Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 02:24 PM

25,559 posts, read 17,267,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
What would the ban accomplish? The guns are already out there and I don't see criminals giving their guns up any time soon. My grandpa has an M1 Carbine that's been sitting in his gun cabinet for decades. So it's not like the ban will magically make these firearms dry up.

The time for any ban would have been in the early 1900s before more and more guns were put into hands of Americans.
It would take many years before any effect would be felt.
See the above post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 02:28 PM

18,720 posts, read 7,601,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
The Laws are just fine to be and the only problem is criminals not respecting the law.
That sounds a lot like Neville Chamberlain, who said on his deathbed, "If only Hitler hadn't lied to me...."

It's pretty big IF.

And your "the only problem is criminals not respecting the law...." says it all about "gun control" laws. It explains why they are completely useless. And in fact counterproductive, when law-abiding citizens give up some of the right to own a gun, and the criminals keep theirs.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:33 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,876,904 times
Lax in what regard? Me I have no issue with a waiting period, background checks and denying felons from owning guns. I'm not into black guns, but have no issue with people owning them. Relatively few crimes are committed using AR style weapons.
Now what I think we are too laxed on is penalties for gun violations. Those straw purchases made for gangs. Gun shops selling guns violating laws. etc.
I also think that mental patients who have demonstrated violent tendencies should be on banned list.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:35 PM

45,340 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
More like the latter.

You're typical, though. I say "almost all semi-automatic weapons" and you seize on the semi-automatic weapon most likely to actually be useful for hunting.
You weren't specific as to hunting, which is mentioned nowhere in the Constitution, by the way.

You know, or should as a firearms expert and gun control advocate, the ones you wish to ban are used, a lot, for hunting, and very rarely in the mass shooting events your ban purports to control.

As a note, I'm not an owner of the ones you wish to ban so some could say I have no dog in the fight. Except, once "the most dangerous type of firearm available" is banned you gun confiscators (and that's what you really are despite your protestations) will anoint another type of gun as "the most dangerous type of firearm available" and advocate for its banning and eventual confiscation.

Every journey begins with a single step.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:43 PM

50,250 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
More like the latter.

You're typical, though. I say "almost all semi-automatic weapons" and you seize on the semi-automatic weapon most likely to actually be useful for hunting.
An ar is my main hunting weapon.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:57 PM

6,260 posts, read 5,067,669 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xUCI3nJsQ

Old 02-27-2017, 03:09 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Have you actually read the US constitution in its entirety?
apparently you missed the second amendment, in its entirety.

Quote:
Where do you think criminals get their guns from? Do you think there's an illegal producer of guns somewhere? Are they farming guns secretly in the fields? Do they have an illicit gun mine where they mine out guns?

No, it's from lax purchase laws which allow people to buy those guns in volumes that they should never be allowed to have had in the first place. Your logic doesn't hold--the criminals are getting guns from stores. The guns aren't traced very well, so people can purchase guns for criminal entities and for sale on the black market easily. These guns have their origins in what are currently legal sales. I want that to stop and I want the feds to be able to put a boot up the ass of anyone who is trying to purchase guns from legal gun stores for the black market--but I'd like that they are able to track the ass the boot goes up in.
no criminals are NOT getting guns from stores these days, and havent been since the brady law went into effect. you remember that law, the reason anyone buying a gun from a gun store has to go through a background check?

where criminals get their guns these days is through theft, usually burglary of homes, and through the black market, gun sellers who sell from the trunks of their cars, or their private homes.

and there are actually laws that are supposed to prevent that from happening, including straw purchases. for instance here in arizona it is illegal to sell or give a firearm to someone who is not legally allowed to own a firearm, and the penalty for that is ten years in prison.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:12 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,707,766 times
Pro gun folks, let's just remember this: gun rights are getting better and better every year. Several states have added concealed carry laws. Even anti-gun Illinois got concealed carry a few years ago. Sure, there are a few outliers, but on average, things are looking better for us.

Maybe this current administration can get some bills passed to prevent states from banning semi-automatic firearms and standard capacity magazines.

I'd also like to see a law preventing states/counties/cities from prohibiting concealed carry permits from being issued.

Old 02-27-2017, 03:18 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,800,976 times
Quote:
There needs to be accountability. The guns and ammunition needs to be traceable. I love my fellow citizens as much as I could, not physically for the most part, but you are not entitled without knowledge and trust to own and operate an elegant machine that can so greatly screw things up for others to such a great extent, and by extension, paint people like me with the same stripe in the same broad stroke for non gun-owners as an idiot or psychopath (that's fine, that's your prerogative)--I am not part of the idiot or psychopathic squad (and if I were, take my firearms away, sure).
How would you go about tracing ammunition?
Mebbie some micro-engraving like on diamonds?
Your statement supporting tracing ammunition makes
me doubt the sincerity of your entire post.
If you practice at all, you might go through a thousand
or so rounds a year. The price of ammo would be unaffordable.
Also, does this proposal ban reloading?

Old 02-27-2017, 03:22 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,883,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Pro gun folks, let's just remember this: gun rights are getting better and better every year. Several states have added concealed carry laws. Even anti-gun Illinois got concealed carry a few years ago. Sure, there are a few outliers, but on average, things are looking better for us.

Maybe this current administration can get some bills passed to prevent states from banning semi-automatic firearms and standard capacity magazines.

I'd also like to see a law preventing states/counties/cities from prohibiting concealed carry permits from being issued.
Of all the people who wants freedoms. Liberals are hateful to Gun Owners.

As posted Guns laws are fine and Florida has recently went with Open Carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies