Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 08:52 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
A more rampant rumor of Muslim or Arab-Americans cheering the attacks centered around nearby Paterson, N.J. But that turned out to be just a rumor, spawned by chain emails and perpetuated by shock jock Howard Stern’s radio show.

The Star-Ledger reported that as the rumors spread, "Paterson police rushed to South Main Street, the center of the city's Middle Eastern community."

"When we got there, they were all in prayer," Paterson Police Chief Lawrence Spagnola said.

Fact-checking Trump's claim that thousands in New Jersey cheered when World Trade Center tumbled | PolitiFact

"For the great enemy of truth is very often not the lie--deliberate, contrived and dishonest--but the myth--persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic. Too often we hold fast to the cliches of our forebears. We subject all facts to a prefabricated set of interpretations. We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- JFK

https://www.jfklibrary.org/Research/...t-Address.aspx
PolitiFact is not a credible "fact checking" source. Trump was proven to be correct, and videos have documented it. Many Muslims did cheer. That is a fact.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:54 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"What about all those anonymous intelligence officials quoted week after week in the NYT, WaPo and all the cables hinting darkly at Trump-Russian connections? You folks forget all about them already?"

Lefties have "selective" memory.

It is amazing how many things they have "forgotten" over the years I have been on here!
Never fails the "what about what you guys did" defense, but again and again, two wrongs do NOT make a right!

I will give you credit, however, for even reading these threads and comments that don't excuse all Trump's doings no matter what, because lots and lots of Trump supporters have resorted to the ignore feature in this forum to avoid reading comments by posters who communicate anything critical about Trump.

Confirmation bias, alive and strong, as evidenced by your comment as well.

If we justify a present wrong doing with past wrong doing, then we will forever by excusing and promoting further wrong doing...

Old 03-14-2017, 08:59 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
A more rampant rumor of Muslim or Arab-Americans cheering the attacks centered around nearby Paterson, N.J. But that turned out to be just a rumor, spawned by chain emails and perpetuated by shock jock Howard Stern’s radio show.

The Star-Ledger reported that as the rumors spread, "Paterson police rushed to South Main Street, the center of the city's Middle Eastern community."

"When we got there, they were all in prayer," Paterson Police Chief Lawrence Spagnola said.

Fact-checking Trump's claim that thousands in New Jersey cheered when World Trade Center tumbled | PolitiFact

"For the great enemy of truth is very often not the lie--deliberate, contrived and dishonest--but the myth--persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic. Too often we hold fast to the cliches of our forebears. We subject all facts to a prefabricated set of interpretations. We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- JFK

https://www.jfklibrary.org/Research/...t-Address.aspx
Nice links, but you assume I heard a rumor or Howard Stern (which I never even heard about before). UNDERSTAND that I am WTC survivor and a person who speaks out against blanket prejudice against Muslims, because...I am a WTC survivor, and it was a place where all races and religions and countries got along and worked well together on a day-to-day basis.

A fellow survivor, a Muslim, told me that he and two other Muslim survivors learned of the celebration in Paterson that night and went to confront them. The police were there and saw them arguing and took the three of them into the police car. They explained what had happened to them that day. The cops said that they had sympathy, but they were keeping the activities contained and quiet and out of the press for fear that angry people would come into Paterson and there would be violence. This dovetails nicely with the police chief's statement you provided above, doesn't it? They asked them to please leave and let the celebration just play itself out. The neighborhood there is primarily Palestinian, and their reactions to an attack on the US should not be a shock. Not saying it's right. Just that it should be no surprise, given the complications of what is/was going on in their part of the world.

Now. You may choose not to believe this story. It's no skin off my nose if you don't. I choose to believe my coworker. He had zero reason to lie or make up this story. A moderate Muslim, born in Turkey but in the US since childhood, his faith was badly shaken by 9/11, and like all of us there that day, compounded by the PTSD from what we saw and heard, which was the context in which we had the conversation.

However--on topic--I'm pretty sure Donald Trump did not see this.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:01 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I call BS on this. Actually, your statement is accurate, but I don't think the American public believes this. If this were true, Trump et al would have come out and said that right after the statement was made. Instead they let it fester in the minds of Americans.
I believe this is where Trump and company are headed with this. Trump went off half-cocked with his idiotic tweet about Obama bugging his phone and then realized he had stepped in it. The stalling for time ploy doesn't seem to be working so now they're trying a new tack by backpedalling and claiming Trump was speaking generally and not referring to Obama specifically, even though he referred to Obama specifically, and not referring to a wiretap specifically, even though he referred to a wiretap specifically. And it will probably work to some extent. Eventually it will blow over. But in the meantime Trump has an awful lot of egg on his face.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:02 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
PolitiFact is not a credible "fact checking" source. Trump was proven to be correct, and videos have documented it. Many Muslims did cheer. That is a fact.
Just not in the United States, as Trump claimed. THAT is a fact.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I think you are full of B.S.

I haven't forgotten the "gun" thread where you CONSTANTLY repeated the same B.S. over and over EVEN AFTER some tried to "educate" you.

You IGNORED them and continued to spout your B.S.
"Educate" me?

If you and others in those gun threads fancy yourselves as "educators," don't quit your day jobs...

I will admit that reasoning with most gun enthusiasts proved pointless and most couldn't get past their want to "educate" long enough to understand my conclusion about gun control. No matter. I would hate to see yet another thread hijacked by that topic, but nice try...

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ns-banned.html

Old 03-14-2017, 09:04 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
"What about all those anonymous intelligence officials quoted week after week in the NYT, WaPo and all the cables hinting darkly at Trump-Russian connections? You folks forget all about them already?"

Lefties have "selective" memory.

It is amazing how many things they have "forgotten" over the years I have been on here!
No. Perhaps the problem is that we remember accurately with our brains not fried by excess Hannity-watching.

The implication of the tweets is that the Obama Administration tried to swing the election. Not so.

The source of the speculation about Trump and the Russians that built up over time? Those stories began with Trump. Month by month. The constant references to Putin. The mistruths about having met him. Trump's refusal to accept the conclusion of the intel community that Russian hackers were behind the DNC hack. Trump's "joke" that the Russians try to find the missing Clinton e-mails. The Russian ties of some of his campaign aides fed the rising flames.

Press speculation about possible Trump associate ties to Russia really leaped forward in August 2016 when Roger Stone started tweeting about forthcoming Wiki releases. How did he know? Stone baited the Clinton campaign - that, in turn, helped push their allegations about Trump acting like a Putin puppet. Tit for tat.

The leaks began AFTER the election. I believe that the FISA story was broken by Louise Mensch. Heat Street. An EXCLUSIVE scoop. The date? November 7, 2016. 10:18 pm. Election eve. Pretty late to influence next morning's election - particularly since many votes had already been cast. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

https://heatst.com/world/exclusive-f...ies-to-russia/

The timing for Trump's essential charge - again that the Obama Administration tried to swing the election with selective leaks - simply does not work.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:08 AM

10,757 posts, read 4,344,063 times
When you say Obama, you can often be referring to the Obama administration.
Plus there is a presumption that whatever the Obama administration does is triggered by Obama to an extent.
And when you use twitter you try to avoid long words like 'administration' in order to save your number of characters.
So when I read President Trump's tweet, I took "Obama" as being Obama's administration or Obama's people etc.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:09 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Its sad to see lefties proposing public hangings and not understanding the difference between committing perjury and tweeting.
"Pretzeling" ^

Old 03-14-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well at least I offered ONE of many sources that have debunked this nonsense, but all that compared to your one comment stating otherwise without any source whatsoever should be good enough for anyone I suppose...

You a graduate of Trump University perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies