting the Koran in whatever manner they wish.

Sure wish I could stay clear of all your ridiculous cross fire, but the nonsense and violence from all sides is impossible to escape!

Curious though..., is the donkey you reference Trump? Dwelling against all his kinsmen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 11:24 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
PS: Most of the people killed by terrorism and/or these wars in the ME are Muslims, and you are wrong to suggest that they are "virtually silent when it comes to condemning their actions." Hell, hundreds of thousands are dead. You're the one who is hearing only virtual silence, perhaps because your head is buried in the sand...

I don't particularly like labels either, nor people who raise the Bible over their head as if that book has the answers. There's a quote in there to suit just about any circumstance of the day, as people choose to interpret any of the over 31,000 versus, just like people of Islamic faith enjoy interpreting the Koran in whatever manner they wish.

Sure wish I could stay clear of all your ridiculous cross fire, but the nonsense and violence from all sides is impossible to escape!

Curious though..., is the donkey you reference Trump? Dwelling against all his kinsmen?

Not to mention that the majority of the people fighting against ISIS and the like groups are Muslims too. ISIS has killed far more fellow Muslims than they have Christians.

I applaud Gen. McMaster for his use of logic and reason, sadly I expect there will be a clash between him and the "Alt-Right" types within the Admin (ie: Bannon, Miller, etc). Trump would do well to listen to Pompeo, Mattis, and McMaster.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:42 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

Not to mention that the majority of the people fighting against ISIS and the like groups are Muslims too. ISIS has killed far more fellow Muslims than they have Christians.

I applaud Gen. McMaster for his use of logic and reason, sadly I expect there will be a clash between him and the "Alt-Right" types within the Admin (ie: Bannon, Miller, etc). Trump would do well to listen to Pompeo, Mattis, and McMaster.
Right. Thanks.

Trump will need to start accepting people in his administration who don't agree with his rhetoric, antics and even policy, because otherwise he'll find himself without a cabinet or staff. As I posted somewhere else before, of some 691 positions Trump needs to fill there are not even names of nominees for 631 yet (as of about a week ago).

DAVID BROOKS: Trump is sitting on the control deck of the starship Enterprise, and he can push a lot of pretty buttons, but those buttons aren’t connected to anything. And so nothing is happening.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:49 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,462,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post

Their violent and murderous attitude is first evident in the way they treat each other. It's the same with all violent cultures. The west experinced only a fraction of what their "brothers" do. But here is the question: if they are so, why would you want more in the west?
And to make things clear the majority of Muslims aren't mad dogs and suicide bombers. But the problem with this silent majority is that they are supporting and covering up o the mad dogs. In best case scenario it's saying nothing when they hear or see "something". Passively living in peace with horrific propaganda by radical Imams. In worst case is providing active support: hiding the killers, acting as messengers, scouting for them, donating a few bucks to their "charities". Especially when they belong to the same tribe.
From a broader perspective and beyond the current refugee crisis: the difference in cultures is acknowleged by all rational people. If so, why would the west flood their countries with more and more immigrants - a trend that's going on for 60 years.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:59 AM

26,507 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
He is right to say so, because there is nothing gained by implicating the religion rather than simply calling a terrorist a terrorist, regardless their source of demented violence. Obama further made the point, and rightfully so, that regardless the language, no words chosen actually serves to prevent these acts of terrorism. On the other hand, the rhetoric can very well raise the emotions of those targeted, like people of Islamic faith, against those who they feel are calling their faith into question.
It was actually Bush who started it and Obama adopted it.

Who said it? Bush vs. Obama on Islam | PBS NewsHour

Out of all of the dozens of Bush policies that Obama eventually adopted, this might be the best.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:18 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
If you are not willing to understand how Islam inspires terrorism around the world, then you will NEVER be able to figure out how to combat it at its source.

What a bunch of tautological nonsense - "Islam is against terrorism, so if you are a terrorist, you cannot be an Islamic terrorist."

READ the words that ISIS itself publishes. They are BEGGING you to understand their motivation, but of course, the white western liberals always know better, don't they? I've heard tortured justifications ranging from global warming to disenfranchisment and western imperialism. Which of course doens't explain why these blood wars between Sunni and Shia have been going on for over a thousand years, but I digress.

Of COURSE they are motivated by Islam. Of COURSE they find justification for their actions in the Koran. OF COURSE terrorism carried out in the name of Islam is ISLAMIC TERRORISM.

And if YOU and OTHERS aren't actively combatting that (what you think is a misconception or misinterpretation), then you aren't helping. Because somewhere, someone IS selling the opposite and HAS been with great success (and misery for much of the world) for the past 1400 years.

When Dylan Roof entered that church and killed those people, did we shy away from the IDEOLOGIES that underpin his belief system and which may have inspired him? Did we say, "nah, he's just a terrorist. Not a right wing, racially motivated terrorist. Clearly there must be some other reason at play here."

Did left wingers hesitate to call him a "right wing terrorist?" Wouldn't it have been silly to say, "well technically white nationalism doesn't advocate killing black people..."?

Have some goddamned moral consistency. STOP fellating ISLAM. As a "software" in which to run a society it's pretty awful and if progressive people could stop pretending it's anything less than a fascist political ideology with a god complex, that would be GREAT.

Or perhaps you all can point to some modern day examples of free and progressive societies where Islam and Sharia law is the majority? When was the last gay pride parade in a Muslim majority country? Anybody?

Old 02-25-2017, 12:22 PM

1,478 posts, read 789,168 times
Paper Tigers = Americans.

All that money, manpower, technology and these girl scouts (Americans) are wracking their brains over what to call ISIS.

Hey, KKK, I'm a mulatto dude. I will no longer call you guys white guys or Christians. I'm sure that will end both racism and white people sympathizing with you. I will now just call you humans. See, Democrats have been spreading racism throughout America by attaching racism to the label of "white people" or "white men."

McMaster I served in the military too. As an enlisted. But notice the greatest President Brazil ever had had no more than a 4th grade education and worked most his adult life in blue collar work, losing a finger to a factory machine. He could do what a million Brazilian politicians with doctoral degrees couldn't do. In his own words: "Do the obvious."

So, McMaster's thinks calling ISIS unIslamic will end terrorism within the Islamic world. Obama flattered Islam and that did not stop Muslims from Europe flooding into Iraq and Syria to join ISIS. Hey, KKK, I'm calling you all non-whites from now. Wow, look, white people magically flee from the KKK now.

McMaster's can shut that West Point or Havard officer stuff up with me if I were President because like Lula I'm going to do the obvious, which means I will call them the obvious: Dead. D. E. A. D.

And it's not going to take me 15 months start killing you. As soon as I'm sworn into office you know hours are only ticking on the clock for you. Now, you want to talk peace. Why? Because you know I'm going to get warmed up by dropping one or more tactical nukes on you.

Maybe what McMaster's needs to do is call the guys unIslamic and give them each over $1 million dollars. And if they still hook up with a terrorist outfit maybe just send their wives with children in tow to beg them to be Islamic and return home.

Or maybe you can stop acting like a paper tiger and stop wracking your brains over what to call them. Had you already anihilated them you could be calling them DEAD.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:33 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,072,162 times
We use the terms White Supremacists and White Nationalists and the term Black Panthers - nobody with any sense thinks for one moment that all whites are racist or that all blacks are racist. No one with any sense thought that all Irish were violent when the IRA was formed and named. They are descriptives of a subset of whites, blacks, Irish etc. just as radical Islamic terrorists are a subset of that religion. If the name offends come up with another one that accurately describes what we are facing. But using disclaimers Every. Single. Time a terrorist attack occurs around the world is a waste of time and energy. Fight the actions. We know who they are. Everyone knows who they are. Get on with it.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:39 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,344,621 times
Fascinating topic. So many sides to consider.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
He is right but he is also wrong. The enemy needs to be identified properly so they can be eradicated.
The devote followers of Islam should not be offended because the majority of them are not a problem. They are not radical.
We may honestly believe that Muslims should not be offended by certain language or political statements or actions like the travel ban but our belief is in the end meaningless if, in fact, they *are* offended, which so many are. McMasters would not take on a needless semantic fight with Trump and portions of his Administration had he not based upon his years of experience in the ME believe it to be important. Why should he?

Quote:
I am sure that good Muslims throughout the world are not happy that a small percentage of their fellows have turned to terrorism and murder to spread the message of the Koran.
Certainly, most Muslims oppose terrorism but support for Islamization is spreading throughout the world. Maybe call it a clash of civilizations, a rejection of Western influence accompanied certainly by anti-Americanism. It IS real but to conflate that with terrorism is a mistake - one that you seem to recognize.

Quote:
What I don't understand is how terrorism is tolerated in the middle east. Does the majority of people approve of isis?
Do the leaders of the countries where isis and groups like them thrive allow them to practice their terror?

We have groups in the USA that would claim a Christian background that some call militias and others call a bunch of nuts with guns waiting for the apocalypse and they are tolerated because they are not attacking the public. If they did choose to attack the Gov. or citizens they would be shut down quickly by law enforcement.
Groups like ISIS thrive in countries where there is no leadership or law enforcement. One of our great mistakes in Iraq was to disband the Iraqi army and internal police thereby removing a force that would have exercised some degree of control and force for moderation. Countries that remain somewhat intact like Jordan devote enormous resources to identifying and stamping out terrorism - at great cost and personal risk to many. Our careless rhetoric - not to mention unwise actions like the invasion of Iraq - only undercuts their efforts.

The story of the Sunni tribes and their relationship to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the founder of the group that morphed into ISIS is so complex that I cannot begin to do it justice. The short and brutal life of Zarqawi, in fact, appalled many tribal leaders and they rejected both him and his teachings not to mention his brutality. Even Osama bin Laden counseled against it, fearing he would alienate the mainstream Muslims whose support they sought.

Zarqawi's successors, however, were initially more subtle in trying to win tribal support or at least their acquiescence by offering security against the Sh-ite-led central government in Baghdad. Maliki's government was a disaster. In the end, the tribes were trapped - caught between ISIS and the Sh-ites seeking revenge for years of Sunni domination.

One of the purposes of the ISIS atrocities was, in fact, again not religious in nature but psychological warfare to dominate and prevent internal uprisings. Similar tactics were used by Vlad the Impaler (a good Christian) against the Muslim Ottomans. Fear.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:56 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,847,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
He is right but he is also wrong. The enemy needs to be identified properly so they can be eradicated.
The devote followers of Islam should not be offended because the majority of them are not a problem. They are not radical.

We have seen many groups over the years that have claimed their roots to be Christian and they use the bible as a shield to defend their radical ideals but we don't hear other Christians complaining.

I am sure that good Muslims throughout the world are not happy that a small percentage of their fellows have turned to terrorism and murder to spread the message of the Koran.

What I don't understand is how terrorism is tolerated in the middle east. Does the majority of people approve of isis?
Do the leaders of the countries where isis and groups like them thrive allow them to practice their terror?

We have groups in the USA that would claim a Christian background that some call militias and others call a bunch of nuts with guns waiting for the apocalypse and they are tolerated because they are not attacking the public. If they did choose to attack the Gov. or citizens they would be shut down quickly by law enforcement.

Terrorists need to be identified as the smear on an otherwise peaceful religion that they are so they can be cut out.
I'm unaware of a single country that supports ISIS. Perhaps you could point one out. Its also not clear that the majority of people in any country support ISIS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies