Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2017, 09:20 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times

Advertisements

While meanwhile, back at the ranch...

The U.S. is talking "pre-emptive strike" against North Korea, and what can be better than to have someone like Trump play quien es mas macho with Kim Jong-un?

Right. Back to the real story of Obama wire-tapping Trump with the help of the Brits...

Old 03-17-2017, 09:30 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,347,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
And why do you think that happened? IMO Trump isn't ready for this whole charade to end yet, which means he hasn't gotten something he wants yet.

DC is desperate for this whole ugly mess to end. Before that happens though, I suspect Trump wants acknowledgement that yes, someone in the Obama administration tried to obtain FISA warrants to go after Trump and his campaign.

There's a good reason Obama is tucked safely away in French Polynesia, safe from the prying eyes of the MSM.
No doubt you're right. Watch Trump's face carefully on the Tucker Carlson interview. I stream, so could repeat. Trump's face is neutral but then at key points (the "accusations, his "response") shows hurt then OUTRAGE.

Trump cannot separate himself from the office and no argument that he is a genius at getting others into the same mind-think.

No President can AFFORD to be linked in any way to possible criminal connections, which for Trump right now is Stone, Page, Manafort. Why? Because almost certainly there will be noise (press, conspiracy theories) and politicalization (Clinton campaign) and an official response (intel investigations).

Trump is choosing to place any actions he thinks Obama (or his Administration) took from the last category (official response) to the second (political).

Is Obama capable of drawing the distinction? Based upon his history, I would say yes though, no doubt, being human he may take a certain delight at how it unfolds.

Is Trump? Based upon HIS history, no way. The man is a disaster. No dividing lines or any respect for this thing called "facts." It's all him, him, him. They are *against* ME. And I will win.

If there are investigations that may not have otherwise occurred (i.e., Manafort could have continued quite quietly to amass his millions in the Ukraine) it is simply because the standards and the scrutiny level for a US President are higher than for a reality TV host / marketer. This what intel is SUPPOSED to do.

This is pretty basic stuff. So basic that it is Trump's response that now fuels the conspiracies for a sensible person would simply let it die not inflame the situation further.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:35 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I am hoping Kasich teams up with people like Evan McMullin and Ahnuld (aka Arnold Schwarzenegger) to form a new center-right political party once he leaves office.
After the mess Arnold made out of California you should hope that he never runs for an office of any kind, anywhere.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Yes you're right, there was chatter beforehand, but IMO Trump's joke set the MSM on fire.

It wouldn't surprise me if Trump strings this out for awhile. He knows his tweets are nonsense, but IMO he's royally ticked off and wants acknowledgement the Obama administration played fast and loose. From Eli Lake -

"There is already some evidence to suggest Nunes and Schiff are onto something. On March 1, the New York Times reported that in the final days and weeks of the Obama administration, White House officials rushed to preserve and distribute intelligence on connections between Russia and Trump's associates throughout the government. In practice this meant that raw intelligence was processed into analytical reports and classified at a relatively low level. "As Inauguration Day approached, Obama White House officials grew convinced that the intelligence was damning and that they needed to ensure that as many people as possible inside government could see it," according to the Times.

Did this raw intelligence include Flynn's calls with the Russian ambassador? Depending on what Schiff and Nunes turn up, this could be a real scandal, particularly if the names of other Trump associates picked up in incidental surveillance were unmasked and distributed widely within the government."

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...onto-something
Fine - but remember Trump accused Obama of actions that occurred BEFORE the election. If he objects to post-election Obama Administration decisions, should he not have addressed those?

Personally, I don't see Trump "conspiring" with Putin in a way that endangers the homeland although I suppose it's possible that not having a good sense of appropriate dividing lines that Trump could have been caught in some conversation or even action that might be profoundly embarrassing or even have political implications.

A question, though. If there is "damning" intelligence should it not be preserved? Given Trump's Presidential roadmap to date, it's pretty clear that Obama is right - no doubt that Trump has the capability of becoming the King of Cover-uppers.

The larger implications about intelligence and privacy? Certainly worth asking and considering. My take is that there had to have been profound fury about the Comey letter in October - that exacerbated old FBI - other intel divisions.

A mad Trump acts in ways unwise. No doubt that's true of others. Time will tell.

It was a nasty election with fallout that continues to this day.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:56 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,933,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The problem here is that Trump gets his news from fake news sources. For all of his BS and tweeting about fake news and the 'failing' NY Times, in fact, the NY Times does research stories, does have good sources, as does the Washington Post. There are reporters at the Times who have gone to jail rather than betray their sources--I'd like to see Bret Baier or Sean Hannity do that, but they won't because they have no real sources.

But Trump and his devoted base of supporters, choose to get their news from false sources and then attack the real press that does not print fake news. Trump has repeated false news time and time again.

During the campaign he repeated lies and conspiracy theories about Clinton, Cruz, Obama and pretty much everything the Enquirer, Fox News, WND, Alex Jones, Mark Levin, Gateway Pundit put out there. (By Fox News, I mean to refer to Sean Hannity, Bret Baier, Pirro, Napolitano and their ilk of conspiracy pushers and rumor mongers, and not people like former anchor Meghan Kelly or Bill O'Reilly).

Hannity, et.al. consistently repeat lies as fact, their opinions as fact, rumors and gossip as fact and their gullible viewers believe it.

This so-called president is the most reckless irresponsible person ever to sit in this office. He is dangerous and he is ignorant, which is why he believes all kinds of garbage as truth. This is the nut job who headed the birther investigation in which he claimed that he would be proven correct. He wasn't, and he produced none of the promised evidence.

He is doing the same thing now with this 'wire tap(p)' BS. This embarrassing president and this era will not be treated kindly by history. It will be a giant embarrassing black mark on our country. He will lie and lie and lie without any repercussions, which is why he continues to lie.

That embarrassing mishmash of 'evidence' read by Spicer at the press conference is an insult to all thinking people. The GOP (aside from a few with balls) is embarrassing themselves by not speaking out about this entire fiasco.

Fake news website created to test Donald Trump supporters' gullibility - Reveals they will believe anything | The Independent

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...fake-news.html
Thanks for reminding everyone that there is indeed a difference between fantasy and reality. You have to realize though, that only a small percentage of hard liners ACTUALLY BELIEVE the garbage coming out of Donald Trump's brain and mouth. Trump learned long ago that he could say whatever he wanted, in order to lash back at his enemies and critics, and he didn't need any real defense for his statements; just keep repeating it and never apologize. It remains to be seen whether this strategy will work as the President of the United States. This is a whole new ball game and I don't think he understands that he cannot prevail with that tactic. However I think his staff, especially Bannon, CLEARLY understand that he won't get by with this. Sometimes I wonder if they are waiting in the wings for Trump to crash and burn.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:04 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Is Trump? Based upon HIS history, no way. The man is a disaster. No dividing lines or any respect for this thing called "facts." It's all him, him, him. They are *against* ME. And I will win.
I don't think he's a disaster, but he is a fighter and a good counter-puncher. That's one of the things many of his supporters liked about him, but now it's a liability Now he's president and political fights can be polarizing. Politicians are weasels and they HATE taking sides.

With any luck Pence will grab his ear and walk him through this rough stretch.

What are your predictions for Comey's comments on Monday?

Old 03-17-2017, 10:13 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Speaking of fighters and ears...

Reminds me of Mike Tyson, who was a pretty good fighter too, but he made the decision to bite off Holyfield's ear. Not too smart as far as most people are concerned, but a good fighter!

Ugh...

Old 03-17-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
I don't think he's a disaster, but he is a fighter and a good counter-puncher. That's one of the things many of his supporters liked about him, but now it's a liability Now he's president and political fights can be polarizing. Politicians are weasels and they HATE taking sides.

With any luck Pence will grab his ear and walk him through this rough stretch.

What are your predictions for Comey's comments on Monday?
No idea. Comey ended up in the soup once. Add in possible concern about the FBI as an institution and any intel infighting ... the politics ... confidentiality constraints. PLUS, if he is now forced to finally admit that there WERE ongoing investigations connected to or close to the Trump campaign that he refused to confirm - at the same time that he wrote the October letter about more Clinton e-mails ... Democrats will go ballistic.

Here, it's a surprise there isn't more press commentary about Comey. Clinton was a flawed candidate ... wikileaks did not help but if forced to choose one determinative factor in the election results I'd say the Comey letter - at least as shown by the trends and dates of the national polls. There *could* have been less statistical impact demonstrated by the key swing state polls. Didn't look.

Look on the bright side. Here, for once Trump is not the one blamed.

Last edited by EveryLady; 03-17-2017 at 10:31 AM..

Old 03-17-2017, 10:50 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
It's funny to hear Spicer saying reporters are taking the President too literally, makes me wonder if he'll ever be completely honest and tell them they shouldn't believe anything the President says at all.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:53 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It's funny to hear Spicer saying reporters are taking the President too literally, makes me wonder if he'll ever be completely honest and tell them they shouldn't believe anything the President says at all.
That would be fun, to see Spicer get so sick of being the President's toady that he just snaps and turns on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies