Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 07:00 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Obviously, but many Jews do see themselves as a separate ethnic group, not just followers of a particular religion. "Jews" are at least as valid a non-white category as "Hispanics".
An ethnic group does not make up a separate race
Most Hispanics are a mixture of European white (Caucasian Spanish) and Native American which are originally from Asia. The vast majority of Jews are Caucasian, not mixed race. They may have a different culture, and ethnicity but are not their own race. If you can't recognize the difference between an ethnic group and a race, do some more reading.

Last edited by marino760; 02-27-2017 at 07:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 07:02 AM

1,194 posts, read 726,641 times
Quote:
You mad bro?
I'm a lover not hater!!!

Old 02-27-2017, 07:06 AM

5,280 posts, read 6,214,639 times
I'm liberal but who is/is not nominated for Academy Awards is really pretty fricking low on the list of problems in our society. And for whatever reason movies seem to come in waves. So we'll have years with a large number of minority or foreign nominees then other years with none. I think the ebb & flow has started to flatten out to a degree that the overall numbers look proportionate in the acting categories.

I personally have no problem with AA nominees over representing their general population # one year and under representing the next when it balances out. The funny thing about Oscarsowhite is that you don't see anyone complaining about the lack of Hispanic nominees other than Chris Rock. And we don't see similar gripes about religious breakdowns among nominees.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:09 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I just thought that "mistake" by Warren Beatty was contrived and obviously staged. Get some controversy and buzz and let the morning news jockeys jabber about the Oscars when otherwise the lame boring show would be quickly forgotten. Didn't that dingus Steve Harvey pull the same phony stunt like a year ago? Whats next, somebody staging a fight or faking a heart attack?
And, yes, its mostly based on backroom politics and wheeling and dealing but its been like that for decades. Just like the Nobel peace Prize and most other awards. When it comes down to it, who really cares and does it really matter?
I didn't watch the show last night, but did see the videos this morning of the error. You may be on the right track since it took over two minutes for anyone to correct the error.

When Steve Harvey announced the wrong winner at Miss Universe last year someone corrected it immediately.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:14 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
If I don't see Latinos or Asians in there, I'm not watching.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:16 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Think so, huh?
We could do one year with just Jewish people, next year, Japanese , Godzilla

Old 02-27-2017, 07:17 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I'm liberal but who is/is not nominated for Academy Awards is really pretty fricking low on the list of problems in our society. And for whatever reason movies seem to come in waves. So we'll have years with a large number of minority or foreign nominees then other years with none. I think the ebb & flow has started to flatten out to a degree that the overall numbers look proportionate in the acting categories.

I personally have no problem with AA nominees over representing their general population # one year and under representing the next when it balances out. The funny thing about Oscarsowhite is that you don't see anyone complaining about the lack of Hispanic nominees other than Chris Rock. And we don't see similar gripes about religious breakdowns among nominees.
I'm liberal too, but blacks are way overrepresented in entertainment. Like 13% of the population, but 30-50% of the entertainment industry. Latinos are 17%, but we're lucky if we get into one major movie that isn't stereotypical material. If foreigners watched out TV and movies, they'd probably think the US is ONLY whites and blacks. Everyone else is an immigrant in the deep background

Old 02-27-2017, 07:17 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
I think we saw Oscar reparations in action last night, delivered with heaping spoonfuls of liberal nonsense. Hollywood is so out of touch with mainstream America.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:25 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times
Or maybe the performances were just that good? I saw every single Oscar nominated movie for the "big 6" (actress, actor, supporting actress, actor, picture, director).

I am a self-proclaimed movie buff. I am a moderator on two movie forums and also a moderator on a large Facebook movie group. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but just want to make the point that I love, love, love movies, cinema is my #1 passion in life.

That said, every black nominee this year earned it, there were no "pity" noms.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:27 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
I would have rather seen Hidden Figures win Best Picture. Wow. The film depicted the three Black women's achievement against multiple obstacles: racism, sexism, etc. Very inspiring movie about a topic not frequently explored by Hollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies